1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other HELP! I am having issues with my laptop

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Webby63, 17 Jul 2011.

1. Webby63

Webby63 What's a Dremel?

Hi guys, this is the first time I have used the forums properly so please let me know if I have done something wrong :D

Ok the problem is that the track pad on my laptop has suddenly stopped working. I think it is due to a windows update, were I had a normal mouse plugged in while the update installed, not sure though. The laptop is a HP DM3-1155ea. The track pad is not showing up in device manager and none of the multi-touch features show up in the mouse control panel.

I am beginning to wonder if it is a hardware issue as the button to disable the track pad doesn't do anything when pressed.

Things I have tried:
    - System restore [won't run! just gets stuck mid restore]
    - msconfig [to check that drivers are loading]
    - Re-installing track pad drivers [didn't work]

I have done some intensive googling but I can't find anyone with the same problem. Your help would be greatly valued as I need it for my A-levels. The machine is still under warranty, however I don't really want to take it back to PC world as who knows what the creeps there will do to it, probably re-install windows deleting my software. Any further questions please ask, and as I said before your help would be greatly valued. Thanks.

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I think you can select to turn off the touchpad if an external mouse is detected which might be the problem!

Have a look in control panel under the mouse option and see what you can find.

3. Webby63

Webby63 What's a Dremel?

No sorry just check there is no such feature, but thanks for your input anyway.

4. mrdanie

mrdanie What's a Dremel?

I used to get lots of problems with a generic novatech laptop i used to have and i've tested laptops where the trackpad has stopped working after an update or a factory restore. Usually updates will over write a driver with something it thinks is better or newer but infact it only causes problems, this happens a lot ive found with network drivers. Have you got the disc that came with it? try chipset drivers off that or rolling back the driver through device manager?

Edit is there a FN button to turn it on and off other than a main trackpad switch? i have seen both before. Perhaps an option in the bios?

5. Webby63

Webby63 What's a Dremel?

Hi, thanks for your input, it didn't work though :(. There was no such option in the bios and my laptop came without a disk so I downloaded the drivers and reinstalled them, unfortunately no luck there it still doesn’t do anything. I will be contacting HP and Microsoft support but I am doubtful that they can do anything having learnt from prior experiences. Once again many thanks

6. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

What's the make and model of the laptop?

7. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

I know, it may of been mentioned, I can't be bothered to read at the moment.

We have problems with Tablets which do it, the only fix so far which we have is turning it off and on using the Fn button function thingy.

8. Webby63

Webby63 What's a Dremel?

My laptop is a HP dm3-1155ea, thanks :D

9. Webby63

Webby63 What's a Dremel?

Hi thanks for you responce, the trackpad on off button "function thingy" just doesn't do anything when pressed. The little light next to it doesn't change colour like it should. This coupled with the fact that I can't see it in device manager makes me wonder if its a hardware issue. Thanks for the input though :D

10. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

the cable may have become disconnected, find the instruction to remove keyboard, and check.

you may have to take keyboard top cover off as well to check cable to mousepad

11. Webby63

Webby63 What's a Dremel?

That sounds like a brilliant idea, although it is still under warranty so I think that I will let PC World do that for me. Thanks anyway though :D