1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New 1.4ghz keeps locking up, HEEELP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jiffey, 5 Jan 2002.

1. Jiffey

Jiffey What's a Dremel?

Alright, I got it in about an hour or so ago. First boot, ran fine for a while (ran 3dmark, left, then came back) and it was frozen. I'm using an alpha heatsink and the temp on the CPU is around 40C, system is around 26C. My specs:

T-bird 1.4ghz /266fsb
    KT7A-Raid
    ATi Radeon 8500 retail
    4in1 version 4.36
    SBLive! X-gamer
    512mb ram
    PCI Latency patch from Via

Is there a new bios that fixes this? Do I need to re-install WinMe? What are the possible reasons for the locking up? It only lasts about 3min in windows before it does.

*UPDATE* I checked Abit's site, and it says "Users experiencing occasional lockups with 1200(133), 1300(133), and 1400(133) processors should upgrade to 3R bios" I'm running 4A (or should be...) and that's above 3R...what's the deal?

Last edited: 5 Jan 2002
  2. squishedhog

squishedhog What's a Dremel?

Try underclocking the CPU... if it locks still then it's more than likely a windows problem.

Your bios version will be displayed on the POST screen, you might want to flash to the latest version to be on the safe side like, but it shouldn't make that much difference...

Try shutting off onboard sound or lan, or anything that's on the board and is using resources.

What memory you got? it might be running CAS2 instead of 2.5 or 2.5 instead of 3.

40oC seems hot for a 1.4 with a decent cooler on, mine only gets to 40oC after about five hours of constant 100% use. However that is with 5x 80mm fans (as per sig + one unnamed oem one).

My board is the KT266 chipset, and it's never had a latency patch applied, I'll be getting the Pro2-RU KT266A based board soon, but I don't see what the 266 and 266A would change to cause catastrophic lockups like that. I'm also not running 4-in-1's at all, running XP Pro too.

Run MSCONFIG and disable scanregw /autorun and anything else except systray etc.

Just looking there, it might be a conflict with the SBLive!, esp if you haven't disabled onboard sound in the BIOS. Is your VGA Boot from set to AGP? is the AGP aperture 1/4 size of your RAM (ie 128mb)...

Does it lock in safe mode? or just protected mode... To help any more I'll need a lot more information, what it does - exactly what happens (ie full mouse lock or just explorer and system lock) and so on...

That should give you a bit to go on for now like!
    Dave

3. RTT

RTT #parp

i'd underclock as has already been suggested, see if it helps.

try PCI slot 4 for the sblive

i'll post more ideas after some sleep :eek:

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

int all 1.4 tbirds factory unlocked anyway? mine is!?

try using 4.37 VIAs as they are better then 4.36s and up the voltage to 1.80/1.85.

5. Jiffey

Jiffey What's a Dremel?

It seems it's fixed now, all I changed was moving the sblive to slot 4 and reset my swap file to let windows mess with it.