1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Virgin Media shows off 1.5Gb/sec broadband connection

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 26 Jul 2011.

1. SASKing

SASKing What's a Dremel?

My street can't get Cable, there is an electified track running along side and National Rail won't allow them to cable under it. I have to make do with ADSL from Sky. I have a 20Mbit connection and get average download speeds of 2Mbits/s and a Ping of 25-30 on games. So not too bad,

2. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Unlimited, except when it isn't. What really chafes is it was properly unlimited at first.

They are pushing the fact you can download as much as you want, and that's great. But the majority of the time we don't download, we stream. It almost makes me want to get 100meg just to be rid of the poxy traffic shaping. But I just know it will be more hassle than I want to deal with right now.

It is a solid connection other than that, but this is an area they really need to rethink. If I get sucky latency or drop-outs/disconnects when SW:TOR ships, I will give them a rocket.

3. Canon

Canon Reformed

So when are they going to bother laying something decent in Belfast?, UKs 15th largest city and all we get is shitty leftovers.

4. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Traffic shaping applies to the 100Mb package too - in fact, all things considered, the 100Mb connection will just cause more problems.

From what I've read on the forums, the supplied 'Superhub' is an absolute disaster (however apparently the situation is improving after multiple firmware upgrades). Also it's worth noting that you have to use the Superhub with 100Mb as it's a combined cable modem and router.

5. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

I think they would be better off upgrading the current system aswell a we just got asdl 2 and before I had to wait for a YouTube video to load to watch it but now I can watch as soon as the webpage loads
    Surprising what difference stuff like that makes :)

6. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

I was grateful when I was only able to get 2mb/s, I'm over the moon now I get 4mb/s, all for a very reasonable monthly figure.

7. IonKnight

IonKnight What's a Dremel?

Guys please don't moan that ur connection is slow when ur on a 20meg connection think of the ppl like me who are on 1mb connection and i'm not in the countryside. So count urself lucky that u can even watch you tube without buffering the video. Also i'm guessing ur all aware but have u thought of formatting ur machine before u call ur ISP ur pc could be just full of spyware/malware cloging up ur internet connection.

Jamie likes this.
  8. SaNdCrAwLeR

SaNdCrAwLeR What's a Dremel?

only now UK? srsly?

9. Hypno

Hypno What's a Dremel?

The most annoying thing is that they spent around 6 months putting the pipes through my village a few years back but didn't install the cable ffs!

10. JohnSheridan

JohnSheridan What's a Dremel?

Not only countryside - I'm in Northampton (pop around 200k) and all I can get is just under 3mb/s

BT said they were doing FTTC in Dec 2011 but that has now slipped to March 2012 (if we're lucky!)

11. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

:jawdrop: I didn't realise 100meg got it too. I thought as their flagship model it would be free of restrictions. My mistake.

Yeah I have heard about the superhub, hence my opinion that upgrading would be more of a headache than I want to deal with. I'm also extremely aware that many on 50meg still don't get what they pay for. I had to hassle them a fair piece until they upgraded my line from street cab to house. I used to only get 37meg. Now I get the full bandwidth, and I am grateful for it considering the story's I witnessed while I frequented the forum and news group.

What amazed me was the technicians knowledge. I learned a fair old bit about the structure and what was expected. When I informed the techs about it they frowned and scratched their heads. I had to link them to pages that explained, before the penny dropped. Then they were like OH old on...let me phone up and.. But yeah, it ended in me getting a thicker copper cable to my house and an attenuator on the modem because the signal went from too weak to too strong..haha

12. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

Whoa thats fast. Why would anyone in a household need 1.5gig internet?!
    Granted you only have 1gig NICs in PCs anywho.
    And I thought our 7meg was quick and some of you are complaining about "poor" 20meg and 50meg packages in the UK lol.
    Yea I wish it was that fast in the USA. Atleast in FL where im at.

13. dolphin-promotions

dolphin-promotions What's a Dremel?

Its more for bragging rights but business users, multiple people in one house, IPTV etc may all benefit from it.

14. faceplant

faceplant What's a Dremel?

They can't sort the latency on their 50Mb & 100Mb services at the moment

Traffic management is abysmal and mistaking games for torrent traffic, staff are too stupid to sort it so they just use whitelists which are not up to date.

DOCSIS 3 protocol is crap, plus they left an important part of the firmware on the VMSH turned off which D3 needs.

Seriously, sort your current customer base first.

15. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

if you get an vpn that will bypass the thottling (free with giganews) or vpn UK for 5.99, I agree thought you should not have to use vpn to fix Vm/cisco issues with traffic man

the 50mb modem can do 100mb (most are setup in 3x51mb link mode but rate limited to 52mb) you can enable 100mb on them even if they say it will not, just tell them to enable it

16. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

They seem to struggle to provide 10 and 20 mb, never mind this bollocks.

17. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

I have their 50Mb service. No complaints here (well one minor grumble, their firmware updates are only available to a closed beta group but hopefully not for much longer)

18. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

right now I am perfectly happy on 24mb BE Internet. I dont currently need anything more. I can watch HD BBC iplayer streaming, download updates to my games in good time and general torrents I can wait, its not like it takes a week to download a 90 minute documentary via torrents. I would much rather them spend the money on making the infrastructure more stable and aid driving the costs of the service down.

Really, why does any normal person need any more than 50MB, let alone 1.5GB.
    Gaming requires good latency, which can be had on a simple 8meg line

19. SolidShot

SolidShot Minimodder

i live in winchester - if i get over 60 kps thats a good day....

20. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

I'd kill for 3mb/s...

Jamie likes this.
Tags: Add Tags