1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overheating USB adapter!?

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by BonaSwirl, 25 Jun 2011.

1. BonaSwirl

BonaSwirl Doesn't pay the electricity bill

Hi

This may be the wrong place to post this but as it's an issue that's come around since I started folding I thought I'd mention it to you guys.

The other day I decided to go down the bigadv route. Previous to this I'd only been folding about 16 hours a day but to fold bigadv I obviously decided to go 24 hours a day. I'd never had any problems with my USB wireless adapter in the last couple of years but now when I turned my screen on this morning it's saying that I can't connect to the internet and upon removing the USB adapter the actual metal connector is very warm. I let it cool down again before plugging it back in to a different port to see if the same happened again. Unfortunately it did and within 15 minutes the USB adapter overheated and stopped showing in windows. I checked the other USB ports to see if they were also getting hot and they're not.

The USB adapter is an Edimax EW-7711UAn

Anyone know what could be going wrong?!

Thanks

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

got another PC you can try it in?

3. BonaSwirl

Yes, I need to wait as I only have a mac (I'm sorry) and my PC. I'll try it in my Dad's PC later today. It seems even if I plug it into my mac it gets incredibly hot even though it isn't being used. By incredibly hot I'm talking when I touch the connector it's uncomfortable to hold.

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

If it's doing it in every PC it's plugged into, then the problem is [most likely] with the adaptor

...and some people swear by macs, personally i tend to swear at them. And they can fold too.

5. BonaSwirl

It just puzzled me as it's been fine and this only happened once I'd moved over to 24/7 folding. Most likely is it's just overheated. I'll see how it fairs in another PC.

I've only got a macbook so folding on it is scary with how hot it becomes so I stopped that quite quickly. Macs are useful for small arbitrary tasks I find, although I could quite easily live without it. Obviously there are people who use them for some of the pro software that's available for them but I just use mine as it's difficult to take my desktop with me when I'm watching tele or on the train. A PC, however, is very useful and I definitely couldn't live without!