1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Diablo 3 will have always-online DRM, player-to-player microtransactions

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 1 Aug 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

....lol

Let me take that off my shopping list.

3. llOriginll

llOriginll Minimodder

Point 1. BOOOOO, won't affect me too much but seriously, it's a solo game primarily and always will be. Why force us to be online?

Point 2. ********, I dislike heavily. Mods are what will keep you game alive for a decade blizzard, sort it out.

Point 3. I like this. I'm leet so I intend on making money. If Blizz doesn't sort out farmers and shizzle though this could go downhill quick.

4. Jewels

Jewels What's a Dremel?

Blizzard has completely shifted towards its online service, forcing its entire player base to experience connectivity and shun single player campaigns. Diablo 3 is essentially an MMO without the subscription costs.

5. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

For every pirating shitface out there, job well done.

6. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Oh well...

*cancels preorder*

7. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Oh well, a game I won't be buying then.

The offline character to online character thing is nonsense - it'd be easy enough to simply not allow it, while still allowing offline play. The piracy justification is weak - if the current Ubi DRM showed one thing, it's that those determined enough will still crack it regardless.

Lack of mods is just... well, Blizzard being modern Blizzard quite frankly. Allowing mods in this, given it's essentially subscription-less-MMO styling (credit to Jewels for that) would be insane.

And the player-to-player microtransaction thing just smacks of 'if we don't do it, they'll do it on trading sites, so we're going to get a cut!'...

Seriously, it's like the big developers are trying to push me into the arms of the Indie devs.

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

pirates get the blame with Blizzard but Ubisoft get the blame with Driver San Francisco?

im very interested in how this will play out. i wonder how much different people will treat different companies. Ubisoft clearly isn't one of people's favourites, but Blizzard is held highly by some fanboys.

9. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

"preventing piracy was a factor in the decision" - **** off. *A* factor? You mean *THE* factor. As if always-online DRM has any benefits to the end user whatsoever....what other possible factors could there be?

My pirated copy of Diablo 1 and 2 work just beautifully, by the way, since my original Diablo 1 and 2 discs are scratched to buggery - so don't be too quick to dismiss the pirating "shitfaces".

I was really, really looking forward to Diablo 3. I think I'll just wait for Grim Dawn now....

http://www.grimdawn.com/

10. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Oh I hold Blizzard highly.

However Activision-Blizzard, that's a different company...

11. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

Ahwell.

12. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Quite literally the *only* people who will be disadvantaged by this will be the people who want to support the devs and pay for the game. A pirated version WILL come out and all those who don't pay for it will enjoy the benefits of being able to play offline whilst the rest of us will get screwed over.

Nice one Activillain.

13. zulu9812

zulu9812 What's a Dremel?

Player- to-player transactions will devolve into farming and spam. Always does. Always-on-DRM loses sales - I specifically won't buy it because of this. And no mod support? What is this - a console game?

14. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Not sure what everyone is getting their knickers in a twist for.

- It's NOT (at least not anymore) primarily a single player game and has survived as such for so long because of this. Battle.net and playing with your friends was the main draw. Single player could be done when they weren't on. The most fun to be had was always in a group.

- Add-ons are not required anyhow. You smash skulls in and collect loot, what could you possibly need add-ons for?

- Real money AH defeats scammers and nets blizz cash from gold sellers, it's a win-win for all.

Always online is the future and is a very tame version of DRM. Most people are always online so there shouldn't be much issue there and as mentioned, there will be a cracked version at some point - no doubt about it.

I do concur with one of the above posters that it's leaning more towards an MMO without the subs nowadays but I think that the things they have taken from the MMO scene fit well and will only add depth.

I'm not a mad blizz or activision fan, I've often been a critic; but this tide of negativity is feeding on itself and is just ludicrous for the most part.

15. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Eh, I'm sure the solo stuff will get cracked anyway, Starcraft 2 is. I think they should just state a warning that you can't transfer offline characters to online and leave it at that. Really not a fan of always online systems while I'm playing by myself, although it will be nice to be able to take any character online.

If they're implementing real money and always online DRM, zero tolerance for mods makes sense. I think selling items for real money is a really cool idea, and if sacrificing mods is required to make it feasible, so be it. I have faith that Blizzard will make the base game fun enough anyway.

@XXAOSICXX

You could just register those cd keys with Blizzard and download the game legit...

16. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I don't see what all the drama is, I can't remember the last time I wasn't connected to the net, and if I had to move house or something its not as if it would be the end of the world not to be able to play a game for a week or two. If they think it stops piracy of the game then fair play, if everything was released totally DRM free, we wouldn't have a PC gaming industry at all.

Seriously, even in the most countrified backwater you can get a net connection nowadays (speed isn't important)

As an aside, Grim Dawn looks awesome!

Last edited: 1 Aug 2011
  17. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

Another game that I won't be purchasing because of flawed DRM,

18. Centy-face

Centy-face Caw?

Exactly what I was going to post. Since Blizzard have decided to make Diablo 3, in essence, as a big '**** you you will buy into what we tell you' project this seems as good a time as any to point out that there is a competing game in development called Grim Dawn by some of the same people who made Titan Quest but now they are indies.

Perhaps this time we could use our wallets to tell Blizzard exactly where they can stick their rules and gold farming microtransactions and go with a game being made for the PC by people who care about the players and want to see them enjoy the product and who's only public thoughts on DRM have been "should be just put it on Steam? People seem to like that anyway".

19. Gigglebyte

Gigglebyte :3

Good job Acti-Blizz, alienate your buyers along with the few pirates (just exaggerated figures). If a game is going to inconvenience me outside of the game itself then it loses its value with me.

Perhaps Acti-Blizz are pushing the limits on buyer remorse (with the amount of money coming in from games such as WoW and CoD they have a safety net) and seeing how far they can go to inconvenience the buyer for their own gains?

Last edited: 1 Aug 2011
  20. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

Lol. You realise that this isn't pirates fault. This is about control and now publishers have a smokescreen to force it on players. DRM only hurts genuine players as it is always always cracked.

Tags: Add Tags