1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Just been made redundant!!

Discussion in 'General' started by flame696, 13 Jul 2011.

1. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

Well after 4 years of service i was told today i have 6 weeks and then my contract will be terminated due to the fact that the store i ran i closing down i feel like crap today im not sure what im going to do, My regional manager has said that i will be able to apply for any job thats being advertised but then that means take a step back and basically throwing away 4 years of hard work and start all over again i dont know what to do i feel like screaming

2. Canon

Canon Reformed

It's a horrible feeling mate. Being totally honest the best thing you can do right now is have a good scream then get your head down, take the step back and get the next year or so over and done with, the sooner you start the sooner you will be back on track.

All the best.

3. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Canon got it down a treat buddy, Best of luck for the future.

4. slaw

slaw At Argos buying "gold"

Hey

Sorry to hear that. I hope your next job is better and this time next year, your in a much better position.

5. flame696

thx guys but im not getting any younger im 31 it feels like crap especially after you work you ass off for them and make so much money and they can still turn around and tell you to F**k off :duh:

6. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

I had to make 4 members of my team redundant lately and then take a step down the ladder myself. But it's the way of the world at the moment, just gotta remind yourself that it's not your fault and that it could be a lot worse.

7. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

you think you've got it bad, ive been made redundant from the past 3 jobs.

someone isnt going home if i get a 4th.

8. stefan442

stefan442 Minimodder

Yea, could be a lot worse. What shop was it you ran if you don't mind me asking?

9. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

It happens tragically buddy, I know thats of no comfort but companies at the minute have the upperhand in the jobs-market. They know this and abuse it to their whim.

i.e. done a tonne of work for the company I'm at the past year and got told to be quiet when I asked for a raise about all the extra jobs I do. One of them things I guess!

10. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

You're not throwing away 4 years.. thats experience. I can imagine it must really suck at the moment, but dont let it get you down and try to find a new, hopefully better, job. Just keep reminding yourself it's not your fault.

Good luck mate.

11. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Why would they close the store down if you were making so much money?

12. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Because companies see human cost higher than profit sometimes.

I.e. if you closed down a store you could pay out 4 x £10K of redundancy. While if you kept the store running for 2 years you could be looking at more cash being lost. Business is business.

13. Pieface

Pieface Modder

But if they were making so much money, that it confuses the OP to be made redundant, and to close the store, it seems like basic bad economics. Business is business yet, but this seems like bad business.

14. sb89

sb89 What's a Dremel?

Sorry to hear that. I've not had to experience it (yet) but I can imagine what it feels like.

Hope you can find something soon.

15. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I keep telling myself this but I don't believe myself. Job hunting is like throwing your self-esteem in a blender.

16. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Ain't that the truth.

I look daily for jobs in my area, and 99% of what's available is companies looking for highly skilled professionals or people who have lots of previous experience & university qualifications; when one could not afford to go to university and 'only' has 10 years of retail experience one suddenly realizes how royally screwed one is. There are no jobs ( full time or even close ) for me, none close enough that I could commute easily, and the few 'unskilled' jobs available are over-subscribed with applications from people who are much better candidates ( carehome workers, waiters, door to door salesmen & fundraisers etc ).

I'm just lucky I have some savings to keep me going for a fair while, but this current economic situation is not going to improve any time soon.... lottery syndicate anyone?

17. flame696

One of the reasons i was given is that the lease on the building was coming up and they didnt want to renew it so no matter how much money I took it wasnt going to help

18. flame696

Ive been on that track for a few weeks but to no avail but one day ill win it..One day!

19. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

Good luck with finding new job.

Its the 7th redundancy for me, (prob could get rich just on redundancy money).

Im over 40 now, and thats older than you.

Im now working a min wage job, even though skilled, but for me a job is a job, and better to look for work when you have a job.

Ive never had a problem before, getting work, being skilled, usually 5 mins into an interview and immediateley offered a job.

However times are really hard now, and so difficult to proove yourself, some of the jobs now that used to pay well, are paying Jack ****, as was mentioned, the employers are playing to their advantage.

Now i have to wait for replies in post, had to laugh at one of the interview replies, told i came second out of over 400 people, May aswell been 399, when only 1st counts.

good luck again

20. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Find out who came 1st and knee cap them one dark night... :worried: