1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Car insurance...

Discussion in 'General' started by Boscoe, 10 Jul 2011.

1. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

Just wondered if some people could probably help...

I'm pissed off with ****ing car insurance.

So I'm just learning to drive now and getting some car insurance quotes in prep for about 2 months time of hopefully passing. I have spoken to a lot of people my age all paying about £1500 for a years insurance on things like 1.4l corsas and such but the best I get is £4500! So I talk to them and they say to use admiral multicar so I do and still get £4000, so I speak to them on what they put in as in additional drivers. So I put in my dad mum and sister as they did then get £3500. I think it's prob because of where I live so I ask them what their address is and test it and still get £3500. There's no difference in where they are parked or anything like that or annual mileage. All with their first year and no other experience.

What am I doing wrong I don't get it. I don't want to go and spend this amount of money to find out I've just done something stupid and that's why I'm getting such expensive quotes.

If someone could help me out with some pointers with what I should be doing that would be great. I have already used gocompare and confused.com aswell and directline and everything I just can't seem to get anywhere with this.

2. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

spend the money on a proper bike and wait with a car until you get older and therefore get a lower insurance quote?

3. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Are you putting full license or provisional?

Also try a quote for a1.4 seat ibiza w reg to 02. Great car cheap to buy, only group 3 insurance on the entry spec model and you get vw build quality

4. Boscoe

Seat Ibiza 1.4l .cool, £5600! Thanks for the advice tho!!!

5. Boscoe

I need a car for work, otherwise I probably would.

6. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Where you getting quotes from. I passed at 22 and got an ibiza price 400. Try direct line maybe? You are saying full license though?

7. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

I passed when I was 17 and got my own policy when I was 18 and it was less than £2000 on a 1.4 Mk. 4 Golf.

The hell are you putting in to get those crazy prices?

Main thing I did to bring mine down was to put my parents as named drivers on my policy, it knocked about £1500 off.

How much mileage are putting in?

8. Boscoe

I'm using admiral and confused.com, annual mileage 3000miles. Full license, directline is more expensive.

I have got my Dad Mum and sister on it all of which bring the price down.

9. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

The 3000 miles might be catching you out. Put something more realistic, like 10 or 12k.

10. Wozzname

Wozzname Some random guy

Admiral/Elephant are usually the better ones (for me anyway) for low insurance quotes.

Is there anyone you're adding as named drivers with any claims/driving penalties? If there are, try taking those people off the quote.

Also, check that you have specified what security features the car does have - if you've said none, I'm guessing that will have probably rocketed the insurance up.

11. sWW

sWW Minimodder

what excess have you been putting in? that has the biggest effect I noticed out of everything.

12. Boscoe

None of the drivers have any penalties or claims. I have said manufacturer fitted.

Third party has always been cheapest whatever the excess is on comprehensive so I've been using that.

13. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Ugh.

Ignore me, reading failure.

14. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Have a look at 'newer' cars, as in under 7 years old, I can now get a 2.0T Passat for around £1200.

Also, don't say your cars in a garage, apparently garage crime is quite high and people make quite a few claims from things falling on their cars in them.

15. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

How long ago did you pass your test? - I found that insurance was ridiculous until about 6 months after I'd passed and after that went below £2000.

Also look into diesel cars - I found them much cheaper to insure than petrols. I've got a 1.9l Turbo Diesel Peugeot 306, am 20 and passed my test less than a year ago and am paying £1500 insurance on it with elephant. If I'd got a petrol car it would have had to be <1.2l for insurance to be below £2k (and a 1.9 diesel is more fun than a 1.2 petrol)

Also, by third party, do you meant third party F+T? I fount F+T the cheapest, with fully comp a couple of hundred quid more and then plain third party about a thousand quid more in general...

I don't imagine your location has too much to do with the cost - I live in wales, but had to insure the car in southampton (uni), and the difference was just under £100. peterborough will be a bit more pricey than soton, but not by that much.

The other general advice is to add as many females as named drivers as possible, but it sounds like you've done that.

gl

Edits:
    > I know it's a drop in the ocean, but if you go through quidco comparison you get around £20 cashback (they also gave me the cheapest quote from elephant)
    >A 'private driveway' is the cheapest place to park your car iirc

Last edited: 10 Jul 2011
  16. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

You could try A-plan, went through them for my bora V5 a couple of years ago and it was £550 with 0 NCB iirc. i also got a quote on a MK1 supercharged MR2 and it was £138 fully comp recently, i am now 27 with 3 years NCB though but still, i was shocked at the price. Damn car had sold by the time they rang me though!

I use them by default now due to crazy prices ive been quoted from comparison sites tbh.

17. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

There was something somewhere on the internet that showed you what risk area your postcode was. Not sure if its still about, you might be able to find something.

From what I've heard of young/just passed insurance, I think its either pot-luck, or people are lying.
    There's people on another forum I'm on, who have just passed, and are getting insurance quotes of £500 - £700 apparently. Which frankly I don't believe is possible.

I think one of the best things you could do, is phone up some insurers, the comparison sites will usually always be more expensive.
    And possibly try some insurers who say they specilalise in young drivers, Adrian Flux might be one to try.

Or, if your really stuck, get a classic mini, should be pretty cheap to insure. But might end up costing lots on parts as you inevitable start replacing bits, :D

18. Loz

Loz Blah Blah

I don't think you're doing anything wrong. Prices seem to have rocketed in the last year or two and young new drivers are getting royally screwed.

I passed my test last November and got insurance in March: £1350 for a 1.2l Skoda Fabia with Admiral (24 year old professional and a big excess). A colleague the same age as me passed a year earlier and only paid ~£800 for a fairly similar car. If I wanted insurance right after passing it would have been £1600-1700 so if you can wait even a few months you might save significantly.

19. Boscoe

I wanted a mini to begin with but their are too small and old for what I do for work! I need it to start every single time and not have to repair it and be big enough to carry the odd bit of PA kit in it.

20. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Power armor?