1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory 8gb ram showing 3.50 useable...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by guysy1110, 12 Jul 2011.

1. guysy1110

guysy1110 What's a Dremel?

Ive just upgraded my 4gb of ram with another matching 4gb's to have 8gb total... photoshop was maxing at 98% on load so i thought id get some more... installed and turned on but in system props its showing 8gb but only 3.50gb useable...

Google told me people running 32bit windows can have problems but im running 64bit

another thread said make sure memory remap is enabled and it is...

Under enabled it saids: PCI MMIO allocation: 4gb to 3584mb...

the board is Asus p7p55d e lx, the ram is G-Skill 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz Ripjaws Memory Kit CL7(7-8-7-24) 1.6V

^ thats the original ram... the new ram is exactly the same spec but it says 1.65v

Any help please?

[​IMG]

Just asked on my motoring forum and they suggested trying a fresh install on a spare disk but i dont have one, upgrading my bios which i have done just now, and i remembered i already upgraded it when i first got the board...

then i remembered i had remapping Enabled, but re read and it said Dissable... i thought i had it licked but not the case...

Only other thing left to do someone suggested was swap the modules about...

The board can support 16gb so thats fine...

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Try just taking it out and swapping the slots around :) Failing that, get a linux boot CD and use that, see what it say.

Oh, when you first power on, how much RAM does the POST screen say?

3. guysy1110

Just swapped the pairs around... no change...

Memory remap is currently disabled...

Ok i have linux on Hirens boot cd i think... ill try that.

Heres the 1 of the old and the new ram (1.65 module is the newer)

[​IMG]

Thanks.

4. donok

donok Every Little Helps .....

try one stick at a time. maybe its a slot or a certain stick of ram thats not working. also try checking the bios for system info on memory

5. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

A possible option is -

Control Panel -> Administrative Tools --> System Configuration ---> Boot ----> Advanced Options -----> & untick Maximum Memory.

6. guysy1110

So after some googling i checked msconfig> boot> advanced... made sure it was unticked maximum memory..

Edit: thanks pocket demon yeah i did that and and the enable mapping and its worked

Restarted, nothing... then went into bios again and made sure it was enabled... now i have 8gb and 7.5gb available :)

I dont know if it should be full but i think its working perfectly now, slightly faster and my desktop gadget is showing 21% at start instead of 49% ram usage.

Thanks for the support :)

7. guysy1110

Edit again:

I had maximum memory TICKED... so i unticked it like said rebooted and got the full 8gb

Thank god for that!

Thanks for the help people