1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Xigmatek Elysium Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 15 Jul 2011.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

We'll hopefully have an update soon!

2. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

Agreed. At it's present state, this review is next to useless. Not even to photos are particularly presentative, excluding the one showing how stupid it will look with only aircooled vanilla ATX build inside it.

You don't review a high performance sports car based on it's suitability to every grocery shopping either, now do you?

3. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

The issue with reviewing a W/C case with WCing is that every loop will be different, and will be more dependant on your choice of loop components than the layout of the case. What more do you need to know other what radiators can be mounted where? Your choice of pump, rad, blocks, whether to WC the chipset; these are far greater factors for W/Cing performance.

My point is, If we fit a W/C loop into it, we'd be testing the loop more than the chassis.

4. Tokari

Tokari What's a Dremel?

Monster of a case! I'm looking forward to seeing Bloody_Pete's efforts using this case.

5. bobwya

bobwya Custom PC Migrant

What would be useful is to see you guys trying out various thin and thicker standard 15mm spaced 120mm & 140mm rad.'s to test static mount clearance. My criteria for a W/C case would be down to internal mount clearance - can you use thicker 32mm fans? Will rad. spacers fit in as well? Few pictures of that would be useful.

It's very difficult (for me to anyway!!) to visualise how a big 360 monster rad.+spacer+32mm panflow fans is going to look in a case - when I only have tiny internet pictures of the stock case to go on! You wouldn't even need to construct a working water-loop to show this functionality of the case!

Looks like this case would allow a monster-sized roof rad. (with clearance for spacers, push-pull - whatever floats your boat really).

On the subject of the reviewed Xigmatek case:
    I switched off when I read: 'bulging sections of plastic', in the review. Otherwise the case looks very nice... Maybe an aluminium rebuild would be in order for people who don't visit the gym regularly as well...

6. dream1

dream1 What's a Dremel?

Nice case, it got lot of room to fill some stuff even for WS mobos :) Great !

7. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

Could've put a water cooling loop in there, it's not primarily designed to be an air cooled case and should have a different set of testing parameters.

I completely disagree with Baz's statement that you would be testing the loop more than the case as that's all you're doing with your standard test hardware, to be fair you guys should have a standard testing loop anyway.

Test to see how easy it is to install the loop, remove, fill, drain etc all the things that makes large cases favourable with water coolers.

I was really looking forward to seeing how this case handled a water loop.

8. TARIKK

TARIKK Minimodder

Guys, whats the height of this case, I mean including the wheels, the highest point. Trying to figure out if it will fit under my desk or not.

9. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

The very least they could do is get one of those prebuilt water loops to test with when it comes to WC cases. That way it's always the same loop used from case to case, and they could say they actually used water in a WC case instead of having a lonely little motherboard all alone in a gigantic case and testing it's air-cooling performance. lolwut.

10. Necrow

Necrow Minimodder

Excellent looking case and loads of room. Very impressed with the proportions and the front rack with nothing wasting space like cages etc... Add to that some water cooling kit with some nice Xigmatek 120mm orange fans and it will be pure cheesecake

11. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

68cm standard, the wheels add a couple of cm to this.

Anyone wanting to see this case in is W/C goodness then look at my thread (link in sig). I'll hopefully be finished tomorrow so then I can take some finished pics, but you can already tell how it'll look :)

Just remember, BT can't do everything, they have limited time and a specific feature set to do these reviews with otherwise you cannot compare cases. What's needed is a W/C case group test though I think, I feel sorry for the poor bugger having to fit and refit a W/C system each time though...

12. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

i agree with the w/c components, even if its just installing the rads to show what the case looks like with the rads installed would be a big step up imo.
    but i think they should also test each case with all the fan mounts filled with a decent performance fan as this would be representing the typical usage of enthusiasts and ive seen alot of cases let down by poor performance fans

13. justicefornone

justicefornone What's a Dremel?

Wow, and I thought building system inside my NZXT Phantom was spacious! That's rather incredible! Next system might have to be a water-cooled system.

14. blackworx

blackworx Cable Wrangler

Either it's not very photogenic, or that's one ugly case.

15. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Its actually quite pretty in the flesh :)

16. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

Kinda sad we need to rely on other forum users to get any useful information out of a reviewed case, don't you think? Fortunately we have threads like yours.

If it can't be done properly, they shouldn't bother at all to begin with. Every time bt fumbles a purely wc-oriented case review, there's an outburst from the community.

17. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

tbh if i had the comonents and i was asked for a review, id install w/c comonents even if its just as a mockup
    id be happy to do it if bit tech need an extra hand. ;)

18. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

I hate the way that watercooling seems to necessitate big. What happened to the times of old when a case could be good at watercooling without simply being titanic?

19. the_kille4

the_kille4 Chaos will rule da world.eventually

That would be my main gaming pc case for uni... PERFECT! it will be my main since it is heavy. it will go well with the overclocked ivy bridge processors that I am planning

20. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

"In the next issue of Custom 4x4, Britain's premier 4x4 Off-Road Vehicle customisation and modding magazine, we'll be testing the best off road vehicles on the M4 up and down from Bristol to Reading.

This way you can see how well it handles off road."

Le sigh.

Tags: Add Tags