1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 How can i connect to Xbox live when my computer and xbox are in different rooms?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Hodgeman, 28 Jun 2011.

1. Hodgeman

Hodgeman What's a Dremel?

Okay, in short my xbox is in one place but my computer and modem are in the other. I need to connect to Xbox live. I have and adapter but its not strong enough to reach the signal from my wireless router. I cant move my xbox to my computer room but I do have a laptop that gets the signal fine that i can have in my room. How can i make Xbox live happen?

2. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

3. Sagman76

Sagman76 What's a Dremel?

Are you on wireless g if not maybe upgrade to a 300mps n class

4. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

do you have 2 lan ports on your computer?

I connect my comp to the net and my xbox to the comp and simply bridge the connection - works great.

5. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

Powerline adaptors, running an ethernet cable or getting a better router.

6. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

Are the rooms far apart? If there were close id just get a long ethernet cable

7. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Wireless has enough problems with gaming under ideal conditions but to do it over long distances where you already know you have signal issues is a very bad idea as the data transfer rate drops over distance and powerline is as good as LAN now.

If you have the DIY skills go LAN cable, otherwise get Powerline adaptors.
    Delovo have the best reviews and TP-Link are the "King of the cheap" or Value bin.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/devolo-dLAN...GNMS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309472254&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-...1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1309472282&sr=1-1

8. heh-

heh- curses.

I had similar issues with my xbox and cables weren't really an option for me in an apartment with concrete walls and solid floors.

I tried the powerline approach first only to find that the circuit in the room that the xbox is in is different to the one that the router is in so it couldn't communicate. That may be just the funny electrics here, but something to check before you splash the cash.

I ended buying a wireless-n extender and putting as close to the router as possible then running a cable to that from my xbox. No problems for gaming at all, I stream hd movies across it with no problems either.