1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Euclideon promises unlimited graphical detail

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 2 Aug 2011.

1. Killbz

Killbz I havent got a dremel

Finally a reason to buy a OCZ Revodrive 3 and for companies to design a graphics card able to fully saturate a PCIE 3.0 bandwidth. With a 5ghz Ivybridge 16 thread cpu to run it all...~(dreaming)...

I am quite excited by this. With decent physics engine attached it would utterly amazing. Imagine bullets that actually removed "atoms" and make proper holes or fully destructible terrains on an "atomic" level.

2. TheBoyBest

TheBoyBest What's a Dremel?

SO that's what happened to Lloyd Grossman! "Who lives in a hoooooooowse loooooooooooooyk thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis"

3. PQuiff

PQuiff What's a Dremel?

Hmmmm sounds to good to be true......if it is using voxel technology. Meh....go look at the old Comanche or delta warrior games.

4. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Total disagreement. There is no reason a computer game needs 80's graphics in order to let you escape reality.

I was playing BC2 recently on an urban map and noticed the incredible level of detail in the town. I was running and hiding behind sheds, behind walls etc using tactics I would use in a real batttlefield arena. It felt all the more believable because of the graphical realism. If that is turned up even higher with future engines then the level of escapism can be even greater. Already we are starting to see incredible character animation and facial expressions in games like Crysis 2. Crysis 2 is escapism and just because it has good graphics doesn't mean it's somehow lacking immersiveness.

Do we criticise movies and say they are too real visually for us to engage fully? Bollocks. It's all down to the content and the presentation.

5. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

I read this same story a few years ago - funny how the PR machine works. This was "incredible" and "unlimited" in scope back then and, not so strangely, it hasn't materialised yet. Not to say this is entirely vapourware (though I personally think it is) but they've been working on this for years and still don't have anything anyone can actually play (since it requires entirely different graphics processing capabilities than Nvidia/AMD/Matrox/whoever provide for).

I wish I could find that old article on the tinterwebs... :(

6. karx11erx

karx11erx What's a Dremel?

Medicine? Marching cubes anybody?

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I don't understand it but hope we end up with mad detail in our games, looked awesome when it zoomed into the dirt, but 1 thing I do not like about the idea of unlimited graphical detail is it could be used for fake propaganda which I do find a bit scary to be honest if it ever ended up getting that far :worried:.

But the voice over really makes it appear like a joke wind up to wet the appetite of gamers everywhere :lol: Euclideon sounds like an STD or something :hehe::p.

8. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

Still didnt look very realistic to me.

But as he says, will need artists to make use of it, as they were not.

However, id hapily trade of a few million voxels and pixels and polygons etc for decent game play, which seems to be whats missing in games, not realism.

9. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

I still havn't seen any of their demos with anything actually moving. It mayaswell be a picture because everything is still, the water is like a mirror. I dont care if a new version can run 80fps. It is a bit pointless if you cant actually do anything yet. I will be more convinced when they show a proper demo with a character walking around interacting with the environment. They dont have to be artistic to show that,

10. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

Agreed, I think alot of games are already pretty high on the realism scale, there are bigger priorities...
    How about fixing damn consolitis syndrome instead huh?

11. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

hopefully a games company tries this tech out.. as Euclideon isn't one .. .maybe we'll find out if this is the real deal or not then... interesting though

12. Kasius

Kasius Bringin' the dremolition

Time to buy some shares :D

13. E_Spaghetti

E_Spaghetti What's a Dremel?

Exactly! They say they can scan an object and place it in their virtual world.
    Scan a human..
    Lets see him or her walk around and chop a tree down or pick a rock up.

14. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I think it's the console generation and very low end PC users who claim great graphics = poor gameplay. The battlefield series shows otherwise. I don't say a game must have cutting edge graphics to be good, what I do say is that I want cutting edge graphics and good gameplay. I still play some games with simple graphics but I don't want a diet of only low end graphic games. I also don't agree with the idea that games are "good enough" graphically. It's like saying we have 32nm CPU so we don't need anything faster now. It's small-minded and shows a lack of vision.

15. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

this tho I want somethings to look more realistic but others not too. Like I loved GTA3 style, yet come san andreas or GTA4 everything was made of various shades of brown. It didn't know if it wanted to be real life crime simulator or a game. Same with may of these modern shooters. While I didn't like brink's visuals it was refreshing and tried something else. I still feel pop up, AA and poor textures are more of a problem than polygon count. Especially AA, I like my lines straight!

16. PabloFunky

I dont think anyone said that great graphics means bad gameplay, theres many games that have bad gfx and bad gameplay.

Time just needs to be spent improving gameplay and not just spent on gfx only.

Obviously i hope theirs time to do both, but typically there is usually a sacrifice, at end of day, games companies want to make money and have to compromise between what they can do to achieve deadlines.

Im same as everyone else and want both also :D. as you say games dont need good gfx to be addictive and fun.

17. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

I guess I need to update my HD5870 not to play BF3, but to play this demo tech...

Impressive, I just hope it isnt' bull

18. Gigglebyte

Gigglebyte :3

Did I say I speak for everyone, no, I speak for myself.
    High detail graphics does not correlate to gameplay in my opinion, and no I am not with the "console generation and very low end PC users who claim great graphics = poor gameplay" crowd that you believe exists.

I put a game on its merits and draw my own conclusions, rather than jumping to conclusions.

19. PabloFunky

I tend to agree also.

If im immersed in a game, i tend not to notice how detailed a walls textures are, and if running around at fast pace blasting everything in site:D, you miss alot of the details anyway,

Well i do, perhaps my eyes arent as good as they used to be, or maybe a bigger monitor is in order.

Theres no way i want to stop progress though, so i do hope things improve on gaming front, however i dont tend to play games as much as i did when i was a nipper.

20. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

If real -> Holy **** :D

Tags: Add Tags