1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice £800 film editing pc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Birdy, 10 Apr 2011.

1. Birdy

Birdy What's a Dremel?

Hyperthetically, if I were to build one, what are the chances that something would go wrong?

2. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

lol

er depends what type of person you are and how confident you feel. If you are impatient and just slap it althogether you may find as a novice you have forgot things whih result in usually re-building time more than anything.

If your not confident about building look up build guides on here and the webs and take out scan insurance so if you fluff a component they will accept it back no questions

3. slaw

slaw At Argos buying "gold"

no more than buying one as they use the same parts. also, if you go for decent parts and especially a psu (which some companys skimp on it should be less likely to go wrong. if it does go wrong, you will have and idea of how to fix it. finally, most parts have more than 1 years warranty as oposed to the standard prebuilt warranty of 1 year.

so all in all, build it! and do check out a z68 mb

4. Birdy

Birdy What's a Dremel?

I'm pretty confident I won't break anything; really I was thinking along the lines of components not wanting to talk or not working as well as you think they would. And how long would it take to build. A morning?

Z68 looks expensive, and as I can't see myself over clocking it (any time soon at least) I can't really see the point.

Finally, With the retail box versions of blu-ray drives, do you need to buy the playback software separately or is it included.

5. slaw

slaw At Argos buying "gold"

Hey

Z68 lets you use the gpu in the processor to help with rendering video and it really makes a huge difference. Its worth checking if it will work with your video apps. Also, if your not playing games, you won't have to buy a separate. GPU.

So why nit overclock? Its free preformance upgrade.

6. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

Most of the time, if the program does support hardware acceleration, the rendering can only be done by CUDA cores, so I don't think it will make a difference either way. Getting an actual graphics card is still the way to go, providing the program supports hardware acceleration.

7. Birdy

Birdy What's a Dremel?

My dad is the type of person not to buy new things unless absolutely necessary and expects whatever he buys to last. His current pc is an early pentuim 4 with windows 2000. Hence no overclocking.

I thought that h67 also allowed you to use Quicksync.

8. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

H67 = no overclocking + IGPU

P67 = overclocking Cheesecake

Z68 = overclocking Cheesecake + IGPU

9. Birdy

Birdy What's a Dremel?

Sorry for nothing happening recently.
    But I have been given a new budget: £500

I thought:

4gb Corsair XMS3 - £28
    W7 oem -£67 (dad doesn't want to buy the student one - don't know why)
    1 tb hitachi desk star - £37
    430w corsair psu - £36
    intel i5 2500k - £164
    MSI H67MA-E45 (B3) - £78
    HP bd240i 8x Blu-Ray Rom - £43
    Antec 100 - £41

Any thoughts?

10. donok

donok Every Little Helps .....

I would do a intel e6600/q6600 with 8gb ram
    Nvidia gpu - gt 210 etc
    64gb SSd and storage drives

I think the balance of hardware here would be a better performer.

11. donok

Also get the lot from scan. After 20 posts on thus forum you get free delivery and also can get scansure which is great if you break anything.

12. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

That's absolutely fine.

13. Birdy

Birdy What's a Dremel?

Turns out that ideally the Mobo would have a pci slot, which the mentioned msi one doesn't. Can anyone reccomend one?
    I saw this which fitted the bill, but it is H61. Are there any consequences to that?

The MB should be socket 1155, have usb 3.0 and firewire and d-sub/ dvi/ hdmi and ideally not expensive.

Last edited: 3 Jul 2011
  14. padrejones2001

If you can, get at least two hard drives or you'll end up with a huge bottleneck.

15. Birdy

Birdy What's a Dremel?

Problem is that brings me over budget. Do you mean two hdds in raid or as separate volumes?
    Is it possible to add a HDD into a raid 1 array at a later date?

16. padrejones2001

Separate volumes. You can't read and write to a hard drive at the same time, so if, say, you have to access your page file and you also want to continue editing, you'll be waiting around an awful lot for your hard drives to catch up.

17. donok

still think your paps would enjoy the speed of an ssd, the quad core is plenty of cpu power do all he'll want it for. then you can even get a discret gpu.

18. donok

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300
    Gigabyte GA-EG41MFT-US2H
    500W Silverstone ST50F-P, Strider Silent
    Antec 100 One Hundred, Black Midi Tower Gaming Case w/o PSU

1GB EVGA G 210
    120GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD

Total £476.56

More sense than money

19. Birdy

Birdy What's a Dremel?

That (unfortunately) doesn't include the cost of the os, and then you still need to get a blu-ray rom, ram and a proper sized hdd, which adds up to around £646.

Thanks everyone for the help (even though I seem to have ignored half of it...). I will probably be ordering tonight of tomorrow night. :)

Birdy

20. Bede

Bede Minimodder

I just built my first system and there is one very important thing to point out. Nothing I did was seriously wrong, but it turns out that one of the parts (probably the mobo) is broken and needs replacing. So this means sending it back to Scan (their tech support guy recommended I send the CPU and RAM as well so they could check) and waiting a couple of weeks at least to get it back. If you buy a pre-built you can pretty much guarantee that nothing will arrive broken! You do pay quite a high premium for this though.