1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Restore

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Skeng, 16 Jun 2011.

1. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Black & White or Black & Orange- depends if you have a theme for the inside of the case regards sleeving colour / mobo colours and such.

With your painting, several light coats is better than a few thick ones, reduces the chances of bad dribbles like that :)

2. Korvus

Korvus May contain traces of sanity.

I would actually go for red and black to match the red detail near the top, good luck with this though :)

3. Karrek

Karrek Minimodder

Is there anything that you want to match it too? keyboard, monitor, desk, car, wife, sandwich, or internal components? That could play into the color choice...

I think that black is safe, but won't pull anyone's attention to the "I modified this!" factor. The white is sleek and probably the new "in" color for computers. The orange looks sharp, but might be hard to match to anything; also reminds me of a sports car (especially with the Cosmos S badge on the side).

4. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

I'll vote pure black :)

5. Skeng

Skeng Water Cometh!

To be honest my main computer is in a 800D and I'm also just updating the watercooling in it including new fans fittings and overall colour scheme. This is nothing more than a side project that one day I may move from the 800D to it. As for now it will just hold my "LAN commy" which is just standard dual core and 8000GTX hardware. =]

But at the moment I'm feeling the white as soon I will have 4 spare white fans which would look good inside :D

6. Skeng

Skeng Water Cometh!

UPDATE 31/07/2011

Day 2 of update central and alot has been done. I've spent about three hours today spraying and sanding the case and I'm pretty happy with it so far, anyway picture time.

Firstly let me start by saying I accidentally missed out some parts of the case that needed spraying such as the hard drive bay and the rear case port covers.
    [​IMG]

So I primed them including some touch up's on a older panel.
    [​IMG]

Then I wet sanded the drips off the panel and rails that I sprayed yesterday.
    (Warning this image may burn your eyes)
    [​IMG]
    This still needs to be resprayed but I'll explain that later.

I also sprayed the bar's and they all came out really well apart from one that has a few drips check it!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lastly I went ape **** spraying the rest of my case before "The storm" came.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only reason I didnt carry on was the sky was getting pretty cloudy and the air was hot even though there was no sun, for me that mean's only one thing. "POTENTIAL STORM BREWING"

[​IMG]

So I put everything away just in case the heaven's opened. I should finish everything else off tomorrow there's just 2 more panel's that haven't yet been sprayed and there are a few drips and bubbles I'd like to sound out before getting to the rivet stage. :D

Stay Tuned

P.S I would still like your opinion regarding case colour check out my previous post for some concept design's personally I'm swinging more towards black and white.

-SKENG-

7. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

I say go for orange, and get the orange gigabyte X58 board! That would make a KILLER combo:D

white and black looks like stock colors. If you go orange, it will shine like a ruby:D

8. Skeng

Skeng Water Cometh!

UPDATE: 1/08/2011

UPDATE CENTRAL DAY 3 Has been cancelled :/

It's rained twice today already and I don't want to risk it.

9. Gentleman_Dingo

Gentleman_Dingo What's a Dremel?

BOOO rain! BOOO!!!!!

10. Stem83

Stem83 Addicted to modding.

rain sucks, 2nd place is wind. cant spray when its windy, so when u dont have a garage or a shed in the uk spraying is almost impossible.

11. Skeng

Skeng Water Cometh!

True that! I almost choked to death a few day's ago. I was spraying the rails and the wind just appeared from no where and blew it all back in my face. xD

12. Skeng

Skeng Water Cometh!

Update: 2/08/2011

BAD JU JU IS AFOOT!
    So I barely did anything today for two reason's one it didn't stop raining until 5:30pm and because spraying has gone horrible for me today. Good new's is I do believe I will go with the black and orange for the final design I'm like 90% sure.

So I sprayed three panel's today the last two that needed spraying and one that I wet sanded and retouched.

"Dem Stencil's"
    [​IMG]

I also started using my paint can top's to hold up my panel's as bit's of the cardboard were getting stuck in the paint.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There the only picture's I took as I'm pretty peeved that the panel I wet sanded the drips off when it came to respraying it I did it flat so it wouldn't run yet the paint still ran so I have to wait for it to dry and sand it again now. :/

Not to mention all my panel's seem to have some sort of paint defect on them such as small blob's. So I'm going to have to watch a few tutorials on how to paint as I must be doing something wrong. I first just continually sprayed until the full panel was completely covered. Then I realised if I did short 1 second bursts I didn't get as many defects. But doing these short burst's means that the nozzles clog up pretty fast meaning when I spray a second coat it spits blob's of paint out. :/

Seems I cant get that perfect finish. Also I sent off for more primer and some clear coat so until I can figure out how to get a good finish I wont be updating for a few days.

-SKENG-

Last edited: 5 Aug 2011
  13. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Smooth steady strokes with light coats. 6 light coats will be better than 2 heavy ones. The most important part is the prep and under coat, get that right and you'll sail through it.

If I get enough time this week end I'm going to be starting a "How to paint your case" log. I've got one that I spraying for a forum member and it'll be the ideal case to use. A lot of people have PM'd me or left questions in my logs on how I get decent results with cans, so I thought why not do what Bloody_Pete done with his water cooling log and do the painting equivalent. If I'm feeling really brave I might have a go at a quick video just on panel.
    Have a look in my sig at what I've done on my cases all with rattle cans.

In the mean time if you need a bit of help or a few tips, just fire of a PM to me.

14. Pitor

Pitor What's a Dremel?

I think that "black & white version" is most interesting

15. DesertFox

DesertFox What's a Dremel?

I like black and orange. Black and white cases are boring.

16. Mizugetsu

Mizugetsu What's a Dremel?

I'm doing a restore of sorts on my Cosmos 1000v1 but i'm sticking with the original colours

so at the moment in a similar vein as yours Lots of metalic silver paint wafting around my flat right now

good look to you though looks gr8 so far

17. Skeng

Skeng Water Cometh!

update: 5/8/2011

IT CAME!

The sun is shining and today is a day for sanding re-spraying and slapping on some lovely clear coat ^_______^

[​IMG]

18. Skeng

Skeng Water Cometh!

Big Update Tomorrow!

So this last week and odd my town has had horrible weather. Not to mention I've been relatively busy. Everything is now fully sprayed apart from the rivets which I'll be doing tomorrow as it has just started to rain. As far as clear coating goes I've noticed just how thin/fine the spray is which means when spraying outside it is extremely volatile to being blown around by the wind. This means I've had to do 3 to 4 coats just to get a even amount on a panel. At that rate I would be spending more cash having to buy extra can's so I've decided to preserve it for the side panels and the outer shell of the case, something that could really take damage rather than the guts.

Anyway I haven't got any pictures for you, as it was just sanding and respraying. All the panels have had 2-3 coats and are looking great. I feel like a bit of a perfectionist as I have probably racked up 3 hours alone over this past week sanding bit's. Anyway I'm very happy with the result to say the least considering it is only tin's of spray paint. Again as for finished pictures if everything goes to plan i.e. the weather being great I can spray the rivets and hopefully by tomorrow night have put the case back together so stay tuned.

-SKENG-

19. Jettblack

Jettblack What's a Dremel?

Orange - then some orange highlights inside the case -

20. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

In case you had not decided black and orange is the future of your mod!!

Keep you chin up we're due a good couple of days of sunshine for good painting in the next couple of weeks!