1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Any Alfa owners here?

Discussion in 'General' started by MiNiMaL_FuSS, 5 Jul 2011.

1. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Fallen in love with a ALFA ROMEO 147, and knowing Alpha's reputation for reliability (even though the 147 is thought to be their most reliable model), I thought I'd get some opinions from real Alpha owners and not just the typical sterotypes that tend to dog any given make of car.

Thoughts?

2. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

I want one rather badly.. I just can't insure them :(

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Have a look at the owner's club buyer's guide. Honest John also does a good breakdown of a car's foibles.

Truth is that you've got to buy carefully whatever you buy, check everything works before you buy and you should be fine.

4. MiNiMaL_FuSS

Honest John's site is fantastic, thanks for that.

I think I might be going with a good deal on a rather more practical 2006 Ford Focus Zetec, very good cars if a little boring.

5. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Really can't recommend enough that you get a test drive first.

Look here too, for some things to be aware of.

I like the comment:

6. bestseany

bestseany What's a Dremel?

I've wondered how reliable they are too nowadays. I've fallen in love with the Alfa 159 Ti.

Are you looking at diesel or petrol? I know the Alfa diesels suffer a fair few problems, as it's the same engine in the Fiats and Vauxhalls.

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The 159 should be decent - they ploughed masses of money into the development to make sure it would be as reliable as possible for years.

8. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Well, the newer models (MiTo especially) is built on a tried and tested Fiat platform that's rather reliable.
    Mate of mine worked at the Fiat/Alfa dealership here, and he mentioned that the 147's suvver from synchro mesh issues after 40000km.
    Might be the local ones only, though.
    In general, they ahve niggles, but whenever you drive them, all is forgiven. It's the Italian way. ;)

9. MiNiMaL_FuSS

I found a brilliant alfa in lovely coniditon for a very good price - sadly the added insurance coupled with the running costs and mainteance costs just put it outside my comfort zone for now, maybe next year.

I've bought a few used cars before both private and dealer (I tend to never have a car more than 10months), always done quite well with checking them out, neither of my last 2 cars (admittedly only clio's) ever needed repairs.

Fancy something that's a step up form the clio but only in a 2-3k price range, the focus appears head and shoulders above the competition in a practical sense....the alfa is just so pretty though!

I've looking at the following later today:
    http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-...-edge-titanium-18tdci-81k-immaculate/83447230

Which is good, but right at the top of the price bracket it's worth, ideally I'd be looking at closer to 2,300 for that car given the mileage (which aint bad really as its a disel, but will effect my resale value as I do 20k a year).

10. MiNiMaL_FuSS

11. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

12. MiNiMaL_FuSS

wow more than me, that's rare.

It would be 1,300 for me to insure where as the 1.8 phocus would be around 800, and my current Clio is around £500.

I'm 24, 1years no claims, 1year license holder, no penalties.

13. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

20, no NCB and haven't driven since I past my test last Sept... 1.8 Mondeo Zetec is £1100... I'd rather have the Alfa tbh...

14. MiNiMaL_FuSS

that's good price given your age/experience - who's that with?

If it was just the insurance I'd consider the Alfa, but it's the likely additional costs - parts and repairs are high cost, even servicing tends to cost more, and most garages see and alfa coming and will try every trick in the book sadly.

15. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

wow, very nice Alfa 147. i would love to buy one of those car, fallen in love with a Giulietta when i drove it as hired car.

re-do your insurance for the Clio, pretty sure you won't be able to get it for 500 this year, since insurance prices are going up.

16. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Yeah, that's another thing, at least with Mondeo/Focus' there's millions of them, parts won't be expensive.

And it was with ServiceXK, haven't a clue who they are, but if they're cheap, works for me.

17. MiNiMaL_FuSS

It was done in April mate :) - Admiral.

TESCO qutoed me over £1,000 for an example of the difference.

I havn't foudn a garge I trust here, been trying new ones out. Last place I serviced my clio only cost £80....until I check at home and relised they hadn't serviced it at all, cheeky gits. Did it myself and at least I had the stamp in the log book.

18. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Take it to an official dealer?

I keep finding better cars the less than an Alfa.. Damn!

19. MiNiMaL_FuSS

I may do next time, he's good for a year now.

I dont know, the Alfa may not score brilliantly in official reviews, but owners reviews are always very very good due to the sheer drivability.

Stop it, you're making me want ti again!

20. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

I'm making myself want one!