1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 13 Jul 2011.

1. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Of course anyone with any brains looking for a cheap, poweful upgrade to a dual core setup, would buy the Phenom II 955 which at only £85 is an absolute bargain and when easily overclocked to 3.8Ghz or more is good enough for any game out there, when partnered with a decent GPU...

2. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Really the best thing about this CPU is that it lowers the prices at the other end of the family of Quads. This, again, means that people who (accidentally?) bought Athlons in the first place can get a genuine upgrade on the cheap.

This is also nice, because I happen to have one and it OC's better than the 975 BE I also happen to have.. :) But yeah for new buyers it's such an irrelevant chip.

3. iajo

iajo What's a Dremel?

i cant see a reason to buy this chip sadly, im still running 939 so an upgrade is on the cards, the good thing with amd is that i can upgrade to an am3+ mobo and get a bargain 955 which will last me ages and then when i am ready i will be able to upgrade to bulldozer.

Thats where intel lets the side down imho, i nearly bought an i5760 last year then a couple of months later a sandy bridge 2500k destroys it for the same money only you have to upgrade the mobo aswell. Pretty much doubles the cost of upgrades.

Good thing with being a few gens behind is upgrades come cheaper and i can see a clear upgrade path rather than spending loads on systems that become obsolete fast I7 for example. Intel give great bang for the buck at the time of purchase but new sockets with every new chip and restricting ocing to premium chips is in bad taste.

4. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

iajo - can I have your 939 processor (if it's the rare 4800 X2) when you've finished with it?

5. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Surely the way you mark things is by comparing to other products in the market. Intel can't score over 100% after all, so if the AMD is way way behind, the score should be way way behind as well. It's a bad product at this point in time, compared to the competition right now.

6. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

was Cnq turned off or more so C1e just off and CnQ on or both off, when tests was done as well

as i have had performance issues with the AMD cpu's (none Phenom 2's) just not there when CnQ on is on and more so when C1e is enabled (main one been disk subsystem operating slowly with C1e enabled )

7. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

Damn. I really wanted to believe that cpus had become so fast that they didn't make much difference in gaming.I really wanted to switch to AMD for my next upgrade, but at this point they don't even seem so great in terms of value either.

8. knutjb

knutjb What's a Dremel?

Think back to Intel forcing builders to use their CPUs. The fines from those anti-competitive acts were chump change to what it did to AMD. AMD was (is?) struggling to fund R&D which takes many years to realize. Their high end will come back eventually but how many patents will Intel control by then? Patents in x64 are what helped AMD survive along with ATI. The real money for AMD is based on the Radeon marketing strategy of bottom to middle market segments where the volume is. High end, flagship products are great for marketing but they don't contribute very much to day to day products.

If I were buying a laptop for me it would be an i5 (the i fits well for Apple). For a light user/web surfer like my wife an AMD E350 tablet or laptop will fit her needs to a t. Glad I don't need a new desktop yet because I would rather buy an AMD on corporate moral grounds but those products aren't where I want them to be. Maybe Bulldozer will help if it ever shows. (Yes I really do buy products based on who and where they are made whenever I can. My money my choice.)

9. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Nov/Dec 2009 AMD won $1.25billion from Intel for being anti-competitive. I wonder if Bulldozer will be the result of that R&D cash pile ... ? It certainly isn't this chip!

10. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Most people would say that a product that is woefully slower, more expensive and power inefficient compared to a competitor's 2 year old products is a pretty crap product. If Samsung/Apple/HTC came out with a new smartphone that could not compete with 2 year old smartphones, that would receive terrible publicity.

11. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

It still can't even compete against the first gen i7 Cpus from Intel which where released (let me check some history books) in Nov 2008.

Bulldozer can't come fast enough.

12. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Wow... I was trying not to pay attention to how slow my cpu is compared to the new Intel stuff is, but wow! Factor in power consumption to an my system feels like an old american muscle car... heavy, slow and thirsty. Looks pretty though! I much prefer the phenom logo and name!

13. snaggster

snaggster What's a Dremel?

My 3 year old q9450 @ 3.6ghz scores 1580 points overall on the custom pc benchmark suite. Go figure AMD.

14. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

My crosshair v is missing a chip... AMD htfu and release bulldozer and I better be able to overclock the bejaysus out if it

15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

amd seriously needs to stop releasing these small bumps in performance. the only people who would buy this cpu at this point are amd fanatics or people upgrading from something like a dual core athlon II. i'd much rather see amd release a 32nm phenom II x6 with a competitive price.

however, i'm sure what we ALL want to see is bulldozer and the next-generation llanos. if the first llano wasn't phenom II based i'm sure it'd have done much better.

16. stoff3r

stoff3r What's a Dremel?

4.3 GHZ and then only 50-ish fps in Crysis with no AA, AF. Whutt???? It's like I would beat that with my q6600 @3ghz or something :p

17. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Nice to see the overclocked i5 760 holding its' own still.

18. Blanx3_Bytex

Blanx3_Bytex What's a Dremel?

I was under the impression products were reviewed, as a product alone, with comparison to other products being secondary.
    Damnit, Imma re-read the reviewing guide now :(

19. RedDethX

RedDethX What's a Dremel?

Pretty disappointing, 955BE is much better value if you were to get AMD at this point, but there's no reason to tbh, unless you just need a quick upgrade or a change in processor and already have the motherboard and RAM like I did :/ WTB Bulldozer so I can see if I can use that or go SB.

20. Kaihekoa

Kaihekoa What's a Dremel?

I am surprised AMD makes enough money off of these clock bumps to merit their continued release when they are being outclassed by Intel in every aspect of performance and in every price range.

Tags: Add Tags