1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards P6X58D-E - 12Gb installed, 8Gb showing?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Han$en, 13 Jul 2011.

1. Han$en

Han$en Skulltrail!

Hi

I have a Asus P6X58D-E, and 6x 2Gb (2x 6Gb kits) Corsair Dominator PC12800 with Modelnumber: CMP6GX3M31600C8.

BIOS + Windows only finds 8Gb RAM, but CPU-Z finds all 12Gb.. What's the problem? All RAM blocks are tested individually and works just fine, they are all seated right and all should be fine..

I'm not running any Overclock or anything, and have not changed anything in the BIOS! I'm running the latest 0701 BIOS.

Does anyone have an solution? :confused:

2. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Have you selected the XMP option in the BIOS? Try that first. Failing that, try manually setting the speed of the RAM and relax the timings a bit.

If that doesn't work, try rolling back the BIOS to 0602 with the memory recheck feature. I had a similar issue with my Asus R3 Extreme board until I updated to a BIOS with that feature added.

If all of the above fails, try testing the RAM in sets of 6GB. There are well known problems with X58 boards having all available memory slots populated, especially with overclocking (although not the case with you at present).

Best of luck and repost your findings.

3. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

A motherboard bios update should sort out your problem, try going back one

Cheers,

Simon.

4. Han$en

Han$en Skulltrail!

Hi guys!

I've tried using the XMP, and manually setting the timings also with no luck.. I'll try downgrading to 0602 later. I've allready testet the ram blocks, both in sets as the came, and individually, block by block, socket by socket :)

5. Han$en

Han$en Skulltrail!

0602 is no good either.. I can't even find the Memory Recheck in BIOS..

I tried again with all kinds of settings and ****, no more than 8Gb can be read allready under "System Information" in BIOS.. I think my motherboard is gay :(

6. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Have you increased QPI voltage? Sometimes that's all it takes... :thumb:

7. Han$en

Han$en Skulltrail!

I'm all new to X58, so no.. What should i increase it to? I'm running a stock 950:rock:

8. Han$en

Han$en Skulltrail!

It's the QPI/Dram you mean right? XMP profile sets it at 1.4000V - Even 1.5500V won't help..

9. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Yeah that's the one. I would disable XMP until you sort out the issue though. What version of Windows are you running? The cheaper versions have an 8GB memory cap.

10. Han$en

Han$en Skulltrail!

Ultimate x64 - So i should be able to have 192Gb usable.. :)

Well, i have no idea at all how to solve my problem..

11. treker_ed

treker_ed What's a Dremel?

This is straight from Microsoft - if you have windows home basic - the max amount of ram accessible is only 8gb.
    The next version (home premium) can handle 16gb, and then windows 7 Pro, enterprise, and ultimate can handle up to 192gb (on 64bit versions of course)

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Is it certain slots that are not working? Or only when all 6 DIMMs are in?

13. Han$en

Han$en Skulltrail!

I have no idea really..

Here's a Screenie, of Windows saying 8Gb like Bios also does, and CPU-Z that finds all 12Gb:

[​IMG]

14. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Firstly, you need to find out if you have a duff ram slot on the motherboard. You said you've tested all the memory and it all worked, but it doesn't look like you've tested each ram slot.

Put a stick in slot 1 and boot, then move it to slot 2 and reboot. Rinse and repeat until you've proven all motherboard ram slots are working.

15. Han$en

Han$en Skulltrail!

Can't do that, regarding to the Manual - I did try!

"Due to Intel CPU spec difinition, the system will not boot if only one DIMM is installed in DIMM slot A2, B2 or C2. Follow the illistrations above for recommended memory configuration"

A2, B2, and C2 slots only works when ABC 1 are busy :) But - If it should be faulty RAM slots, howcome CPU-Z, Everest and other Apps like that see's 12Gb, but BIOS + Windows only sees 8Gb?

16. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Is your particular model of RAM on the motherboards qualified vendor list for your chosen configuration of 12gb?

17. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

I remember I had a problem like this with the P6TD deluxe and my gskill stock them went for the low voltage corsair sticks I am now running and never had a problem since

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

18. Han$en

Han$en Skulltrail!

Exact model is not listed in the QVL - But nothing is listed af 6 modules anyway..

But i know that my exact model is supported in 12Gb configuration somehow - I saw a review some time ago with one running same RAM and motherboard with full enjoy of the 12Gb.. But i can't seem to find it anymore..

19. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

If you look at the qvl for your board, you'll see a set of corsair ram which supports use in all slots of your board but when you look at the timings, for all six slots to be populated, the ram has to be throttled back to 1333spd with 9-9-9-24 at stock voltage. These timings are shown in the brackets. Try that.

20. Han$en

Han$en Skulltrail!

Allready tried that with no change.. I'm just about to give up the motherboard and buying something else...