1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 16 Jul 2011.

1. IT Troll

IT Troll What's a Dremel?

For some reason bit-tech / Custom PC do not like mechanical keyboards. Last time they reviewed one, the Filco Majestouch, they gave it 50% marking it down for being noisey and not have any features. I guess some people appreciate quality whilst others go for gimmicks. For people who really know their keyboards take a visit to geekhack.

2. IT Troll

IT Troll What's a Dremel?

Although the Razer is mostly 2KRO it has a gaming optimised matrix on the WASD and ESDF clusters. This means you can press any four keys from these clusters plus two other keys from elsewhere.

3. the_kille4

the_kille4 Chaos will rule da world.eventually

well when I went to the store my options were limited since the only mechanical they had with back light was blackwidow.

Well the 2KRO part depends on how you use your keyboard and I don't really have hitches with using it currently.

here is the geekhack review
    http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:13224
    so according to them, NKRO keyboards are less likely to have back-lighting (which for me is important) and more expensive. considering that and since razer did try to make a more "mainstream" gaming keyboard ... it is a great keyboard

4. FvD

FvD What's a Dremel?

rickysio & IT Troll

Thank you for clearing that up.
    2-KRO is pretty bad...
    And I have no problems gaming on MXBlues, and I like the tactile click while typing.
    Browns would be nice on a "gimmicky" keyboard designed for gaming though, but I assume companies would push the "clicky" MXBlues to distinguish the board as mechanical. (as done with this one?)

But it seems like no manufacturer wants to produce a nice & _quality_ mechanical keyboard with some gimmicks like macro keys...
    Remember the DAS version, where the FN key replaced the left win key? (crippled key combos)
    But when they do... I'm betting on at least 150 bucks a piece. (assuming no ghosting & 6-KRO)

5. djdode

djdode What's a Dremel?

I don't fully agree with the review too. I think BT just try to cover all the details around it. Got the same opinion when I got it but I'm loving after using it. I'm pretty satisfied with everything. If you simply din't like blue, you can disable it and it'll be always black. Noisy keys? really? Do you claim about the noise of a Ferrari engine? This is an enthusiast piece of gadget. Don't expect it to be exactly as an old-school Logitech.

6. the_kille4

and that makes the key board less and less mainstream which I don't think Razer wants to do. but then one can also blame the dudes who pushed the membrane based keyboards since they are cheaper.

7. FvD

FvD What's a Dremel?

But, assuming good care, mechanical boards easily outlast their rubber dome (membrane) counterparts.
    There is potential to save money in the long run, but that is not compatible with todays mainstream "throwaway society": buy cheap, buy plenty/often. It Keeps investors happy.

8. Rofl_Waffle

Rofl_Waffle What's a Dremel?

I have the keyboard and it isn't nearly as bad as what the review makes it out to be. Just a very pessimistic review and half the point doesn't even matter.

The unconventional font for the keys is just personal preference. I don't mind.

The shift symbols being labeled under the main keys is more or less preference as well. I don't care since it is pretty obvious that you must press shift for symbols such as @ and underscore and +.

I guess you can be confused by if you are still learning how to use a keyboard. Hammering away with your index fingers and looking to make sure you hit every single key right. But honestly, a keyboard priced so high, how much of the customer base fits that description.

Now for the coating, I actually prefer it over to simple hard plastic. The slight rubber coating isn't too grippy and isn't too smooth. It is more durable and doesn't get smoothed over into flat unrecognisable keys within several months of use. Personal preference really.

The backlight being only blue..... sim sorry but only someone who knows nothing about mechanical keyboards would complain about that. Due to it being mechanicaly, it doesn't have a membrane to diffuse light into each key so each key must be individually lit. Its not possible to fit multiple LEDs in each key, thats why mechanical keyboards only come in one color backlight or no backlight at all. Its not a feature that was excluded from the keyboard, rather its a feature you really shouldn't expect to have at all.

Same with the sound, you can't go shopping for mechanical keyboards and expect them to be super quiet.

Membrane keyboards don't get really bad reviews because their keys aren't mechanical, so why should a mechanical keyboard loose so much point in the review for not being membrane.

All in all, I find the Black Widow to be a great keyboard if you want a backlit mechanical keyboard. The only thing missing is PS2 but having only 6KRO isn't that much of a downer.

9. the_kille4

I do love the coating but I just hope it lasts long though since the letters are just laser engraved so once the coating starts to come off the keys become illegible.

If you wanted a "different" color for the keys you can always buy the Dragon Age II edition like I have. I prefer red because visually it is less striking than the blue. But this is also down to preference.

10. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

I've had mine since they released it, the coating is wearing off a bit, but the key symbols are not.

Wow, their review makes BT's look like a complete joke.

Last edited: 17 Jul 2011
  11. KiNETiK

KiNETiK What's a Dremel?

Agreed

12. bobwya

bobwya Custom PC Migrant

Yeh nice site and a very detailed review. Shame the BT ""review"" felt like a bit like a chat down the pub. You'd get away with that for 5.00 GBP PS/2 keyboard - not a >100.00 GBP keyboard. People want detail - not waffle - for that size of outlay!

I've taken apart my Razar Tarantula keyboard. There is just a ZX Spectrum keyboard hiding under there... For anyone typing a lot I can see the appeal of an expensive mechanical keyboard...

13. Kaiwan

Kaiwan Shinigami

That's a much more in depth review.

I was really put off by BTs review now I'm undeceided again.

14. uz1_l0v3r

uz1_l0v3r What's a Dremel?

Yes, how stupid someone must be to not understand that...

15. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

+1. I picked up the 6GV2 when it was released and it is the best keyboard I have ever owned. I bottom out the keys slightly, but I have heavy hands and since I don't program or spend all day on forums I don't care if I get a little noise. I quite like it actually as it reminds me of the days of hacking around on the Commodore 64 as a kid and the heavy keyboards of my youth. I would have liked some backlit keys as well, but I detest blue and DECK will never make a scandinavian layout. Filco wasn't available with my layout when the G was introduced, so I picked that up as it was also less expensive.

I haven't looked back and won't go back to membranes again.

16. SolidShot

SolidShot Minimodder

i have a £3.95 keyboard, and it works just fine. Anyone who pays over £25 for a keyboard clearly isnt getting laid enough...

17. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

I program all day, I love the noise/feel

18. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

What a fail keyboard... Removing the pipe/slash key between Enter and Backspace what where they thinking? Laptop like keyboards is also fail. Especialy for 'lefties' like me, i really can't get used to wasd, it is totaly confusing for me. Not to mention the spacing between keys is to small for my fingers.

19. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

The reviewed one is the UK layout mate. We put the \, @ and # in the right places :p The regular US edition has the layout you're more familiar with.

Owing to the number of keyboards I've been through in the last few years I've been considering a mechanical one for a while now. Looks like this one isn't it though, much as I rather like Razer kit generally it just looks wrong to me (font, shape, everything really) and I want something smaller rather than larger for my desktop. Oh well, guess I keep looking then!

20. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

What bothered me was the ONE tiny picture in the mag review. One picture and a small one a that. Guys if ya gonna take the time to review something please give us decent shots of the damn thing. I already feel like I've read half the mag by the time it arrives. I'm feeling more and more that I should just read the reviews here rather than buying the mag. Would save me £40 a year that's for sure!

Tags: Add Tags