1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Kogan offers HDTV buyers free HDMI cables

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 5 Jul 2011.

1. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I like the "Customers viewed this item also viewed" section. Three wolf T-shirt, classy! :thumb:

2. naylormat

naylormat What's a Dremel?

ha ha.

Used to work at curry's, before i got moved off sales for not wanting to rip people off we where always pushed to sell every TV with an highly expensive cable.

Cables had bigger profit margins than the tv's - simple. The more people you convinced of the better quality they would get from handing out £40 + per cable the better your sales figures where.

3. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

How much was it? :naughty:

CrazyJoe likes this.
  4. Aragon Speed

Aragon Speed Busily modding X3: Terran Conflict

Customer reviews are funny though. :D

5. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

So what exactly is the profit margin on these cables? Because for that price I reckon you could get a goldsmith to make an hdmi cable out of solid gold.

6. Xir

Xir Modder

as said before...beamers (projectors)
    Also people who output their computer to a tv (which may happen here on this forum), or is your PC standing in your media-cabinet? :D

I have:
    3m from the Bluray-player to the AV-receiver. (which is the switch)
    7,5m from the PC to the AV-receiver (DVI-to-HDMI)
    15m from the AV-receiver to the beamer (projector) as it's on the other side of the room and on the ceiling)
    Wow, that's some serious cablelenghts you've got :thumb:
    I thought HDMI is only certified to 10m though, your 25m cable works well without an active repeater somewhere? What type is it?
    My 15m one works well in 1080p@24 mode, but only barely in 720p@60...and i've had one before that didn't.
    I've been told 2x7.5m with an active repeater is recommended... hmmm

7. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

I remember a broadcast engineer came in to Comet when I was working there as a temp. He wiped the floor with the staff when it came to cables and then left. I couldn't help but laugh as he offered me a wink on the way out. I did warn them not to mention cables!

Oh how I hated seeing people ripped off buying HDMI's for £100...

8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I love my cheap-ass HDMI cable.

I laughed heartily at the "Monster Cable" fiasco a few years ago that had a Component cable compared to an HDMI cable, claiming that both were HDMI and that the Monster HDMI cable was superior in quality, hence the image difference.

9. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Same goes for 'angel hair' audio cables...

10. RAIDER32

RAIDER32 What's a Dremel?

£10k for a cable!! :jawdrop:

I think £1000 is alot for a TV, you really need your head sorting if you'd pay x10 for the cable.

11. denysaputra

denysaputra Banned

Yes, is it interesting!

12. thil

thil What's a Dremel?

I don't own one, but people seem pretty happy with them down here. Kogan deals directly with the manufacturers, who make them to Kogan's specs. They mightn't be Samsung quality, but they ain't fifty bucks an inch, either. Some of the TVs use LG panels.

13. gliese581d

gliese581d What's a Dremel?

I buy my HDMI cables from Amazon and pay at most £2.75 for the Duronics with free delivery. and I just don't get how companies can charge so much. It is just branding.

14. Whirly

Whirly What's a Dremel?

I had a free copy of "Stuff" magazine sent to me a few months back and by half-way through I quite liked it in a "ooh, shiny!" kinda way. And then I read their "recommended" section which had a box-out for HDMI cables. It said something like "You should look to spend a minimum of £40 on an HDMI cable...".

At that point I figured that if they knew so little about something as basic as a DIGITAL cable, then what worth did their tech reviews actually have?

I really hate the scummy way people are ripped off if they don't happen to have full knowledge of the tech. As far as I'm concerned, telling someone they need to buy a "quality" HDMI cable off you is fraud.

15. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

£10k HDMI cable ?
    how about a 21k speaker cable :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: 7 Jul 2011
  16. Kacela

Kacela What's a Dremel?

I spent 8 years in electronic retail, and we were always under constant pressure to push the higher profit "add-ons," be they cables, batteries or something totally unrelated. That said, there are times when an HDMI cable considered "premium" could be needed: for aesthetic reasons (gold plated falls into this category as it isn't needed in HDMI's case), length, flexibility, right angle / swivel connectors and plenum-rated. Plenum rating means that it's covered in Teflon and can be run in-ceiling or in ducts and wont give off lethal gases like normal (usually PVC) covered cables will when exposed to fire.

Although none of these justify the exorbitant price examples in this thread, and there is no difference in picture quality, despite what people swear to (digital means 0 or 1, on or off, yes or no, works or not), there *are* legitimate times when a £10 cable is justified over an equal length £4 one.

17. [WP@]WOLVERINE

[WP@]WOLVERINE What's a Dremel?

You guys seem to have missed the fact that THERE ISNT a £10k cable ITS A TYPO!!!!

18. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

The one for the living room tv only has to handle 720p@24, so not exactly a huge drain on it. If I ever have to go 1080p, I'll probably just reroute the cable, but when I installed it I didn't want to drill a shitload of holes in the floor :D

19. Xir

Xir Modder

Ah, Thx!
    Mine ran happily with 1080p@24, but the bonus material on some Blurays is 720p@60 or something, causing signalloss. :grr:

Yes, audiocables or speakercables, not good unless ground moon rock is used for filtering out those nasty E-Rays :D
    People spend a FORTUNE on them

If you're really looking for a good flaming trolling fight, go to any HiFi website and state that "a cable is a cable" :D

20. tom_hargreaves

tom_hargreaves Comfy shoe wearer

Honest to God - If I were to win say, £100m on the Euromillions, I still wouldn't pay for that cable. It's fine having the money, but at the end of the day I still don't like being fleeced.

Tags: Add Tags