1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Cor Leonis

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Attila, 28 Feb 2011.

1. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Your previous projects where one of the reasons why I dared to try scratch build my self, and now more! Really inspiring work! :thumb:

2. Nitrixflare

Nitrixflare Building and engineering enthusiast

wow i seriously wish you were family.

3. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I am so very disappointed that I missed this fantastic project until now. I guess I owe uni for this injustice :(.

I love what I am seeing Attila, another A grade project from you. I smell a MOTY hat trick in the works :D.

Using a flex adapter to mount the GPU as you did is pure genius, I have only seen it done a few times but never to the degree of perfection you have achieved.

4. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Haha, thanks....., I think. :hehe:

Thanks Wayne. :thumb:

Thanks mate. :thumb: And no need to bow, your skills are more than a match for anyone. ;)

Thanks. :thumb:

Thanks Craig. :)

Thanks mate, I hope you are/stay well. :)

Thanks., No welding, all that forms any part of the 'outside' will be covered with GRP, shaped and painted. I'm lucky enough to have a good camera but some adjusting and playing around is still required. I make sure a lot of photos are shot at any one time so at the very least I can find just one keeper. When ever you see an update, it's possible that the few pics on show were chosen from a hundred or more. If your camera has a few adjustments try taking a shot with differing settings to give you a choice when selection time comes. Having said that, I've seen stunning photos taken with phone cameras. So you should be able to take a good photo with anything that takes an image. :)

That I've inspired you is high praise indeed., thank you. :thumb:

Haha., well we are kinda like a family here. ;)

Well welcome aboard mate., :thumb: I'd say that your studies are the number one priority right now. ;)

5. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

I hope you can get your health issue(s) diagnosed and treated promptly. There are no problems like having health problems. Of course you don't have to comment if you don't feel free too, but what problem(s) are you having?

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I hope all is well with your health.

Did a double take on the rolling mill. I forgot about that. The outside promises to be very interesting now that you are working with the bendable stuff. (Not to say that the frame isn't totally neat-O.:D)

Last edited: 28 Jun 2011
  7. Stark.Jr

Stark.Jr What's a Dremel?

i hope that you will get bether and keep on modding like no one else :)
    //Stark.Jr

8. shomann

shomann Minimodder

It's funny, I haven't been on bit-tech as much as I used to be, but I was just wondering when I was going to see another Oldnewby/Attila creation. Maybe I should have looked harder ;)

Impressive as always Attila. I loved you commentary on a "tool is a tool". If you can't shut up the detractors, I am not sure who can. Besides, what I have noticed is that when a modder gets things like a CNC machine or lathe, they tend to keep pushing the boundaries of what THOSE tools can do.

The other thing that jumped out at me was...25mm thick material? Holy god dude! I thought filing 3mm stuff was hard :D

Glad to see you are still at it. Stay healthy!

Cheapskate likes this.
  9. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Very well put. :thumb:

Attila, get better soon and keep feeding us insanity like this.

10. Nitrixflare

Nitrixflare Building and engineering enthusiast

Get well soon Attila!

11. Attila

Thanks a lot for the kind words everyone, It's very much appreciated. :) I have had various tubes and cameras shoved down my throat, CT scans, MRI scans, Ultrasounds and I'm going for more tests on Friday. I've been given some drugs and these have helped me to feel much better. I hope to get back into making stuff soon, but right now all I want to do is sleep.:rolleyes:

12. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Been there, done that, stopped eating for 2 weeks.
    It does get better eventually though.
    You take care of yourself, we'll be here when you come back, promise! :thumb:

13. Shael

Shael What's a Dremel?

I hope you get better soon Attila. those kind of health issues are never good for your physical or mental health either.

Focus on getting better we can wait for updates as your logs are always worth the wait:hehe:

By the way were did you get your alu from trying to source some in perth and not having much luck:duh:

14. adoilee

adoilee What's a Dremel?

Man, this is killin' me!
    You sir, must get well!

15. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:( Man we all hope it's nothing too bad & whatever it is gets caught early enough to treat & you get better ASAP, it's weird I react to other peoples news worse than my own, I tend to just accept the bad & get on with it but when it's others I find it so crap. Can imagine many don't know what to say to this & to be honest neither do I but I'm sure anyone who caught this is thinking of you Attila.

Always loved your screw the DIY limits way of modding :D, well there isn't really limits as you've demonstrated, it's just that you seen beyond the usual ones when many didn't & shown some of the stuff that can be done with some tools & serious elbow grease :D, think it inspires everyone, it really does me :) get well soon mate.

16. Attila

Thanks for the kind words guys. :) I'm feeling a lot better now and have started to work on this project again.

Really couldn't make headway on the side panels until the rear cover was made so lets get to it.

This is similar to the front in that it is removable (fixed from the inside). This will have a hinged door to gain access to the i/o, and when closed will completely cover the rear for a clean, streamlined look.

The two main cross members were shaped together for accuracy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And fitted to a mounting plate made from 4mm sheet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh, I put together some of the parts that CPC sent me for the readers drive article and made a nice four core PC. Thanks to Custom PC, Fractal, Corsair and asrock.

[​IMG]

Anyway back to the build. A pair of side pieces were made from 8mm stock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a frame is slowly built up.

[​IMG]

Side pieces shaped to match the cross members.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This pic gives you an idea of how it's held together.

[​IMG]

And it's a very strong and rigid part. A door (s) and some hinges need to be made for this next.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back soon. :)

Waynio likes this.
  17. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

Where's the popcorn when you need it to watch the show? Looking interesting as ever.

Glad you're feeling better.

18. Gentleman_Dingo

Gentleman_Dingo What's a Dremel?

I got yer popcorn right here:

[​IMG]

Attila, glad to see you're getting better! It would be a plainer, more boring place without your mods. You give me hope that I can mod without a mill!

19. Korvus

Korvus May contain traces of sanity.

Hurray :D More shiny alu work to drool over :D

Good work as always!

20. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

^MJ's chowing down on delicious aluminum shavings.:D
    Good to see you back so soon! A back cover means there will be 360 degrees of awesome.