1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Can anyone Recommend a hard drive data recovery company?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shifty27, 17 Jul 2011.

1. shifty27

shifty27 What's a Dremel?

Baiscally I have a 500gb drive that was in a caddy, dropped it and now it makes the head clicking noise. Tried it internally a couple of times but wont show up in OS so I need a company to recover it for me.

Anyone used a company in England they can recommend that doesn't cost more than say £400???

Thanks

2. Bozwell

Bozwell What's a Dremel?

Data recovery when the hardware is damaged is always expensive, and not always successful. In fact £400 sounds pretty good for this type of service. Unless it is company data that is worth a lot of money it's unlikely to be worth recovering.

Sometimes a clicking drive is because of damage to the internal parts, and sometimes damage to the circuit board. If you are lucky it's the board as then you'd be able to find another drive of exactly the same model and swap the boards over. Although when damaged by dropping, it is usually not the board.

3. shifty27

thanks but I already knew most of what you replied.

Just wanted to know if anyone here on the forums has used a physical data recovery service (opening the drive up in a lab) in England for less than say £500.....

4. decebal_12000

decebal_12000 Minimodder

I do not think is a price less then £500. Once I needed and the cheapest ones was £800.

5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I suggest trying the 'freezer method', as I've seen this work on a couple of drives. Just pop the drive in a sealed bag and pop it in the freezer over night. Then magically, they sometimes work...

Failing that Ontrack are a recovery company my old work used to use, but I can't remeber the prices (they weren't cheap) :)

6. shifty27

Thanks for everyones replies.

7. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Unless its seriously valuable data and you have lots of cash its gone buddy.

Worked for a company in my youth where the MD had all his important docs on a lappy (id told him that was a very risky idea)

Drive went poof and so did a couple of grand of his money getting it back ;)

8. SolidShot

SolidShot Minimodder