1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News World of Warcraft goes free to Level 20

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 29 Jun 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Singularity

Singularity ******* Operator from Hell

I've never played WoW, but these restrictions seem waaaaaay too limiting to actually entice me to try the game...
    Seems like Blizzard is trying to jump on Valve's free2play tf2 bandwagon...

/goes back to his tf2

3. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

This is pretty similar in restrictions to the old trial bar the removal of the time limit. But to be honest, the most enjoyable parts for me about WoW were trading, questing in parties, and using the auction house. Removing those aspects just leaves a lonely grind and a terrible trial.

The throwing in of that expansion for free is nice, although as it was the one expansion I actually bought, worthless to me.

4. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I think those limits are quite sensible. You will be able to do all the low level game content for free which is plenty to give you a feel for the game and whether you would want to subscribe. The only problem I see is that they can't create groups so they will need to rely on a paid player to do some of the 5 man instances.

5. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

I may have read it wrong, but after you cap it to level 20 can you buy the game then carry on with the same character?

6. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Yes.

7. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

But it prevents botters ruining the low end economy of the game.

Imagine thousands of free account bots running around eating up all the mining and herbalist nodes to flood the auction house for cheap, for stolen account bots to buy then to sell on a higher mark up to then sell on the gold for money.

That is effectively what would happen if they lifted the limits.

8. nsymons

nsymons What's a Dremel?

+1

And the limits on chat channels are sensible too. I already report about half a dozen gold buying spammers a day in the trade channel.

This is about as good a free 2 play deal as you could have got without opening the game up to Chinese prison guard's scams.

9. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

not long now until the free2play part gets microransactions, $1 per level increase ect

10. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

No, just no...

Blizz sells mounts and pets as part of their micro transactions. They also sell account services.

However they have made it abundantly clear that they would not sell level increases or gear that gave an advantage over others.

All they have done here, is remove the time trial which used to be 10 days.
    So I don't see how any of this equates to free to play, is it some kind of flavour of the month to throw this phrase around?

11. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Seriously? $1 a level? You do know how ridiculous that sounds?

12. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Seems to me more like Blizzard and feeling the impact of the free2play MMOs (like Forsaken World) which were recently launched on Steam. FW is the *entire* game with no restrictions for free...microtransactions for are only for cosmetic improvements for the most part.

As a former WoW player (a couple of years ago) who has recently got back into MMOing (can you even say that?) I'm actually over the moon with FW which is WoW++ in reality, for nowt :)

13. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

basically the same as already existing trial accounts then...just without the time limit, still it's an interesting step

14. Odini

Odini What's a Dremel?

I think that lifting the party restriction would be the only difference I would make (except allowing higher levels) or perhaps make it so you can only create a party with other trial players. This would encourage groups of players starting out, e.g. my brother and I played WoW whilst I was unemployed and he was at college and we both started at roughly the same time. Would have been nice to create groups between us whilst seeing if we would enjoy the game long term.

15. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

I've never played WOW but this has enticed me to try which I WON'T as I am not paying a monthly subscription for ONE game.
    Will try Rune2 or whatever it is called for my first MMORPG experience when it is released.

16. freshsandwiches

freshsandwiches Can I do science to it?

Would have been nice if you could access the game with all the restrictions listed with a deactivated account and a lowbie character.

17. Taniniver

Taniniver Minimodder

@Denis_iii

Try Guild Wars (or maybe just wait for Guild Wars 2) if you are looking for a free-to-play online RPG

I spent 3600+ hours in game, pretty much quit now since I did everything. Not bad value for about £70-80 total (I bought the 3 games + EOTN expansion, i.e. all of it).

You know what this makes me think though? Drug dealers. First hit is free. Roll of World of Warcrack.

18. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

when will people learn that there are way better MMO that are already free to play then WoW ~_~

19. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

paying money per level is not an advantage over other players though. as long as they cant level higher than subscription based players.

$1 a level isnt stupid either, people pay $20 for a mount that does exactly the same thing as 50 others that they can get ingame very easily. and they pay $15 for a pet that does nothing other than make annoying sounds.

$1 a level from 20 to 85 is $65 dollars. how much does wotlk and cata cost together?

Also i dont mean you pay $1 and get a free level, i mean your level cap increases, you still have to do the work to get to that level, you it means you are not limited to 20 :p

20. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

You can't $ for levels unless you get rid of the subscription, or has the sub gone? I've not followed WoW since I went back for a bit at xmas :X

Tags: Add Tags