1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Jestercon - Update #8 (Mar24th - Some Disasters and some progress)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Blooddrunken, 5 Jul 2010.

1. LooseNeutral

LooseNeutral What's a Dremel?

DOH!:blush:
    1000 grit sanding would produce a much better result for you. More work but worth it. :thumb:

2. Blooddrunken

Blooddrunken In Flames we Trust

Thanks Kojak. :thumb:

Thanks Razarach. I'll keep updating, for sure. ;)

Yeah I think so too and will try it soon. Thanks :)

3. Blooddrunken

Some disasters and some progress

I haven’t done as much as I wanted, but due to shred hands while sanding the front fins and some disasters, it wasn’t quite possible to do it. :|
    But I also had some luck on eBay and got a 360 XSPC radiator for 15€ and an Aqua-Computer Cuplex XT di² for Socket 1156/1366 for 16€.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I bought some stuff for the watercooling too:
    12 G1/4 13/10mm 45° Black Nickel connectors
    2 G1/4 13/10mm 90° Black Nickel connectors
    2 G1/4 13/10mm Black Nickel connectors
    5m of Black Primochill Primoflex Pro 13/10mm Tubing
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With 2 of the 45° connectors and a little piece of the tubing I did a leak check with the front res and it was successful. :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This weekend I started with the inner res and sanded and polished the inner jesterhead.
    It worked quite well and the result was nice. :)
    [​IMG]

Yesterday I glued the 3 sheets of jesterhead res together and here the disasters started. :/
    I cleaned up both surfaces and put some glue to the surface. After that I distributed the glue with an old piece of Plexiglas over the complete surface to have a clean bubble free glue layer. While putting he first two pieces together I saw that the glue flew into the middle - I could rescue the middle. After that I put 6 full 1,5l bottles of water on the res to help against bubbles in the glue layer.
    After 90mins I lifted the bottles and while verify the glue I saw that I had a lot of bubbles in the glue surface.
    I said to myself “I cannot rescue it anymore, so let’s try the 3rd layer of the res and hope this is better and maybe it’s only a visual error, but no functional”. So I cleaned the surfaces again, applied the glue and distributed it again – now with more precision. But this didn’t help either. :/
    Today I did the leak check, but it failed dramatically. :wallbash:
    First I put a stopper into the lower connection hole and let water flow in. I think the hole and the tap for the connection wasn’t that clean, but it leaked.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After that I put the stopper into the upper connection hole and redid the test. The tap now was save, but the gluing was so bad that it leaked through them. :(
    So I cannot use this anymore and I will have to redo it.
    Does anyone has a good tip how I can better glue the huge pieces together?

Today I wanted to do the back plate for the inner parts out of aluminum. You can already read that it wasn’t successful too. ;(
    I marked the lines where I had to cut…
    [​IMG]

…and cut it out.
    [​IMG]

It was successful so far. :)
    Then I scratched the bending marks a few times and wanted to bend it, but the alu was still too strong and so it was more a round bend instead of a 90° bend:
    [​IMG]

I think I will buy some less strong alu (2mm aren’t the right for this piece I think) 0,5mm or at max 1mm and will redo it.

To end this update with something positive I repealed the rad fan holder which I did on Friday for the end.
    First I marked the mounting holes of the rad on paper.
    [​IMG]

Afterwards I did the other markings.
    [​IMG]

Then I cut it out with a jigsaw.
    [​IMG]

I also bought 3 Cooler Master Sickle Flow for this build and they’re on their way to me.
    [​IMG]

Then I can do a fitting test with the fans and the rad and then I will decide if I will paint it black or will polish it.

Comments & critics are welcome. Cheers ;)

4. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

To be honest the bend you got from 2mm thick sheet alu is pretty damn good for without a bender :).
    For bending aluminium even with 1.5mm I got inaccurate results on my cheap £40 sheet metal folder, I have to stick with no more than 1mm thick for accurate results, 0.5mm would be very very easy to do precise bends but is pretty weak & could easily deform while cutting, it's a shame as your marking, cutting & smoothing skills are clearly all there but decent capacity sheet metal benders are expensive.
    Anyway if your getting results like that with 2mm thick I think you'll get excellent results from 1mm thick :thumb:.
    I've no experience on res making yet so can't help on that.

5. LooseNeutral

LooseNeutral What's a Dremel?

You might look up Cheapskate on his "Bloo Balls" log for advise on the plex. Or ask Epic PC, I think there's a new log here! :D

6. Blooddrunken

Thanks guys. :)

Today I bought some 0,8mm alu and will try it with it hopefully with a bit more luck. :D

7. MariusOX

MariusOX n00b modder...

Dead?

No new updates since Sep?:O

8. Blooddrunken

Update time

Hi all,

first of all I want to say sorry for the delay of updates on this build. The delay was caused, by playing to much games within the week, having to less time on weekends and being busy at work.

But I finished a lot over the last months were I did every now and then a little bit.

First I redid the aluminum sheet to hold the Res and the bottom midplate. With the thinner strength the bending went without any problems, but afterwards while polishing it I think I used way too much polishing paste, so I was polishing and polishing, but a bit of the paste still remained.
    So I bought a 3rd time an aluminum sheet for the midplate, now in 1mm strength and din't polished the plate afterward. I thought using a foil would work either and result in a good looking way.
    It was nearly that.^^ While adding the foil a few small air pockets stayed, but most of them will not be visible.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I did another Test with the inner res after the first one failed.
    I took a piece of 10mm Plexiglas cut a center hole with the jigsaw into it and glued to the bottom plate. Through this way I would be able to add more glue to the crossing passage if needed.
    On top of the middle plate I added a string of silicon as O-Ring added holes to the top and middle/bottom part, taped the bottom part and screwed them together. This test was successful, so I' ve done the same with a new main inner res.
    This was leakproof now too, so I could continue
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (I'm sorry, but I don't have an actual picture of the complete res – only in a build in status). If I will dismantle the build I will take some pics of the res too)

As the res was now only a square I added a aluminum sheet with a cut out jesterhead to illuminate the jesterhead res shape.
    [​IMG]

I also redid the mounting plate for the fans and the radiator as the old wasn't accurate too and I had problems mounting the fans and the radiator to it.
    [​IMG]

Furthermore I redid the Power Supply mounting plate
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and the bottom middle plate. As I didn't got any further with the old middle plate I thought of a more simple way to do this and I ended with with this:
    A 10mm Plexiglas plate with black foil and a cut out In Flames Logo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (here you can see it lighten by a red LED flex bar)

Later on I polished the front holes, the borders of the mainpart of the case and first 2 Front Fins and glued them in position.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've also installed the pump
    [​IMG]

The last step I did I think 2 weeks ago was assemble the case to be ready to the leak test.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At the moment I'm stuck at this point. I'll do the next few days the leak test and will also grind and polish a few more front fins.

There are some, if not many :/, imperfections, but at the moment I'm able to eliminate them and as most of them are only visible when you take a close look at it it's ok I think. I'm happy with the result for the possibilities I have in my kitchen. :)

Sorry again for the delay, but better late then never I hope.

Cheers for looking in.

9. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Awesome!

Good to have you back on track.

10. Marcos_Viegas

Marcos_Viegas Minimodder

Really awesome update man! :thumb:

Your case is great! :jawdrop:

Congratulations!

11. Blooddrunken

Thanks buddy :)

Thanks bro - I'm glad you like it. :thumb:

12. haakon.t

haakon.t :)

Goddamn perfection!

13. Stem83

Stem83 Addicted to modding.

This is going well, glad to see you stuck at it after your mistakes and got it right second time!
    Shame I wasnt on here before you brought some thinner ali as you could have corrected the bends with 2 block of wood and a hammer.

Really coming on well.. keep on it to the finish.

14. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D +1 :)

15. Blooddrunken

Thanks haakon. :rock:

Thanks. Yeah I tried it with 2 blocks of wood and a hammer, but it didn't worked well, but the thinner ali is working well, so no problem. :)

Thanks Bro. :blush:

Here are two little teaser:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

An extra top up on the awesomeness wouldn't hurt & the sleeving will provide that cherry on the top :hehe::D:thumb:.
    Not sure what the polished Jesterhead piece is for but thats what teasers are for :D looks nicely polished :).

17. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

Alright, while the color scheme isn't exactly my thing, the style of music isn't my taste and I typically don't like intense red lighting... I must say, this is pretty freakin' awesome. Execution and workmanship is starting to really show through mate, and you just might turn me into a believer yet!

Keep up the good work mate :thumb:

18. robi09

robi09 What's a Dremel?

Wait for the next update!

Good job! ;)

19. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Yeah, epic thread revival! :rock:

Whatever happened to the build?

20. BOBDBONE

BOBDBONE Owner at BS Mods

Really looking good.

The name in red looks really cool. Good job!