1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Almost-as-affordable mATX All-Rounder

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by parrais, 26 Jul 2011.

1. parrais

parrais What's a Dremel?

Budget: Approx. £500-550
    Main uses of intended build: Internet, gaming (FPS)
    Parts required: Everything, except monitor, keyboard and possibly PSU (already have Corsair CX430v2)
    Monitor resolution: currently 1280x1024, likely to be 1920x1080 soon
    Storage requirements: nothing special
    will you be overclocking: not aggressively (or not at all with a i3-2100)
    Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers): microATX

Extra information about desired system:
    Hi, new user here. For the first time in many years, I'm going to build my own PC, but I'm a little bewildered by the sheer number of choices these days. I really like the look of July's affordable all-rounder, except I'd prefer to put it in a smaller case, most likely the Fractal Design Arc Mini. I also have a bit more to spend (although not the ~£700 that the 'Enthusiast Overclocker' set-up would cost). Which particular components from the all-rounder would I be best off spending a bit more on? Is there a more future-proof motherboard that would be a better option (i.e. one that would allow overclocking if I were to upgrade the CPU in future), or would I get a significant performance boost from a better graphics card? Or something else entirely?

I currently have an old CRT monitor, but I'll probably upgrade that to a 23-24" flat screen in a month or two. I'm not too concerned about replacing that urgently.

The only component salvageable from my current (very old) box is a Corsair CX430v2 PSU which I bought recently to keep the PC going for another few weeks, but that machine really is on its last legs. I'd like to reuse the PSU if possible, but if it's not suitable then I'm prepared to buy another.

Any suggestions?

2. parrais

parrais What's a Dremel?

From checking the relevant page on Scan.co.uk, 1GB GTX460s vary between £110 and £170 (and beyond). Are there major differences between the cheapest and the more expensive cards; is it worth spending more?

3. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

You could pick up a 560 for £140 which will perform better than the £170 460.

I've not seen any complaints for the £110 MSI 460 so I'd go for that for the GPU.

4. llOriginll

llOriginll Minimodder

As above regarding the GPU. The MSI Hawk 460 thingamigiggy is quite a tidy card. Also, additional budget should obviously be spent on lights :D

5. Sponge12349

Sponge12349 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ ︵ ┻━┻

This is a 1gb model and a whole lot cheaper than others. I've heard that the cooler on it isn't bad so this is pretty much a bargin!

6. parrais

parrais What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the feedback on the graphics card. Any comments on the rest of the build; would the allrounder's components fit OK in a mATX case like the Arc Mini?

Is there a cheap step up from the i3-2100 for the CPU that's a good deal, or is it worth going the whole hog and getting the i5-2500K?