1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Diablo 3 will have always-online DRM, player-to-player microtransactions

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 1 Aug 2011.

1. banshee256

banshee256 What's a Dremel?

#1: Don't care. As he said, StarCraft II and World of WarCraft already does this (even though, in WoW's case, it's kind of required). Besides, Battle.net gives you access to friends-lists, forums and other stuff, so it's not just a DRM-system, it provides benefits to the buyers, instead of penalizing them.

#2: Excellent! Mods for Diablo II were absolutely horrible and completely ruined Open Battle.net (yes, I played Open legit. Bloody difficult with all the cheat mods out there). Mods are great for games like Oblivion, Fallout 3, Unreal Tournament, Neverwinter Nights and stuff like that, were you get the distinct impression that the developers spent more time tinkering with the engine and the tools for it (so that they could license it to other companies) than the actual gameplay. Gameplay was more of a showcase of what the engine was capable off, than anything else.

#3: This part really sucks. Yes, people sold items on E-bay in Diablo II, but at a huge cost, because they risked getting banned. This in turn also limited the amount of buyers. Now some people will farm like crazy and the prices will drop fast, making it the norm to have the best gear as soon as you can use it.
    Personally I see it as cheating and I won't touch the service, but it'll make me think twice about joining random games, since I don't know if people have bought their gear or earned it.

2. tom_hargreaves

tom_hargreaves Comfy shoe wearer

All of the paying customers are going to be screwed in to the ground by having to stay connected to the internet. Constantly i'm having to disconnect from the internet, and only re-connect whenever i'm browsing the web and playing online games.

Actually, i'm going to go on Dragons Den and pitch my idea for a modem/router that keeps you connected to the internet constantly and hassle free. Staying on the internet would be so much easier that way.

3. mpr

mpr What's a Dremel?

Yet another game I won't be able to play during deployments... no wonder the powerful gaming laptop (ok fine desktop replacement laptops of a few years ago were capable) hasn't continued evolving.

4. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Why are people so quick these days to jump to the defence of companies who do things that aren't in the best interests of the customer?
    Whatever happened to people demanding more for their money, demanding better from the services/products they pay for?
    Why do so many apologists always crawl out of the woodwork to make statements like "I don't see why everyone is whining", when the reasons are obvious to anyone who pays attention and cares.

The PC as a gaming platform would never have thrived the way it did if it wasn't for game mods and user freedom. Whether Diablo 3 is the kind of game that would benefit from modding or not remains to be seen, but it's a shocking turnaround after the flexibility of StarCraft 2 in this regard.

Many people do not have reliable connections with 100% uptime, and many others quite justifiably feel they shouldn't have to be online to play a game offline. As a paying customer I don't want to wear the ball & chain of the pirate down the street.
    This appears to be different from the StarCraft 2 model and more extreme in the approach:
    Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/08/01/diablo-3-cannot-be-played-offline/

Micro-transactions are never good value for money and generally set a horrible precedent for future abuse by corporations who already nickel & dime their customers all too much to begin with.
    In this case, however; players will either be at a disadvantage for being unwilling to drop a few dollars here and there on virtual items in the game, or they'll feel compelled to treat Diablo 3 and its item-crafting as a second job.
    This situation is neither good for gameplay nor healthy for players.
    Way to encourage yet more chinese sweatshops, Blizz.

Source: http://www.mmo-champion.com/content...ouse-Announced-Spend-and-Earn-Real-Life-Money!
    It's not exactly optional if the real-currency AH is going to have a direct impact on the value of in-game gold, since that affects people regardless of using the real-currency AH.
    Have they not thought this through? Or do they just not care?

Blizzard gives (marginally) better reasons for its DRM and restictive policies here than scum like Ubisoft in the past, but if you don't see why people are 'whining' then you're just bloody ignorant and part of the entire problem of the direction of the modern games industry.

Last edited: 1 Aug 2011
  5. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

To my understanding this is about mods not addons. Which is arguable i guess depending on the direction on the game. But I see no reason not to include addon support, some people inc myself like the change from the default UI.

6. SaNdCrAwLeR

SaNdCrAwLeR What's a Dremel?

and then the pirating shitfaces will tell you...
    "We cracked SC2 and played SP, Diablo 3's main point is SP... CHA-CHING"

7. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

so what about people who are stuck on Dial up? I guess this is where they are forced to turn to pirated or hacked versions for this very reason of what they are trying to prevent lol.

8. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

If I travelled a lot, I'd buy an Android phone and tether the hell out of it!

9. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

And we care about people on dial up why? Or should be shed a tear for those of us still trying to communicate via morse code too?

To the ragers: rage all you like. Seriously, just don't buy the game then and cry yourself to sleep about these nasty video game people doing horrible things to you. To the proper Diablo fans like myself out there, look forward to playing with you!

10. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

What if I want to play on the train on my way to work?

11. Zeus-Nolan

Zeus-Nolan Minimodder

Well the dog is dead, Torchlight 2 is looking better than this.

12. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

3G dongle or tether to phone.

13. Roskoken

Roskoken What's a Dremel?

Oh well, looks like this is another game im going to pirate out of pure spite.

14. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Good job, lets all behave like 5 year olds.

15. karolis

karolis Code Monkey

Best thing to happen in money laundering market since the invention of the Internet.

16. kornedbeefy

kornedbeefy What's a Dremel?

Talk about being selfish and the world revolves around oneself additude.

I have a number of friends and family who are forced to use dial-up, wireless air cards with bandwith caps due no other options. Yes I care about them! If your a proper Diablo fan then I'd rather play Grim Dawn, thanks.

17. CrazyBlade

CrazyBlade What's a Dremel?

I never got into Diablo 2 - I'm doing something wrong at the start I know but I can't get started for some reason - but I was looking forward to checking this out. I gotta say though that this news kinda kills it for me - not so much the online all the time stuff but the AH for real money is ridiculous. Sorry, but that's far too much of a game changer for me, regardless of its "optional" status. I guess I'm out - sadly.

18. Artanix

Artanix Minimodder

As I stated earlier, actually wait for further info or a review before making a full decision, can't believe the amount of people who are boycotting (allegedly, we all remember the CoD boycots) this due to a small snippet of info they don't like.

Anyway, I can't cancel now:

[​IMG]

19. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Isn't this just their way of getting rid of the Ebay sellers? For Diablo 2-LOD you have been able to buy Rune Words and Runes on Ebays for YEARS.

Dunno if you still can but I played for 4 years a few back and you could get them quite easily. Diablo 3 would have been the same.

20. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

So ......... I hear there's this awesome game called Torchlight ... and Torchlight 2 will have multiplayer..

Tags: Add Tags