1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EA: '3D offers very poor returns'

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 29 Jul 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

3D hasn't taken off in 100 years, it's not going to take off now. best to invest in a good IPS screen than those gray TN's.

but social gaming? i hope EA doesn't ruin PopCap by forcing them down this road.

3. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

its too gimmicky atm, and who wants to spend thousands on a 3D telly when the proper ones that dont require huge glasses are on the way? I played killzone 3 on my mates 3D TV recently, its cool but rather uncomfortable to sit in front of for the hours required to play a game properly

4. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Its cause it costs too much. Why would I give up an IPS monitor to get spend quite a bit on a 22" TN panel? Or the insane costs of a 3D TV? Until 120Hz becomes standard and the glasses are free or removed completely hardware uptake will be the fail point.

5. Jaffo

Jaffo What's a Dremel?

In other news: Bear defecates in woods

6. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

I can't see some types of 3D, like 3D movies at the cinema but I can see the 3DS.

so for me, unless there all adopt nintendo's approach it is unless as i can't see the effect

7. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Sony will push 3D far more than any other company and will never say anything negative about it because they have a vested interest in selling TV's. EA gains nothing from people buying TV's so have to be more realistic regarding 3D. I would take sides with EA on this one, although developing for social media, yuck.

8. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

No ****, EA.
    Bit-tech members (and other techies worldwide) predicted this outcome 2 years ago.

Maybe now we can get back to real g........Oh. Social Gaming. Right. :rolleyes:

9. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

Makes me feel sick,
    I can just about sit through a 3D film and not vomit.
    3D gaming is totally out of the question for me.

10. Digibull

Digibull Stealth Geek

For me 3D gaming is called 'Paintball'.

11. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

It seems Nintendo think similarly, they're dropping the price of the 3DS and seem to be concentrating on releasing their back catalogue games to the DL store.

Linky

12. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

Yay for refocusing from something I did not really care about, to something I have no interest in.

13. Bede

Bede Minimodder

+1

14. Xir

Xir Modder

Many new TV's have a higher Hz rate, and are (therefore) 3D capable.
    People buy new TV's.
    Now one could argue this is connected...I don't.
    The real question is: do peole buy TV's BECAUSE of 3D or despite it (not using it)?

So EA decided to stop flogging a dead horse, and decide not to go back to their core business...but venture onto the "social games" market.
    Well it's probably more profitable in the short run anyway :D

15. Xir

Xir Modder

That's 4D...introducing "Pain" as a Dimension :D

16. benji2412

benji2412 <insert message here>

They might have cocked up with making BF3 Origin only.

BUT

They've got this right!

Well done EA, have a biscuit.

17. jhng

jhng What's a Dremel?

For one awful moment I thought they meant 3D in the Wolfenstein 3D sense...

18. kzinti1

kzinti1 What's a Dremel?

If 3D can be made so no glasses are required and it doesn't cause headaches I may invest in it. After at least a year of favorable reviews and a non-ridiculous upgrade cost.
    Social gaming? Not for me! I've never liked on-line gaming and probably never will. There are way too many juvenile trash talkers and far too much variation in ping times to make any "social" game enjoyable.
    Now, how's about some Half Life 3? Single-player only, please! Make it this decade, too.

19. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

it's just slow to rise, I think eventually most tv's will be 3D capable but it takes many years for this stuff to get sorted out. I mean flat screens didn't outsell CRT's until 2007.

I don't see how hard it would be to integrate 3d into video games though, you already have the z-depth information available. Doesn't seem like a big investment for them, but I don't think they should push it either.

20. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

It almost certainly wont be Origin only, just like Crysis 2 isnt Origin only.
    "Electronic Arts did list other digital platforms, however - including Direct2Drive and GamersGate, as well as it's own Origin service."
    http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2011/07/11/steam-not-listed-for-battlefield-3-release/1

If anyone is to blame, it appears to be Steam - They changed the rules with Crysis, EA pulled the title.
    http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2011/06/16/ea-valve-removed-crysis-2-from-steam/1
    But then that doesnt suit the agenda of most folk, where butter wouldnt melt in Steams mouth.

Given that Steam = Valve, and EA distribute physical copies for Valve, from Half-Life to Portal 2, i think a lot of the Anti-EA (at least in this instance) whining is uncalled for.... fine in 99% of cases though!! Valve clearly changed the terms, they were fine selling it while it was being released, while it was also on other digital distribution sites, and now its a different story. It clearly hasnt got anything to do with Origin or some EA/Origin v Valve/Steam face-off, despite what the Steam fanboys want to suggest, as those other sites still carry the game, and so would Steam if they didnt force new rules. Thats all for a different thread, but its annoying when people make lazy and inaccurate statements when theres zero basis for any of it, its just their agenda being spouted.

Tags: Add Tags