1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress TRON Lightcycle - MotY 3rd Place!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Boddaker, 27 Feb 2011.

1. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

Thanks man, and I need you to let me buy you a beer for donating your spare monitor to the cause. :rock: See ya soon!

2. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

bloody hell did not think it could get better then you come back to blow our minds even more

3. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:hehe: Well you got the bike the mouse the pad suppose the monitor had to be done too :D & looks very nice :rock:.

4. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Wow, an awesome mod along with an awesome monitor! That rocks! :) Ncie to see you back in action Brian! :)

5. Buck_Rogers25

Buck_Rogers25 Minimodder

One of the sickest scratch builds I've seen in a long while. Congratulations on the win mate and the press, it's a bloody master piece, you deserve it!!!

Damn, and I thought Trident was impressive :).

6. Boddaker

Thanks Koyoet!

Thanks Waynio. I have always believed that theme builds shouldn't be limited to just the case itself. The peripherals are just as much a part of the system as the case, and therefore should be modded! :)

Thanks Alex, I didn't want to get complacent and sit on my arse for too long lol.

Thank you Buck_Rogers!

7. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

Its no surprise to me that this mod got center stage. This is without a doubt one of the coolest mods I've ever seen. And now the monitor too? Oh my.

8. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:hehe: You got me thinking now :D ugh where will I stop :lol: really nice looking monitor mod though mate & with your lighting skills this should be rather special :dremel::thumb:.

9. Boddaker

Ok, now that PAX is over and done with, I can get caught up on my worklog updates. After PDXLAN, I had some time to wrap up the monitor mod. So I disassembled it and got it ready for paint.

Once cleaned up, I shoved some weather-stripping into the cutouts to keep paint from getting in there.
    [​IMG]

I had some thicker stuff to use for the cut out lettering on top.
    [​IMG]

Taped off the buttons at the bottom...
    [​IMG]

...and it's ready for primer.
    [​IMG]

Once again, using white primer under black paint to help the light travel through the acrylic.
    [​IMG]

While the paint was drying, I started working on the edge lighting. For this I'm using more blue led strips and 1/4" C-channel to cover them up.
    [​IMG]

I cut the led strips to length and taped them to the edge with electrical tape.
    [​IMG]

Then I slipped the C-channel over the led strips and screwed them into place.
    [​IMG]

Hooked the lights up to my spare psu to see how the cutouts light up:
    [​IMG]

Closeup of one side:
    [​IMG]

Once I confirmed the lights worked, I disassembled the edges and painted the C-channel to match, and hard-wired the lights to the monitor's circuit board. Unfortunately, the voltage source I tapped into was only 7 volts, so the lights are quite dim as a result. I will have to run a line out from the psu over to the monitor to get the needed 12v. I will also have to add an extra strip up by the TRON lettering, as the edge lighting falls off well before getting to the middle.

Regardless, here are a couple shots of everything together on the desk:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thought I would also throw in a couple pics from PAX this last weekend. I didn't make it into the BYOC, but EVGA was kind enough to provide some table space for TRON at their booth. :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It drew quite the crowd, as well as Quorra, who wanted to take the lightcycle and ride it off the grid. I had to convince her it was just a PC.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Waynio likes this.
  10. Korvus

Korvus May contain traces of sanity.

Don't know if this has been asked allready but, how are temps etc going with that curved radiator? Very curious :eek:

11. Maximilian

Maximilian WC Virgin

:eeek: Incredible!

12. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

Very sweet monitor mod. This completes one awesome build Bod. :thumb: :D :clap:

13. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Already commented over on tbcs expressing how awesome this is but the Only thing that disapoints me about those shots is EVGA in your face as if they made it & the actual makers BM logo being a tiny easily missable logo for people checking this fine mod out but really awesome complete package mod Bod +rep guess thats how it is when you get a nice helping hand from companies & building a working relationship with them so I'm sure it's worth it & a fair exchange :D.

Another grade A+ mod to your collection mate :).

I've learnt a nice usage with neon type acrylic by seeing this, cheers Brian :).

14. alonso_bistro

alonso_bistro I'm just looking

your mod is one thousand times more beautiful than the babe.... :D

15. Stem83

Stem83 Addicted to modding.

thats cos she looks like my mum.... if my mum was Asian.

Deffo a stunning creation!

(just prey to god it comes back in one piece)

16. Boddaker

I've been meaning to run some benchmarks, but just haven't had the chance with all the shows I've been going to. I can tell you that running stock frequencies, it idles nicely at 26º C all day long. I'm planning to run some tests this weekend now that it's pretty much done and I have no immediate obligations. :)

Thanks Maximilian & Craig!

Thanks Wayne for both posts. :) Yeah EVGA was kind enough to give up 1/3 of their table space to display my case, so I didn't mind having their logo everywhere. It was their booth after all lol. And the guys are so cool, I probably could have brought a floor-to-ceiling BM logo to display next to TRON as well and they wouldn't have minded. :D

lol thanks alonso :)

Haha, thanks Stem. Didn't have to worry this time, as I drove it up to the show myself. :thumb:

17. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Great news on all the shows, it must be a great feeling to see your case on display like that :thumb:

18. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

were you, by chance, sitting in a chair to the right of the tron case at PAX? if so...i saw you!

that case is even more epic looking in person. pics dont do it justice.

19. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

Just wanted to add something to this build thread so it went back to front page AS I LIKE IT SO MUCH and its easier to find then :D

20. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

I absolutely love this. I know this is late, but congratulations with the Competition win and all the resulting success you received and will receive :). This mod is a massive contender for Mod of the Year for sure along with Stealthlow and a few others I can't remember right now.