1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Power Monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeorgeK, 11 Jul 2011.

1. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Has anyone used one of these plug-in power monitors? CLICKY

If so, do they do the trick?

Any cheaper alternatives?

Cheers!

GK

2. Elmacho

Elmacho What's a Dremel?

Mains is the go to source for these types of monitors and 15 pounds isn't bad. In this form factor they are all going to be Mains and just look different and come in different plug formats. Alternatives are going to be wireless models and overall household consumption models but they all range in the 50 - 60 pound range.

3. snooky32

snooky32 What's a Dremel?

I have one of those you linked, quite intersting for a while - I picked mine up for under £10 off ebay. I've also used one of these which are great

4. Elmacho

Elmacho What's a Dremel?

The Watson is fantastic, but it shows an overall power usage, I am not sure if you can rig it to give you just one outlet's usage to monitor a system.

5. khemist

khemist What's a Dremel?

6. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I also have the 2000MU (from the original link) and it's amazing. This little device totally changed my opinion of power supplies and power draw - when I see my PC drawing 200 watts most of the day, it amuses me that so many people still buy 1000W+ PSUs that they just don't need. :)

7. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I also have a couple of the Maplins one and like LennyRhys was surprised at the actual power draw. I use mine for helping to calculate max heatload for my water cooled systems but also used one to check the power draw on my air conditioner, that was a shock.

8. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Yeah I actually went a bit crazy when I first got mine, testing virtually everything in the house that had a mains plug LOL. The kettle reigns supreme, drawing 3,000W :D