1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Looking for advice/help on building first custom PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Smellyhead, 29 Jun 2011.

1. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

Hello all,

I'm currently looking for advice and help on building my first custom PC, I have picked out most of the parts already with the help of my friends and the people I play online games with, although theres still a few bits I'm stuck with choosing.

Budget: £~800 inclduing OS.

Main uses of intended build: Gaming, web broswing, usual office use (i.e. word docs etc)

Parts required: All except CD drive

Previous build information (list details of parts):
    CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) 8750B Triple-Core Processor, MMX, 3DNow (3 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
    RAM: 2048MB RAM
    GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4650
    PSU: 500Watt
    Motherboard: Sapphire PURE Element PE-AM2RS740G2 (I think that's correct, I found the code in dxdiag and googled it)
    HDD: 300GB

Monitor resolution: My current monitor is 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (75Hz), though I intend to replace it, within 1-2 months after purchasing this PC.

Storage requirements: I'm not sure how much I will need for this, my current is 300GB which I haven't filled half of yet.

will you be overclocking: yes I'm purchasing a pre-overclocked bundle for this build since, I'm unsure of how to do it, and after reading the risks etc I worry I would fry something.

Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers): Crossfire and SLI incase I want to add another GPU in the future.

Extra information about desired system: I'm trying to put together a PC that wil be able to max settings everything quite easily.

Like I said above I've picked out most parts I think would be good already, so I have listed below what I have chosen with links to them.

The bundle I was looking at buying includes these parts;
    CPU: Intel i5 2500k overclocked to 4.6Ghz
    Motherboard: MSI P67A-GD53 (B3)
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4GB (2x2GB)
    CPU Cooler: Akasa Venom Ultra CPU cooler Pirce = £376.18 inc VAT.

- I know buying this pre-built and pre-overclocked costs more (~£36), but since I'm a build/overclocking virgin I thought it would be a good investment to guarantee me a good overclock.

The rest of the parts I have picked out are here;

PSU: 600W OCZ StealthXStream 2 £49.99
    HDD: 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 £39.30

The bundle + the above parts and Windows 7 totals up to £580.06.

I still need to select a GPU, I was looking at the ATI Radeon 5850, but aria.co.uk took it off today when they were selling it for £104, leaving only a more expensive version.
    If anyone could recommend a GPU whilst keeping around my budget (Maybe alittle over) I would be very greatful.

I also still need to find a case. I'm not too sure which cases are actually good for housing a gaming machine, I know it needs to be bigger to house the CPU cooler etc.

I've come here asking for your advice on this build, your opinions/help would be appreciated.
    My only worrys with what I have so far is compatability and everything fitting in the case since I want to get as many fans as possible in to keep it as cool as possible.

If you would recommend swapping any aparts please provide a link and your opinion as to why.

Thanks in advance for any replies and help.

Last edited: 30 Jun 2011
  2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

In my opinion buying a pre-overclocked bundle is a waste. You're not really buying expertise here, for the most part from what I've read the retailer slaps the components together and ships it out with little regard for vigorous testing. In some cases the settings have been dangerous and very close to frying the hardware anyway, so much for expertise!

Seriously though, an i5 2500k overclock is as easy as it comes!

Here's a run through of components...

CPU: Intel CPU Core i5 Unlocked 2500K - £161.94
    CPU COOLER: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Advanced - £40.78
    MOTHERBOARD: MSI P67A-GD53 (B3) - £104.00
    MEMORY: Corsair Memory Vengeance Jet Black LP 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz - £70.56
    PSU: Corsair AX750 - £128.10
    GPU: PNY GeForce GTX 570 1280MB - £227.48
    HDD: Samsung 1Tb Spinpoint F3 - £39.58
    CASE: Fractal Design Arc Midi Tower - £80

That would all hold together very well for the future. You could save money on memory by going to a 4GB kit, also scale back the GPU to a GTX 560 Ti and the PSU to a non-modular 650W. To be honest I believe buying slightly better components now will save you money in the future since you're considering either SLI or Crossfire the extra Watts will be a great investment. Also reviews of the Arc Midi Tower are very glowing and it is a case that can be decked out in fans!

3. crosshair

crosshair It's life Jim but not as we know it

4. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

Thank you for the replys.

Only reason I wanted to buy a pre-overclocked bundle was because I've never done it before, have no idea how to overclock or do the tests to make sure it's stable. The bundle was from Scan.co.uk and I thought they were a pretty trustworthy website to buy from, they say they do a 24hour test + others, but I guess I can't be sure and it could be like Blogins said.

Although the parts you've listed take me abit over my budget, if I was to go with no bundles, I'd have to swap some stuff out. Mostly the case, PSU and maybe the HDD since I doubt I'd ever fill a 1TB one.

I only use the PC to play MMORPG games and older FPS' so is that GPU needed aswell?

Case I think was about getting is HAF 912 Plus , I read good reviews about it so I presumme it is good, and is cheaper than alot of the others.

The GPU I was looking at too is MSI ATI Radeon HD 6870 Twin FrozR II OC, or is there something else better for around the same price.

If I can keep below my budget whilst getting everything I wanted from the bundle + extras it would be good.

Last edited: 3 Jul 2011
  5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

6. jhng

jhng What's a Dremel?

Don't go for the overclocked bundle. I toyed with idea because I wasn't very confident but am very pleased that I did it myself in the end. Overclocking the sandybridge CPUs is really very easy indeed and there are loads of good guides online. If you take the time you will end up with safer and more stable overclock and learn a lot along the way.

Also, for what you have in mind a 750 watt psu sounds like a lot. You might be able to save a lot by going for a good quality 500-600 watt one.

7. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

Maybe get something like this? [​IMG]

get 20 posts on here and you'll get free delivery with scan, with that, it means the build above would come to £797.13 :D unfortunately I couldn't squeeze in a SSD, but if you could stretch it I would thoroughly recommend it, but if you can't then don't worry, hope you like the build :)

8. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

Thank for that build thetrashcanman, I have decided I'll go without the bundle. Although I've made some changes to what you guys have said.

I put some parts together on scan.co.uk

[​IMG]

Totals at £582.51 before delivery.

Only thing I haven't decide on is a GPU, though I have been reading reviews etc. Since I only really play MMO's and the odd FPS. I may pick up BF3, so I'm not sure what GPU I should aim for.

I've picked out MSI ATI 6870 Twin FrozR so far. Though I've also been recommend to get the 560Ti.

Although I've found it to be cheaper for me to buy some parts from Aria.co.uk over Scan.co.uk - I think I save ~£10 when messing with the parts.

The parts from scan + the GPU I linked, came to £746, including delivery, though this meant buying only the CPU, Motherboard, PSU and HDD from scan.co.uk, and all from the Today Only deals.

What do you guys think of the build I linked, and what GPU would you recommend for it, around the same price as the 6870?

9. Bede

Bede Minimodder

You do not need to OC if you are only playing MMOs and old FPS games. Only overclock for gaming if you need to - not just as an every day thing. It eats more power and it creates more heat, and it will shorten the lifespan of your components.

Coolermaster 690 II Advanced is about £65 on Scan, and that has room for about a dozen fans in total. I have one and it is easy to build with, feels quality and looks pretty damn good. The only caveat I have is that the hole in the motherboard for the CPU cooler backplate is slightly misaligned - you might have difficulty doing up the bottom screws as they are partially covered by the mobo tray.

That leaves you with about £155 afaik - Radeon 6870 would fit in the budget and is apparently a fairly decent card.

10. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

I will be playing BF3 on this sytem when it comes out aswell, that's why I wanted the overclocking, I'd be picking up SWTOR too which looks more graphically demanding than most MMO's out, my current PC can only managed Rift on medium so I want to be able to max atleast SWTOR constantly.

I'm not 100% sure on what GPU and case would give me most bang for buck preformance though. I've been reading reviews etc on the sites. That's why I picked the HAF 912 Plus case.

Last edited: 5 Jul 2011
  11. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

So I just need help picking a GPU now I think, with your suggestions and others I've been given.

I've had to drop my budget to £750 though. So should I keep the parts I have for this price range do you think?

If I go with the parts I picked out, I can aford ~£150 for a GPU. I check Scan, OCuk and Aria for prices on GPU's. I thought the best I could get for it would be a ATI 6870 or a GTX 560?

The 560 section here
    https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...BlclBhZ2U9Jg==

lists some that are just 560, some as "OC", some as "superclocked" and then the Ti ones.

Is there much preformance difference in those ones?

How would they compare to the 6870s that aria has? since they are cheapest for them too.

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...+6800+Series+/

On the 6870s the only thing I notice is the MSI card has 20mhz on the core than the XFX card, but is £20 more. would i even notice that? though I've heard those MSI cards have the best cooling and come with MSI burner?

Although today I noticed in Scan's today only deals, there was these parts;

For £374.39 - Should I consider looking for these deals and expanding on them now I've dropped my budget?

Or should I select other parts entirely? Since I only need my PC to be able to max settings the upcoming MMO's like SWTOR and GW2. Though I'll probably pick up BF3 aswell but I don't expect to max it ofcourse. My current computer maxs the FPS's I play so I don't need to worry about them for a new PC.

12. russ555

russ555 What's a Dremel?

Are modular PSU's the ones were you can remove the cables you don't need? If so they are awesome :)

About the GPU, I got a gigabyte oc'ed 560 ti after it was recommended on this forum and so far it's great, after reading some stuff lately though I would suggest the MSI twin frozr version instead.

although these may be out of your budget now I would try and make room for one as it should last you years.

13. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

Right, ok guys I need a little bit more help.

I've pretty much, done a complete over haul on the rig to try save money, to get best GPU I can.

It now looks like this;

CPU: i5 2500k retail £163.40
    Mobo + CPU cooler: MSI P67A-GD65 + Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus £123.20
    RAM: 8GB Mushkin Radioactive 1600Mhz 1.5v £55.16
    PSU: 500Watt OCZ ModXStream Modular PSU £47.99
    HDD: 500GB Seagate Barracude 7200RPM
    Case: HAF 912 £56.38

Which totals to £542.08

Should I pick up a GTX 560 ti or a ATI 6950?
    Note I don't want to go above £750. Bonus points if delivery doesn't knock me over £750 aswell . :)

Last edited: 10 Jul 2011