1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Critical Hit: Eight-Legged Menace

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 1 Aug 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. modfx

modfx Loft Gremlin

I still can't play Doom3 even though I'm 21 now although, I can manage FEAR, Quake4, amnesia, etc absolutely fine. I think its the combination of pitch black and enclosed spaces that gets me. Cant do swimming in deep water either unless I can see the bottom, even if I know its perfectly safe.

3. biojellywobbles

biojellywobbles Minimodder

Whhaaa? it's a game!

4. guvnar

guvnar What's a Dremel?

Heights, blood, small spaces, darkness - clowns even - meh...

Spiders? Woah!!!

5. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

My girlfriend is terrified of spiders, so I made the spiders in Minecraft look like giant wasps with no wings that hover a little of the floor.

Sadly, due to the way the game renders the occulsion of shadows and water, the legs are still visible when there is water behind the "wasp" or you are close enough to see the "wasp's" shadow.

I think I have a screenshot somewhere

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Sketchee

Sketchee Suddenly, looters! Hundreds of 'em!

This! Unless I KNOW that there's nothing down there I just can't shake the bloody feeling that something might pop up and take a bite :worried:

The water level in the original half life :shudder:

7. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I've recently moved to Australia and I'm dreading seeing ANY sort of spider, just in case it's a killer...

8. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

But all spiders in Australia are deadly. But then so are all the snakes, the jellyfish, the crocodiles, the sharks, the seashells fer chrissake, and probably that half-a-housebrick that's lying in the gutter up ahead. The place'll even try to bake you to death in the desert. Never has there been a country that wants you dead half as much as Australia. I have no idea how its inhabitants make it to adulthood.

9. justicefornone

justicefornone What's a Dremel?

While reading the article I wanted to scream 'AMEN BROTHER!!' but realised that would be silly. Either way I completely agree with the whole thing. Those 'creatures' scare the living everything outta me, pretty much everyone has some kind of irrational fear I guess, even Indiana Jones!!

10. Autti

Autti What's a Dremel?

Phil im Australian and you just get used to it. Sure everything wants you dead, but it's just like L4D, it doesn't mean you don't put up a fight.

11. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

12. Ross1

Ross1 What's a Dremel?

Gohma on ocarina of time scared me as a kid. and that was just the first boss.

13. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Clearly, you have mere minutes to live. Mind that toothy thing that's about to drop onto your shoulder!

14. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Ohhhh dear.

BANTER TIME!

15. MrMicheal

MrMicheal What's a Dremel?

I would have to agree with the swimming in deep water. Just gives the feeling of paranoia, even whilst playing a game where the worst thing that will happen is me reloading!

But I think removing the things that are meant to scare you from the game just reduce the entertainment factor from the game, even if it is giant hairy spiders... :O I mean my friend always ends up in hysterics at me while I am busy screaming at something that happened unexpectedly :p

16. eddman

eddman What's a Dremel?

I'm freaking terrified of a combination of dark and confined spaces. I hardly managed to finish the cradle/orphanage level of thief: deadly shadows. I can't play dead space either. Couldn't get past chapter 3; just couldn't.

17. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

My heights issue kicked in crossing the bridge section in hl2 Highway 17 i ended up turning the graphics to minimum for a while, made it a bit more palatable.

18. Baekkel

Baekkel Picky Picture Villian

I understand people who can't stand the mere thought of spiders in their imminent vicinity.
    But i'm not one of them, i take the battle to them! eight legs?
    makes a nice goo-star when my foot retracts from the surface the creeper was sitting on.

my fear is far worse...
    I have issues with kids...
    ( and no, i don't run screaming and paniced around the mall/store/street whenever i see a brat )
    The kids i fear are just like the name states, the ones like F.E.A.R. or The Ring..
    One especially haunts my very soul, the child from the japanese version of Dark Water, from the elevator scene... uhff, just thinking about it makes me itch....

19. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

Water levels make me soil myself.

20. Cradok

Cradok What's a Dremel?

I don't do spiders, I don't do underwater sections, and I don't do large amounts of dark lit by a single shoulder-lamp. I got Facehugged exactly once in the first AvP and never went back. I'll expend entire loads of ammo in the hope that whatever's underwater dies somewhere in the midst of it all. Darkened rooms get filled with grenades, black Headcrabs get shot with whole clips even after they're dead. There's a spider in Outland that's as big as a house and lives in a convenient dip so that it appears out of nowhere just in time for all the skin on your body to decide to crawl off of your bones. One of my most nightmarish moments on board the UNN VonBraun is being stuck in a BRM with a spider at the entrance, being re-created and dying over and over...

I think I'll go and play something exceptionally cheery now.

Tags: Add Tags