1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EA's Origin to delete inactive accounts

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Aug 2011.

1. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Yeah true, but as far as I'm aware the facts are the same, you still have only bought the right to use it, not bought it itself so to speak.
    In the end I'm not really bothered to be fair, if you don't like it don't use it, simples.

2. fata1_666

fata1_666 ...

2 year of being in active fair enough i say you cant be that bothered with in in the first place but sure people will get on the wagon and moan!!

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

You don't like it? Don't use it.

This man has it right:

This is not theft. They are not unlawfully depriving you of goods because you agreed to their terms when you signed up, and their terms give them the right to remove access to those goods. Therefore it is not a criminal matter; it's not even a civil matter, you couldn't sue EA over this because you'd be laughed out of court.

Yeah it stinks, yeah it's low, but them's the breaks. If you don't know what you're agreeing to when you agree to terms, then you have no one to blame but yourself when it comes back to bite you.

I'm not defending EA but you can't call this theft. In fact I think it's downright crappy of them, and I can see no reason for them to do this other than extorting money out of you. Hell I've got games purchased 13 years ago which I still install from time to time.

4. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

Hmmm... your account has to be inactive for two whole years and then and only then might you lose it.

I would suggest that if your account has been totally dormant for two years you've already lost it.

5. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

It isn't anywhere near as black and white as that.

A company can put whatever they want in their terms of service, whether it is legally binding or now will be judged in a court of law.

6. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

It is in this case, which is what we are talking about so :p

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Oh wow now that is something to be pissy about with EA, everything else I didn't see the big problem but this, wow that really is awesomely crappy.

I doubt I'd ever go for 2 straight years without any gaming unless I fell really ill or something but still this news is so crap, I think this news should be the final nail in the coffin for their origin service.

EA can't be seen as a competitor to steam or any other now because they just killed themself IMO.

8. Kingsley813

Kingsley813 What's a Dremel?

Origin sucks anyway.

I won a free console game (despite not owning one) via Doritos, and was supposed to redeem through these idiots. They have so far refused to acknowledge my entitlement to a free game, and hence cancelled my order, because they 'have not recieved payment'. Payment for a free game? That's a new one to me.

9. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

Granted, you agree to their terms so they have the right to do as they please afterwards, and sure, 2 years of inactivity is long enough to assume you ain't comin back, but it still doesn't mean that it's cool.

If you buy the retail copy for the same price you're still only purchasing the rights to use the product BUT if you don't use it for 2 years you can still reinstall it and play. To me, the problem is with that distinction, a license should be a license no matter how or where its purchased. If EA (or Steam for that matter) decides to cease Origin operations all of a sudden, they wouldn't exchange online licenses for retail ones and that's an issue.

10. DwarfKiller

DwarfKiller What's a Dremel?

I hope this doesn't include retail CD-Keys. That would make them the Messiah of everything evil in the galaxy.

11. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

for all you people saying if you haven't logged on in two years you never will - you obviously haven't had kids! my girlfriend had about a three year hiatus before logging on again. and I never logged on to steam while I was playing games from other sources which I am guessing was 18 months minimum, possibly two and a half years, so I can see how it is perfectly possible to have a two year period where you don't log in.

12. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I have dozens of games that i've gone 2 years or more without playing. I still intend on playing most of them in the future. A lot of them I haven't completed because another game came along and distracted me from it. 2 years isn't that long a period of time, and if you only have 1 or 2 games on Origin (lets face it most people will be buying from Steam if the choice is there) its quite likely that you won't activate it over that length of time.

13. Kasius

Kasius Bringin' the dremolition

I (quite embarrassingly) hadn't even heard or Origin prior to the BF3 Alpha :(

14. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

A very simple and effective plan. EA aren't so foolish as to make Origin the exclusive way to buy their games and it doesn't seem to be required to play them.

Whether a court finds the ToS binding or not is one thing, whether or not you could call removing games theft or not is another. Similar to the piracy threads, "theft" isn't really an applicable term.

Not that I'd want to try fighting EA in court. Deleting inactive accounts, while something users might not like, can be justified and will likely hold up in court, particularly with EA's lawyer army fighting for it.

15. Jimbob

Jimbob Minimodder

I wanted to like Origin, I really did. I want competition for Steam.

But it's as if EA really want me to stay away, Crysis 2 was cheaper on Steam than Origin by £5 and when it was pulled it from Steam it was £20 cheaper at my local store so I bought it there anyway. I tried really hard to find a bargan on Origin but failed and then they pull this ****!

Seriouslty EA, you're the up-start in the digital distribution game. You need to be BETTER and CHEEPER than Steam not the other way around. As much as I want to use your service I can't, you failed.

16. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I hope this is a joke?! I can't believe they would delete accounts like that.

17. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

It might be a regional thing but for the UK on the 29th of July games that were on Steam and Origin were as follows:

Cheaper on Origin:

Alice: Madness Returns, Bad Company 2, Sims Medieval, Shift 2, Dead Space 2, Bad Company 2 Vietnam, Bulletstorm, ME2 Digital Deluxe Edition, Spore, C&C Tiberium Wars, Burnout Paradise: Ultimate box, Dead Space, Crysis Warhead, Warhammer Online + 30 days play, MoH, DA: O Awakening, Mirror's Edge, Spore Galactic Adventures, Spore, Creepy and Cute Pack, C&C 3 Kane's Wrath, C&C RA3 - Uprising, Fifa Manager 10, Fifa Manager 09, NFS: Undercover

Same price on both:

Sims 3, Mass Effect 2, DA:O Ultimate, BF2, NFS:HP, Mass Effect, NFS: Shift

Steam is cheaper:

Crysis, Fifa Manager 11, Shank, C&C 4

18. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

THIS ARTICLE HAS BEEN UPDATED

19. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

Like I said:
    :lol:

20. benji2412