1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mouse suggestions?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zinfandel, 15 Jul 2011.

1. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

So, I've never spent more than £5 on a mouse, don't hurt me!

So, ideally I don't want to spend more than £30. I'm not a hard core gamer, I game a bit but just a nice solid feel and something that wont break in two months is what I'm after.

I also prefer corded, don't like changing batteries every few days which has been my experience with cordless stuff!

Any suggestions?

2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Steelseries Ikari or the MX518.

I have both and the Steelseries Ikari Optical is a hell of a mouse. Just don't be afraid of changing the cable if it fails on you, the braided cable they give you is garbage.

As for the MX518, that thing is invincible.

3. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Logitech G500, G9x is what I would go and the customer service with this guys is also what sells their product.

If you going with someone else try the coolermaster storm

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I have a Microsoft Sidewinder X5 and I freaking love it!

5. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Yeah I've had one not bad at all the thing I did not like was the grip otherwise not bad.

6. Trance

Trance Two steps forward, one step back

I really like my CM Storm Inferno, very comfortable and all the buttons within easy reach.

7. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Yeah I looked at that. It's only £20ish and looks fantastic! I might end up with that one.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks, lot of mice out there!

EDIT: Oh it was the Sidewinder 2000 I looked at, I like the look of it.

8. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I've got the CM Storm Inferno - really nice & a massive jump up from generic mice. Very programmable too if you're into that sort of thing or just do like I've done - get it set up just like you want it & leave it (lazy...)

The only thing I have against it is that, for me, the back/forward browser buttons are exactly where my thumb rests and I press them by accident sometimes - not enough for me not to recommend it though (and it's only 59p over your budget here)

9. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

5 pounds mouses (or 5 to 8$ here.. mouses like that comes with Dell/HP/Acer/etc. computers)? Oh boy! Since I use 160$ mouse (Logitech MX Revolution), I can't use these peace of crap mouses... I want to destroy them (and I can, they are so cheap quality), with my hands. It's not comfortable, the sensor is garbage, the scroll wheel is stiff, the buttons are stiff...

Changing your mouse to your 30pounds will be night and day. You will seriously enjoy your mouse... even if you go a bit over budget. And the mouse will last a long time. If you use a lot your computer, it will make your computer experience so much more.

My suggestion is the Logitech Gaming Mouse G500, which feature Logitech hyper school wheel, where you can have your wheel spin freely, or switch to tic mode... but even in tic mode, scrolling is smooth and easy... making web surfing, item switching in games, and if you work with big documents or programming, or spreadsheets, etc.. a breeze to work with.

Plus, the extra buttons (configurable), make it provide in game item switching, or simply used as back and forward buttons when web surfing. Making your experience easier.

Plan B, is the G400, similar mouse, less features.

I like Logitech a lot, mainly because of their after sale warranty. Mouse broke? several month out of warranty? No bill? No worry! Here is a brand new retail box with everything inside, mouse of the same (or if discontinued, better or similar) mouse. Oh and they answer the phone really fast.

10. pac-man

pac-man What's a Dremel?

I've got the Logitech G5/mx518 (pretty much the same mouse) and I think they're good. Relatively comfortable and adjustable DPI on the fly. The mx518 can be had for under 30 quid too.

11. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

If you are prepared to stretch your budget a bit, what about a razor deathadder?

12. JBVsev

JBVsev What's a Dremel?

I'm a big fan of the Logitech G9x. The software you get with it is pretty good, it's comfortable, and the 2 different grips they give you are nice. The only issue the scroll wheel is absolutely garbage for middle clicking. But I used the software on it to make the left/right middle clicks (clicking to the left or right instead of down) do the same thing.

I've tried the RAT 5/7 (died on me after 3 months... liked it before that), and the Steelseries Xai and I feel like the G9x is the best one of the 3 (or four, but RAT 5 or 7 are basically the same).

Edit: Didn't realize you had a budget :( . Not sure what the prices of these are outside of NA so I'm not sure if this helps at all.

13. j.col

j.col Minimodder

dont forget how you grip a mouse can have a major affect on how comfortable it will feel.
    i have had mice that gave me finger ache, because they were too small.

[​IMG]

14. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

I'm very much a palm grip man!

15. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Then the logitech ones should do fine. But honestly I still highly recommend trying out the steelseries Ikari, the feet are fantastic and it's incredibly comfortable. It's a bit pricey though. G500 seems to be the best middle road, although I prefer using optical mice. Hence the mx518 and ikari optical.

16. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

G500 Cheesecake

17. happyhammer7

happyhammer7 What's a Dremel?

Got a G500 for around £27. Best mouse I have ever owned.

18. aka_jesse

aka_jesse What's a Dremel?

was just about to make a thread for exactly the same thing. good advice floating about here. anyone use any specific mouse mats though? at the minute i'm just using my mouse on the wooden desk, nice and smooth, but it's starting to get a little scratched!

19. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Artisan Shiden-Kai is an excellent mat.

20. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

MX518 is maybe not the most ergonomical but his captor is one hell of a good one. If you don't like the color, you can purchase his japanese cousin, the Logicool Mx518 (Same but Black).