1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Japan finds huge rare earth mineral deposits

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 4 Jul 2011.

1. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I'm hoping for an underwater 'space race'. More money and technology is invested in deep water oil extraction than going to space so it will be really interesting to see where this leads us.

2. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

The worry is not so much China running out as stopping exports - they have a stated position that they want to be producers of products not exporters of raw materials, so may very well just prohibit export of rare earth metals or slap a massive export tax on them. In either case, alternatives in the continental US or in deep sea or elsewhere may become economically viable. For now, so long as there is a sufficient cheap supply from China, the economics don't seem to stack up. For this reason, it's good that Japan and others are researching possible alternative sources now.

3. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Mass Effect 2 - you get to mine planets for rare resources and get upgrades. Stroke of genius McLean ;)

4. b5k

b5k What's a Dremel?

There isn't a problem in supply of the materials we need now, which means the value of the minerals is low. Perfect example is Thorium. We have loads of it, we've never had much use for it and that makes it cheap. If Liquid Flourine Thorium reactors take off, you can bet the price of Thorium will rise. Same goes for these minerals, they're not in demand enough right now to warrant pulling them up off the seabed.

Besides, i believe someone did a cost/benefit evaluation and found that all the minerals you take out would be worth less than the cost of the acid needed to remove them.

5. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

they will declare war on Japan and The USA for taking their business? lol j/k

6. benji2412

benji2412 <insert message here>

Please tell me they found indium and lithium. Please.

7. benji2412

benji2412 <insert message here>

Also I work in research in TCOs, Antony can you PM me the article citation please? I've been at a conference and haven't heard about this yet!!

Last edited: 6 Jul 2011
  8. uz1_l0v3r

uz1_l0v3r What's a Dremel?

Thermonuclear war is inevitable.

9. knutjb

knutjb What's a Dremel?

It may very well provide a tasty economic treat for the US, but lets face it, huge costing (which will be passed to consumers) will be involved if the US gets it's horrible mitts on it.

TSB[/QUOTE]

The US getting its horrible mitts on it and China is... for monopolizing the market then slamming the door ala OPEC. Your ethics sound questionable or at least confused.

10. jhng

jhng What's a Dremel?

deleted (quoted the wrong message, doh)

11. jhng

jhng What's a Dremel?

"game / cult movie geek" -- I guess that's a compliment of sorts...

12. CsCocoa

CsCocoa What's a Dremel?

sadface.. world war 3 was inevitable..

but perhaps the us is soo stretched it will just fold. and the Chinese can take over america.
    make use of all the space..

and we will have our pretty super cities and stuff.

Sadly however im in the uk. and therefore ill be drafted into fight AGAINST the inevitable fail.
    ... sigh.

still if its worked out peacefully,
    in 50'years.
    isn't technology gonn'a be soo pretty.

epic spread of technological resources.

What a lovely age to be born into.

i do hope they make medical advancements before we all die from radiation poisoning.

13. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

This is quite a nice find for them :)

14. StevenC19771

StevenC19771 What's a Dremel?

Just curious being a fan of Sea Quest back in the day. Is there any chance of a US/Japan combining to form undersea colony to mine the minerals in the future? What kind of jobs would that create? Im a CIS programming student just wondering if it could mean a job for people in the future?

Tags: Add Tags