1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project "The Core" - PLEASE REMOVE THIS POST

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Sozialcyke, 8 Mar 2003.

1. Sozialcyke

Sozialcyke What's a Dremel?

Please remove this post. I need to give the project a couple of days of thinking before I start up again. Also, this post is sort of dead, so just remove it and I'll start a new one.

Last edited: 2 Apr 2003
  2. Madyeti

Madyeti Supermodder & sig shrinking victim

It's definately amBITious, but a very sweet idea. I like the idea of the water "shell." As for your questions, I have no idea :( sorry man. I'll be watching this log though, great idea so far! ~Davy

//edit

What about very large drainage pipes (Probably made of PVC) that could be used as a mold?

3. Sozialcyke

I've thought of that. The largest I could find at various retail hardware stores is 6in, and I need like 10in. Will start going for wholesalers next...

4. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

Very good idea should look really cool if you can pull it off :cooldude:

Best of luck :clap:

5. Spoonman

Spoonman What's a Dremel?

Well I just measured my trashcan (one of those small cycliner ones that are often found with sports teams logos), and the inner diameter is about 250mm. My only other thought would be a 5 gallon bucket?

6. Moreland

Moreland banned

cool idea, i would be intrested to see if you get this water fx working.

7. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

Very large... larger than my PC-70 in fact.
    Nice idea, I would probably prefer to see it in SFF :D
    You could have a tube in the lower section with holes to produce bubbles and an inlet tube at the top to intake the air, which would keep the whole thing sealed :)

8. daydreamingknight

daydreamingknight What's a Dremel?

Very cool idea! Hope it works out well!!

DDK

9. Sozialcyke

n00b question: SFF? :worried:

As far as the casing goes, I have a slightly different idea :idea:. I'll post some pics once I have a pseudo-working pieces on how to make this friggin huge case. It will probably be on Tue/Wed, so look for another update.

Question though, and I'll post this in the modding section also, but who's the best/least expensive resin supplier/producer? I need to make about 3-5 molds and then need an a** load of resin for casting. Any suggestions? :confused:

10. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

Sorry... SFF = Small Form Factor

[​IMG]

11. Sozialcyke

Well, I would go that route, but I just purchased an Asus A7N8x Deluxe, that doesn't work =\ Perhaps I will got with a SFF mobo. Have a recomendation for one?

12. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

Will it be watercooled :)

That would be cool if you could get a pump with enough whallop to really get the water spinning, a bit like :: Kna ::'s vortex, but on its side.

13. Philot

Philot What's a Dremel?

re: casting forms

Housing contractors have HUGE cardboard cylinders that they use when casting concrete piers and foundations. You might be able to track down some of those. They might result in a spiral seam in your casting, though.

14. That would be so sweet. Maybe add some leds for added effect.

15. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

That's a really NEW case!!! Hope you can manage to work at it...

Good luck! :rock:

GeeK!

16. Sky Hacker

Sky Hacker What's a Dremel?

Great idea... add some UV dye and some fine saprkles. that would look cool too

17. Sozialcyke

Well, went out today and bought some more supplies. Here's my idea on how to get the cylinder's out of acrylic.

Use a couple of sheets of styrofoam board to build a section of the cylinder by cutting a circle, or part of a circle, out of the styrofoam. Glue multiple sheets together to get a guide. Then, using a small piece of acrylic and a heat gun, bend the acrylic to the radius of the cylinder.

After you have the acrylic bent to shape, cut a shape out of it that you can then duplicate using resin casting. The pieces, when fitted together, will form the cylinder :D

What do you guys think? I thinking about making the cylinder pieces more artisitc. Sort of Escher-esque.

In the end, I think this is going to turn into a VERy expensive project, since this will be my first case mod. For example, today I had to go buy a heat gun and some spring clamps (To hold the styrofoam together), since I have like 0 tools. Got my dremel, of course. What would modding be without a dremel.

I'm not sure if I'll have time to work on my project today.

QUESTION: Does anyone know the best way to cut styrofoam to get a nice, clean edge? It doesn't matter too much. I was thinking if the cut turns out like sh*t, I can always cover it with a piece of poster board to get a nice smooth surface to check the acrylic against.

18. Green Soda

Green Soda What's a Dremel?

Try getting a string or wire hot (run lots of Volts through a 24gauge wire, JK JK!!), an then use that to cut it. Dont do the electricity thing, but maybe a small torch, or a soldering iron/gun at one/both ends. That will make a nice line. Good Luck on the case!

Edit: Sometimes you can get one of these pre-made at a hobby shop, but whats the fun in that!!

19. Shadow6363

Shadow6363 What's a Dremel?

hmm, i havent any idea on how u would do this, but i believe u said u were going to run led's around the circle, maybe u could wire those to some sort of circuit wired to ur hdd monitor, and make it so that the more ur hdd is working, teh faster they spin, and the less work, the slower they spin. dont know if any of that makes sense, but it sounded cool in my head

20. Sozialcyke

Shadow, actually, what I'm planning on doing is having EL wire running around the circumfrance of the outer cylinder so that HDD activity is shown with them. Sort of like what you are thinking, but instead of spinning, it goes up and down the cylinder.