1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News SilverStone explains why the TJ11 is so expensive

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 25 Jul 2011.

1. xioros

xioros What's a Dremel?

2. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

My thoughts exactly. I'm sorry but the TJ07 is actually nicer and alot cheaper.
    It's just gonna get dremeled anwyay :p

3. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

I call shenanigans!

Nice link to the Vapochill rig. I remember my XE II unit all too well....

The pricing is simply a supply and demand thing.

If you don't buy, they will be forced to reduce their costs and in turn do their job better. Why should the consumer subsidize lazy manufacturing....?

The analogy of 50 to 5 is irrelevant because the TJ07 was at the end of it's life cycle, and has been optimised as this is where THEY have chosen to invest.

This item has been priced to make them money, which in the current clime is somewhat insensitive, but a valid and well practised tactic.

£500 for an ali case is ridiculous though. At least they haven't said "it's the price of aluminium" which is a standard response.

4. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

A business makes a product and then sells it to make a profit, and you call this insensitive?

What do you suggest they do?

5. karx11erx

karx11erx What's a Dremel?

Well, nobody has to buy it, right?

6. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Well, clearly they don't sell them enough, if they whine about people whining about price :).

7. Tattysnuc

I'd suggest that they do market research, and what price the average joe is willing to pay for a case. Double the market value is clearly outrageous when talking about premiumising a product. Look at Corsair fro example. They launched a premium case range with the Obsidian series, and they come in at £200 give or take, WITH hot swap facilities. Lian Li are the nearest other competitor in that market IMNSHO and their top models are just over the £200 mark for their top limited edition cases...

This move prices them out of the mass market and turns them back into a low volume high premium manufacturer. There's a market, but I for one certainly am not going to be party to their consumer mugging.

8. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

THIS.
    Just because you linked to your review with the price in it doesn't mean we all should have to go click on it to read what should have been in the article in the first place.

9. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

The TJ11 is not marketed towards 'Average Joe' and although I am not privy to sales figures I would be willing to bet it is hitting targets. Christ, even the TJ07 wasn't aimed at Average Joe.

And where do you get the £200 price tag for Lian Li's?

Some examples

X500 £250.78
    X1000 £275.98
    B71b £287.96
    P80b £292.76
    X900b £335.03
    X2000 £357.25
    X900r £359.99
    A77FR £383.96
    2120x £399.97
    X2000FB £400.39

This case is not marketed at people like you.

I suggest you do some research before you make wild assumptions.

I think even Lian Li can see a market for high end ultra expensive cases.

10. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

So Silverstone puts 20% premium over the other most expensive highend case (X2000FB) and you say they have their pricing right ?

And about hitting targets - do you really think this news post would be there if they would be "hitting their targets" ? It is clear that they are not satisfied with the number of sales, otherwise they wouldn't complain about users complaining about the price.

11. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Yes

Yes, unless you can show me the sales and target figures of the TJ11?

12. Tattysnuc

I think you've just substantiated my point. They are even more expensive than the most expensive EQUIVALENT model, which is a mark up of 25% over the markets most expensive comparator.

Even bespoke build Little Devil are cheaper than that, imported from Lithuania or somewhere (or now from Specialtech.co.uk)

The only thing that makes these cases this expensive is the name Silverstone, and that is on this specific model. Other models of theirs are more expensive, but not priced this wide of the mark.

The "cost to produce" quote is misleading - the price they are charging has nothing to do with the cost which goes into producing the case, and likewise it has nothing to do with the "market value" as it is WAY outside of that. What was your point?

13. DBA

DBA I do my modding with a spoon

Good value is when a product for fills all your criteria, and does it at a low price compared to equal and near equal products!

This case has a downright bad value, since you can get a lot of cases with just about the same features and quality for a substantial lower price. You will have to lose one or two fearues, such as the 90 degree turned motherboard tray, but that won't justify the price difference.

There is a marked for it however, there will always be people who don't care about the price, and people who need a 90 degree turned motherboard tray, room for a shitload of radiators and 2 PSU, but it still won't make it good value.

14. kier

kier -----------------

I must say, the TJ11 is one of the finest cases I've mod. No drilling rivets, everything is with bolds/ screws
    and superb quality. when you mod a case, how many times do you dismantel and place back parts? with the TJ11 this is real easy to do.
    Ok it's a lot of money, but this case is certainly modders heaven

15. JohnSheridan

JohnSheridan What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't pay £400 either for it - quite happy with my £160 Coolermaster ATCS 840 thanks.

Fizzban likes this.
  16. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Coolermaster 690 II Advanced here. Happy with mine too.

17. mrseb

mrseb What's a Dremel?

Hi, is there a way I can contact the author of this story by email?

18. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

I would of thought that they generated costing before they manufactured it - so regardless of what they say about the cost and time, someone somewhere factored all this in and said "don't worry we'll sell thousands.

The issue is that there are better cases for less and better cases for around the same price.

In marketing terms they have exceeded the market value of a PC case with this product and therefore this will have an effect on unit sales, reagardless of them coming out crying 'we can;t make it any cheaper' because that being the situation, this case should not of been released.

Tags: Add Tags