1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News BT under pressure to block Newzbin

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 28 Jun 2011.

1. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

It sets a precedent.

If the MPA wins this case they could argue that BT and every other ISP has to block ALL usenet indexing sites. Furthermore, it begins to move the responsibility for piracy from the individual to the corporate.

Who would you rather sue for loss of earnings John Smith Anonymous or BT?

2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

You're all a bit late I'm afraid. Legislation has been passed through government for the suits to control the internet. If you'd all written to your MPs and got them to sign against the legislation, perhaps the amount of NO votes would have made a difference. You can still write and complain but whether it'll make any difference anymore is debatable.

The last thing I heard was a LibDem was causing a little uprising against the bill: http://www.libdemvoice.org/julian-huppert-mp-calls-for-digital-economy-act-rethink-24471.html

Whether enough signatures will be gathered from important enough people to garner a review of the act is anyone's guess. I'd suggest everyone writing to their local MP and get them to see your lines of reasoning about why it's important that the act should be reviewed and/or scrapped. http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/broadband/368104/mps-call-for-digital-economy-act-debate

Don't just sit on your hands on this one people.

3. Bozwell

Bozwell What's a Dremel?

It is about time the MPA stopped trying to force people into doing things the old way and modernised their distribution models to deliver their products in a way that people want them.
    the music industry is just beginning to see the value of selling their wares online at a lesser cost and the film companies need to do the same. If they didn't keep forcing physical media on us at ever increasing prices there would be less urge to pirate them.

Of course there will always be some people out there that want everything for free, but then there are many many more out there currently downloading illegally because products don't come the the form they want them, or are simply too expensive.

4. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 28 Jun 2011
  5. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Next step - block google.

And if this gets pushed through, then BT might well remove the filter they have altogether, the filter designed to stop child abuse.

6. remixme

remixme Own a Dremel, but not used it yet!

lol, a legal right in the strictest sense of the term perhaps not...
    but Odini was still born with free will and has as much choice in breaking the law as choosing a favoured toast topping in the morning.

If MPA succeed we are one further step along the road to the thought police.

7. Venares

Venares What's a Dremel?

What this man said :clap:

8. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Anyone else noticed how some direct download file hosting sites are already being indirectly blocked by ISP's via the IWF filter proxies?...

Its become very difficult to download from such sites as Fileserve,Filesonic....and many others.

9. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

Yep, it's the way the MPA has been at war with technology rather than embracing it. Basically if there were movie version of Steam, there wouldn't be an issue.

10. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Mary Whitehouse lives on. A rolling stone gathers moss, I saw it on Mythbusters or something similar.

11. Odini

Odini What's a Dremel?

I would argue that you do. It is not so much that you can break the law legally, more that you have the right of choice. I am not forced to comply, it is my choice to.

If I make the 'wrong' choice, then I can expect to be punished, however I still have that right.

12. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

Once the new national filter is in place, it's difficult to believe it won't be used to block file sharing sites,even if that isn't the stated intention for setting it up in the first place.

Personally, I think the ISPs should call his bluff and refuse to cooperate. I read somewhere, only around 10% of households in the UK have someone under 18 living there anyway, so it's really aimed at adults, whatever they say to the contrary.

Bringing in a system of mass censorship may contravene european law too. And as to his threat to legislate, Tories may find their poll ratings plummeting, if they wielded the legislative axe to bring in such a draconian step . Having to ring your ISP to ask for permission to be 'allowed' access to what is accessible now seems ridiculous.

13. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

V for vendetta anyone? lol. Internet laws have modern court system just going "yes well but um and umm well." Rather than battles in court maybe they should take the battles on-line and just try and catch-up

14. Bazz

Bazz Multimodder

Needed a laugh today, and got what I wanted.......

Block access to an indexing site if you like, there are more then enough to replace as it stands, not to mention you don't need indexing sites lol

Not mention proxies etc.

It would seem their lawyers have no idea what they are doing.

Plus BT would more than likely (and hopefully) tell them where to go!

15. technogiant

technogiant What's a Dremel?

Instead of all this talk of prohibiting this and prosecuting people for that why don't the media industry turn this huge demand into a paying business.

Why on earth don't they just cut a deal with the ISP's to enable people free access to their material, be it music, movies or games.

How many people would gladly pay an excess on their broadband to be able to download LEGALLY rather than paying for third party VPN's or Cyberlockers to cover their illegal tracks.

The media industry need to stop whining and threatening everyone's freedom and develop a business model to profit from this demand.

16. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Ah, that'd be nice.
    Great. You have to call up and effectively say 'I wanna see nekkid boobies plz', thereby submitting yourself to the judgement of the person helping you.

Think I'm going to stock up on 'educational' material before this happens!

17. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

Love film has a brilliant digital distribution system, depending on what plan you're on you can stream between 100 (I think) or unlimited movies a month from their website (also in HD) prices are pretty good to, However what it sadly lacks is enough choice, if it's entire catalogue was available in that manor, I would definitely subscribe.
    It's also easier than downloading stuff as you just click and watch, don't have to wait for it to download (at worse maybe a bit of buffering for some HD films)

18. Ross1

Ross1 What's a Dremel?

There are those of us on virgin who would say downloading in many times better than streaming. You can download what you want during the night, then watch it whenever. With streaming, if you do it during peak time, you can quickly get limited and then be unable to watch it for 5 hours.

19. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

If they win and all indexing and torrent sites are blocked (which is what will happen) then someone should petition to have google blocked. They link/host/index LOADS of infringing material. This would be the only way to force a rethink of the current systems.

Anyway if the sites are blocked I'll just run my own indexing server...........

20. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

Hehe, "can you please speak up sir, you say you want to see what?"

It'll probably be error prone as well and not return harmless requests, and going by similar schemes on public computers it'll make all connections slower. If they're gonna insist on a filter it should be an opt in filter imo, you ring up and it's applied, not on by default, as they plan.

With all the hacking recently of accounts and then the publishing of those names and addresses, who'd want their employer finding their name on a list that asked for restrictions to be lifted, or a gf? Yet who wants a net nanny watching over their browsing , it's gonna cause trouble is my guess, if it's as clumsily implemented as it looks likely to be .

Tags: Add Tags