1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU PSU replacement – Good Choice?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shisnu, 2 Jul 2011.

1. Shisnu

Shisnu What's a Dremel?

Hi everyone,

Recently my 4 year old computer conked out, and I’ve confirmed that the cause is PSU failure through the use of a friends’ computer. I need a replacement and am not concerned about including the potential for future upgrading. The computer was originally a MESH package deal but is now out of warranty (which considering the current state of MESH seems good timing).

My current build is shown below:

Case – Aluminium ATX Midi Tower
    Motherboard – ASUS P5NE-SLI
    Power Supply (BROKEN) – HEC-550TD-PTE
    Total Power 550W, +5V & +3.3V Combined 185W
    +3.3V – 30A
    +5V – 38A
    +12V1 – 18A
    +12V2 – 17A
    -12V – 0.3A
    +5Vsb – 2A
    Processor – Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (B3) Processor @2.4 GHz, 8 MB Cache, 1066 MHz with Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 CPU Cooler
    RAM – 4GB (2x2GB) OCZ PC2-6400 Dual Channel DDR2
    Graphics – ATi Radeon HD 4850 512 MB
    Hard Drives – (1 x 500 GB & 1 x 250 GB) SATA with 16 MB Buffer
    DVD Drive – LightScribe Super Format 18x Dual Layer DVD (Re)Writer
    Sound Card – Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Sound Card
    Other PCI Cards – Digital & Analogue TV Tuner PCI Card
    Ports – 6xUSB 2.0, 2xFirewire

From looking at the (very helpful) forums here and checking some prices, I think my best bet would be to buy the Seasonic S12II-520 520W ATX12V Standard Power Supply Unit – Bronze (amazon link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seasonic-S1...-Supply/dp/tech-data/B00390P1NO/ref=de_a_smtd) for £68.08.

I think my total draw is around 380W and from an online PSU calculator it recommends at least a 430W PSU.

My question to the forums is: Is this a good choice for a replacement PSU? I welcome any comments and/or other recommendations, but I don’t really want to spend more than about £80 on this. Let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks in advance,

Shisnu.

2. f300

f300 What's a Dremel?

3. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

+1 on a 500W PSU for your system, however that Corsair seems to be out of stock. There's a Silverstone Strider 500W for £39, and the PSU which I recommend (having used it several times) is the Silver Power 500W, a little more expensive but much higher quality @ £49. :thumb:

Last edited: 4 Jul 2011
  4. jeff1155

jeff1155 What's a Dremel?

The Coolermaster SilentPro series are modular and have a 5 year warranty - at least if it does go pop again you'll have warranty cover and won't have to tear you build to pieces replacing captive cables! My PSU also seems to have failed, and being able to just swap it out and connect the (captive) ATX 24pin and PSU fan speed cable was a major bonus!

5. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

BeQuiet L7 530w - £42 on overclockers and will power that machine without a problem.

I am running one now in my main PC (see sig) and I can't fault it. About the only thing that could be improved is the inclusion of braided cables but at this price point I am not that bothered.

6. Shisnu

Shisnu What's a Dremel?

Thanks to all for your prompt comments and suggestions; I ended up going with the Corsair 500W as suggested by f300, which was over £20 cheaper than my original idea, so thank you very much!

I'll probably post again to tell the outcome when it arrives :)

7. rular

rular What's a Dremel?

I would go for a corsair AX650. worth every penny.

8. Lord Xeb

Lord Xeb Derka Derpa Derka Derp

The PSU you are looking at is one of the best PSUs out there for that wattage. Go for it. Though if you can spare a little more cash, you can get a Corsair TX650 V2 for about 100 USD

9. Shisnu

Shisnu What's a Dremel?

Me again, just got my new Corsair CX500 PSU in the post today :)

'Twas fairly easy to swap them over, had to take out the CPU cooler, but I managed to use a cable tie on the bundle of cables to make it look neat and professional :D

Anyway, new PSU runs smoothly and quieter than the last. I swear it's cooler, too. Stupid old Q6600 processor has always had a problem with heating.

Thanks a bunch for all your comments - I might be making a new gaming rig in the near future so I may need your help again soon :p