1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU AMD or Intel ? Your opinion

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bitemebad91, 13 Jul 2011.

1. Bitemebad91

Bitemebad91 What's a Dremel?

I wasn't asking the question ... Well I was but it was just a conversation starter to see what would come of it and maybe find out some new information :p

I'll always choose the best CPU that has the processing power/reliability to cost ratio just like most people do with their graphics cards :)

2. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

amd, bcos they're not evil

and while i'm a AMD fanboy i won't ignore Intel cpu's if they're better.

3. Crossing

Crossing What's a Dremel?

I'm an AMD fanboy, mostly because they have better business practices, and have better performance/money. No one *really* needs a $1000 intel six core processor vs a $280 AMD six core.

4. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome What's a Dremel?

Ohh:eek: ,It wasn't ment as a direct question to you. I will also allways buy the best bang for buck processor. Right now i have the low tier G6950 and a middle tier i5 750, but i regret not buying an athlon x2 250.:duh:

Great thread by the way, really liked how there is nearly or no flaming or fanboyism:thumb:. This thread might prove very useful for newbies wondering which platform to buy.

Keep it up;)

5. Lord-Vale3

Lord-Vale3 His Tremendousness

Intel. For me its the performance.

The fact that it is also the most power efficient and price/performance ratio also happens to be better is just icing on the cake.

6. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

My favourite is whoever makes the best chip for the price I can afford to pay at the time I'm buying.

7. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

For a very tight budget Id pick AMD - but for an all rounder or enthusiast it would be intel ofcourse.

8. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

Always been happy with Intel, especially since they released the Core 2 chips - unfortunately AMD haven't been able to match for pure performance since then.

Never really considered AMD and hadn't owned and AMD CPU until I bought my AMD Fusion powered netbook 2 weeks ago. Haven't regretted it one second, if only as AMD allow HDMI output on the Fusion/Brazos/Ontario platform. Certainly doesn't hurt having AMD around, even if only to provide Intel with competition.

9. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Either, AMD and Intel are both awesome brands. My old X2 3800+ boots up faster than my Q6600 in RAID, and its only got 1gb of ram too. Go figure...

10. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

We'll see what happens with Bulldozer, but AMD has been failing at most prince points since Conroe came out.

11. Bitemebad91

Bitemebad91 What's a Dremel?

I have the stock core 2 duo with was stock at 2.51ghz or something and I've overclocked it to 3.5 ghz with a h70 :p so there's really no need for me to upgrade atm because I'm a gamer and it does the job for me :)

Thanks :) I'm a newbie in a way haha my first build was January this year but i like to think i know a fair bit well not a lot compared to some of the people on here.. Oh well I have a lifetime to learn :) I'm going to upgrade around new years just to see what intel releases in retaliation to amd's bulldozer haha

12. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I went from AMD to Intel in 2007 and have never looked back, and I doubt I ever will. Why Intel? More powerful than AMD, and more overclockable too.

13. DarrenH

DarrenH What's a Dremel?

Built my new system about a year ago now and at the time an AMD/ATI solution was the best for my budget.

12 months on and no regrets whatsoever. An amazing PC that has done everything I wanted it to do, with ease. The 965BE is a beast. Have added another 5770 for crossfire now they are cheaper and upgraded to 12GB Ram as they are such great prices at the mo.

My Base system cost me £650 inc. case fans and I could build the same now for £500 with current prices - an absolute steal! I would have another AMD system in a heart beat and if I had the money I would set up an Intel rig as well.

14. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Neither.

Build an Intel system if bothered about performance. Build AMD system for a Budget build.

Next will be an AMD Low Power Server.

15. sb89

sb89 What's a Dremel?

I don't really have a favourite. I'll go with whatever is the best performance vs price.

16. IcyAero

IcyAero What's a Dremel?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/...core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/14

New Intel's 4-core processors cost the same as AMD's new 6-core processors. (talking about 2500 and 1100T here). And would you see at the test results.. so why would you need 6 cores when you get more performance for your money with 4 cores and less power usage? ;)

17. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

People have a favourite brand? I just get whatever is best.

18. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Toss a coin, let fate decide!

19. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

Depends how much money i have to throw at it.
    I have been AMD for the last 7/8 years (4 ish machines) as they have best suited my budget and as some others have said offered a nice upgrade path.

At work however when i have been given a budget to build a workstation i have chosen Intel almost every time.

20. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Intel for me, at the moment.

I like AMD, and I hope they can put out a cracking family of chips, like the core series for Intel. However, in the areas that matter to me, they are not competitive right now.

Having said that, if I was building a new HTPC now, I'd be giving AMD a serious dose of looking at.