1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows 7 smartphone announced

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 21 Jul 2011.

1. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

charged my one monday night. just over 50% when i was using it this morning. :rock:

ARM is where it's at. Intel is history. :D

2. Webby63

Webby63 What's a Dremel?

I seem remember reading a similar article a couple of years ago about an XP smartphone... wonderful idea, but won't catch on... not intil it can run crysis any way :D

3. Roskoken

Roskoken What's a Dremel?

If it can run Utorrent, VLC Player and extract rars then this will be a phone i will buy.

If it doesnt i dont really understand "smart" phones. I bought a phone from Tesco for a tenner, it can send text messages and phone people aswell.

4. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

Any decent smartphone has been able to do more a less that for ages.

5. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

very interested... too bad we won't see these in the states for some time.. we're always behind Japan (and most places) in phone tech it seems :-/

6. Roskoken

Really?

Android struggles at the best of times, even flashed with a custom ROM its still a bit meh. I know there was a utorrent remote, but really, who gives a f**k. But all 3, working together in conjunction?. What OS is this you speak off?

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

'Cause we really need to be able to uTorrent and exctract .RARs from our mobile phone. I mean, not a day goes by that I curse the heavens for my smartphone not being able to do so... :rolleyes:

8. Roskoken

Well man, if it cant do such a simple thing as to rip media from any particular source while you are mobile and away from your computer. Whats the point to it?

A 500 quid phone for to use a facebook app?, lol rightyho then.

9. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

My technophobic dad makes the same complaint about cell phones as a whole, so surely you don't need a smartphone. :rolleyes:

Roskoken apparently has a use for torrenting, extracting archives and playing media (likely what he just downloaded and extracted), what's wrong with him waiting until there's a phone that offers that?

10. PCBuilderSven

PCBuilderSven Minimodder

Just iPad and the full range of Nokia phones (maybe with some exceptions).

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

device specific tasks.

smartphone is for consume information and communication. surely you could offload those tasks to an AC powered NAS box that is built for storage and providing service. computer is built for jack of all trades which is what makes them so clumsy to use.

im all for task specific devices. got my NAS storing things, got my computer for gaming and videos, got my tablet for internet browsing and phone for mobile communication.

12. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

Is that atom chip the one that intel promised would be in smartphones this year? If so that 2 hour batterylife (when in windows 7 mode) is shocking.

I actually see potential in a device like this but not now and not like this. As windows 8 supports ARM and has a more touch friendly UI it really does have potential in a phone.
    Say if Microsoft make it possible to run WP7 as the phone OS but at anytime you can switch to a full windows 8 experience. Killer feature! I would leave Android for that.
    As windows 8 isn't due till late next year we are looking at A15 quadcore chips, ie fast enough for a good experience.

Now we just need every single game on steam too be converted to run on ARM. Get on it developers, leave no game behind!

13. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

been waiting for this. WANT!

Imagine being able to not have to carry your laptop around, and still have your fully functioning PC. Ring Customer on phone, drive to customers using phone for GPS directions, turn up and do presentation on phone, then enter the contract details on the phone, then take the order on your phone. No external hardwares to provide, just using your existing hardware setup. Also, not having to lease laptops AND phones.

There's defintiely a market for this. That is why RIM are what they are today IMHO! For the business user this could be the Apple killer....

14. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Wonder how much storage there is on the phone...

15. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

16. mrdanie

mrdanie What's a Dremel?

Used apple, android 2.2 and now gingerbread, windows mp7 and windows 6.5. I actually prefer 6.5 to 7, it just feels more techy and advanced, wmp7 is a bit simple, more like the apple os. With the battery life being so short i don't see this doing too well, it will of course appeal to some. But i still prefer android, has the balance of being simple yet with a bit more..

Tags: Add Tags