1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Crysis 2 DirectX 11 Patch Analysis

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 8 Jul 2011.

1. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

had 3, one went bang, rma'd for refund due to redundancy :/

2. feathers

feathers Minimodder

So the hardware's not bad then. Probably air cooled? My 560's were 70 to 85c full load on air with lots of db. Now 35c max on liquid and near silent.

I guess it's your eyesight that's the real problem then. I reinstalled crysis 1 recently and set ultra detail, was shocked how cartoony the textures look compared to c2.

3. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

I shouldn't feed the troll but do you ever stop going on about your body vibration, surround sound and now watercooling? I mean seriously, do you have serious e-peen problems? Most of us are quite happy putting our rigs in our sig and leaving it at that, not needing to brag about "setup" but you insist on bragging about your gear and your rig.

Why don't you go troll elsewhere instead of searching for someone in this post to say something bad about crysis 2 so you can jump on them and say you were shocked how cartoony crysis 1 was, which you've actually said twice and then mention your body vibration and other audio setup. Next you'll be saying you play using 3 monitors at 5760x1200 at 500FPS, unless of course you already have and you missed it.

On topic: It would've been nice to see some benchmarks of the new patch, maybe include crysis 2 in the GPU reviews?

4. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Nope, I never stop about body vibration, surround sound or my liquid cooling. I don't have 3 monitors because that would be just plain silly. I don't have the desk space for that. I guess I will stop bragging about hardware and jumping on people when certain people stop the incessant crysis 2 hating.

Now, did I tell you how easy it is to make your own body vibration system using a bass driver and audio amp?

Actually I probably haven't bragged about Fresnel gaming yet, I will get round to that.

5. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

I honestly couldn't care less, you know why? Because my body vibrating with the game is a gimmick, hell vibration support on controllers is pretty much a gimmick, you don't lose anything by having it off. And as for the Crysis 2 hating do you not think people are entitled to their opinion? If they hate Crysis 2 then they hate it, it doesn't matter what you say or what you think, your opinion is your own, their opinion is their opinion, you're all entitled to it, so why do you insist on making sure they choose your opinion instead of their own?

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

no you shouldn't. i stopped reply precisely that. how can you argue with someone who places graphics before gameplay? how can you argue with someone with such a big ego bubble for their machine?

7. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Vibration is a gimmick is it? That's a common misconception unfortunately. Tell me, when you get up from your computer chair, walk to the fridge and pull out a chicken, is your body completely lacking any tactile feedback? I don't know about you, but when I walk around, I can feel the ground beneath my feet, I can feel the vibrational energy as my feet make contact with the floor. And when I go driving, I feel the vibration from the road. Perhaps you lack that sense of touch? I am trying to imagine how it would feel to wake up like you and be totally lacking any sense of touch feedback. I would feel totally disconnected from reality. Is that how it is for you?

No, I like my games the way I like reality - with vibration feedback. I want to feel every footstep, every explosion and the kick from a gun firing. I want to feel the engine of the tank I'm driving or the jet I'm flying.

But I can understand if you were born without tactile senses then my way of gaming would seem odd to you.

Re: Crysis 2 hating.

People can have their opinion and I can have mine. You won't see me demanding a thread be locked because someone disagrees with me. Seems to me like you all take yourselves way too seriously. You've got one of those tedious school-yard clique things going on where you think this is YOUR home and you can attack anyone who doesn't worship you or who dares to stand up to you.

Anyone you take a dislike to is labelled a troll.

Sorry but I can't take you seriously. You can stomp around like little schoolboy thugs all you want. Demand the thread be locked, call me a troll and send private messages to moderators demanding your home be protected from the invader.

One giant LOL.

Last edited: 11 Jul 2011
  8. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

I find it a gimmick because it's not a accurate feedback, it's just vibrations when you would expect vibration, unless you can 100% accurately feel vibration where you would in real life what's the point? It's just vibration for the sake of vibration. Now I'm going to stop feeding this troll, goodbye thread!

9. feathers

feathers Minimodder

It doesn't have to be 100% accurate feedback. The vibration is based on the low frequency energy of the audio effects rather than someone's force feedback interpretation. Thus the vibration is accurate enough to be very convincing. Eyeball shake is eyeball shake no matter where it comes from. When I run body vibration with a flightsim then you have a similar vibrational experience to the real thing. Take that vibration away and the sim is flat and lifeless.

I've been building body vibration systems since the mid 80's so I really don't need your input on the subject.

Now, I've had enough of the teenage bullies who seek to drive someone away because they don't share the same view.

10. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Bottom line is:

I liked Crysis 1 enough to complete the single player campaign and would play it again perhaps. I pretty much skipped Warhead so maybe I should play that sometime.

Now C2 is fixed I like that too.

Perhaps I could replay them without cloaking.

11. knuck

knuck Hate your face

huh... get off your high horse already, jeeeeeez

I was hoping for this thread to be an interesting read considering I just bought the game but it's just a bunch of childish BS

12. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Two words: Custard Balls.

You should be playing the game already. I think I'm nearing the end of the single player now.

13. Bigspleen

Bigspleen What's a Dremel?

I am beginning to think Bit-tech and many sites are blinded by crysis's 2 graphics because of hype, and the name.

Am I the only one who booted up c2, and was shocked how average it looked?

Now, I try the dx 11 patch, sure an improvement, but many areas still underwhelm. The tress are really low res 2d sprites, and look embarassing compared to the other high end textures. Even with this patch it doesn't look near as good as crysis. Anyone saying otherwise is fooling themself.

On top of this you have much smaller scale, and destructibility.

maybe people complain about crysis 2 because it was dissappointing, hard to imagine i know. They took what was a nice tactical big mapped fps and turned it into COD with a suit. The speed suit power now is a regular spirint that is in every FPS game. Why not just take it out? Speed in c1 was just that fast, its a regular run in c2. Why can't the character run normally in c2 without using suit power? moronic.

The game funnels you into areas instead of giving you many ways like c1.

i like how c2 tells you there are tactical options available, thanks for treating me like an idiot crytek.

14. feathers

feathers Minimodder

"Am I the only one who booted up c2, and was shocked how average it looked?" - No, you're not the only one, but you are in a minority. It's true not all textures in C2 are high res but most are and the screenshots speak for themselves. As the majority of non-biased gamers have stated across various forums: C2 looks great even in DX9.

I think it's time I took some in game screenshots of trees etc in C1 and C2 in order to demonstrate the higher res textures. Not all of the textures in C2 are high res (some of the rock textures for example look lower) but some of the trees have incredible detail closeup. I actually wonder if some of the C1 lovers have actually played C2 at all or perhaps only played it for 10 minutes before throwing a tantrum and going back to C1. C1 was great in my view but I've been there done that. C2 is here, deal with it.

I will reinstall C1 today if I have time and take some screenshots on ultra settings.

15. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Its even worse for the ones that tried the several graphical modifications that exist for Crysis 1. Even at 20FPS, you are amazed by the graphics, Crysis 2 just fails to meet the graphical expectations.
    In the gamplay, Crysis 2 (so far, havent finished it yet) is just a series of funnels.

Guru3D made an extensive report on the patches:
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/crysis-2-dx11-vga-and-cpu-performance-benchmarks/1

16. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I wonder if you can actually read the conclusion in the link you posted?

"We hope you liked this little soirée of tests which will be an indicator of overall performance. Make no mistake, this upgrade makes your GPU(s) sweat, but Crysis 2 has become amongst the best looking games anno 2011, and though late to market with these patches, it is a much welcomed upgrade.

We just hope that you did not finish the game back in March already."

I suspect what's going on here is the same thing that happened when C1 was released. Lots of kids got angry because they couldn't run C1 on ultra settings on their low end PC so they started saying "C1 is badly coded". C2 is here and once again is taxing their low end PC's so they get angry and say C1 looks better which as anyone with a brain knows is absolute bollocks.

17. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    I did. The key point of their conclusion was "anno 2011". A modified Crysis 1 still beats it visually and gameplay wise.

18. feathers

feathers Minimodder

You can always mod a game to make it look better, but the bog standard official crysis 1 game certainly does not look better. I've modded simulator X (released 2006 if I recall) and with the HD scenery packs it looks absolutely amazing. The point is though that the official sim X without addons doesn't compare graphically to modern games. Now I've just reinstalled Crysis Warhead and taken some screenshots of trees on the maximum game settings (enthusiast). They look dated compared to C2. I will post comparison later today.

I would be interested to know what C1 graphics mods you're using though so perhaps you can post links?

But certainly a bog standard C1 does not compare to C2 graphically so when you're saying C1 looks better, you should be more honest and state not with original graphics :)

19. impar

impar Minimodder

20. Bigspleen

Bigspleen What's a Dremel?

HUH, where is your proof im in the minority, most everywhere you go its pretty much common knowledge c1 is way superior in graphics and gameplay, most reviews even say as such. A bit biased, you related to Yerli? You defend c2 like its dear to you.

The screenshots look no better then many current games on the market, and not near as good and detailed or large as c1. I can post a screenshot in c2 with dx11 that shows some average at best textures and graphics. Cant say the same for c1.

Tags: Add Tags