1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Need monitor advice - Dual 24" vs 27"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hamant, 4 Aug 2011.

1. hamant

hamant What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

I need some reccomendations for a new display setup. Right now I have an Acer 20" LCD which is a bit small for my liking and does not have all of the inputs I need so I've decided to upgrade.

I need to be able to connect up my PC, Xbox 360, PS3 and V+ HD box so would need HDMI, VGA and DVI inputs.

I'm not sure whether to go for a single 27" or 2 x 24" screens. My thinking behind the dual setup would be to have an extended desktop on my PC, but also when required, be able to use one of the screens for Xbox, PS3 or V+ HD and have my PC running at the same time. But at the same time I want to get the biggest screen I can. I have a budget of around £400-£500.

Does anyone have any advice or reccomendations?

H.

2. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

IMO Go for the single larger display unless you're planning on jumping into triple territory.

3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Are you just using it for gaming?

4. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

If it's mainly gaming you are using it for i would go with a single larger display. Dual screen isn't that great for gaming as the bezel is right in the middle of view. Dual monitor is really useful when doing editing or graphics work i find never noticed before until the summer job i got where my desk has dual monitors. I now find it a pain to do even basic office work on my home pc unfortunately.

5. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

6. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

If you feel so inclined and have the space you could go for 2 of these.

LG are a good brand and their TV's are very good

7. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Last edited: 4 Aug 2011
  8. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

personally I would get two 23" dell ultrasharp IPS screens. (I have one wow just wow. Did you know there are different shades of black? really makes a difference in dark games)

9. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

How much are they?

10. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

About £200
    Goodbytes will come soon and explain the wonders of IPS technology over TN panels.
    The screens I listed are also IPS but slightly more budget (LED backlit instead of CFL)

11. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I did spot that yours were IPS, that's why I said I'd choose to buy 3 of them, if it was myself doing the buying.

12. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

13. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

+1 on getting a single large display. I have two 24" monitors which I use for my work, and one of them is switched off most of the time because it simply isn't needed. I wouldn't change my dual setup for one large monitor though as I absolutely must have two screens for batch image processing, but one monitor definitely works best for gaming.

I don't know what 27" screen you want to buy for £400-500 though, as they cost a lot more than that... unless you go for the Hazro.

14. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

15. lm_wfc

lm_wfc Minimodder

If you only want 2 so you can use your pc while doing other stuff, one of the screens will only be in the background, Why not get a big single screen and then a used smaller one to watch tv in the backgroud? or have pc on smaller one while your playing xbox?

16. hamant

hamant What's a Dremel?

Thanks guys, I think you've pretty much convinced me to go for a 27" over 2 x 24".

Does anyone have any 27" recommendations apart from the Dell U2711?

I don't really game on my PC, but do occasionally on my 360/PS3...only occasionally though. I mainly use the PC for general surfing and watching DVD's/BluRay's. I just figured it might be useful to be able to watch a movie/TV whilst surfing at the same time. But now that I think about it, I'm not sure I have the space for 2 24" screens. Hmmm...I might have to double check that.

longweight, unfortunately I don't have permission to access that link. :confused:

I've just seen this though which seems a bit too good to be true. Most other U2711's are £600+. I might be tempted.

17. bluespider42

bluespider42 Minimodder

The thread in question is my for sale thread, I have a u2711 for sale. pm if interested

Last edited: 5 Aug 2011
  18. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

A 27" screen for "general surfing and watching DVDs/Blurays" is overkill IMO, because you're not taking full advantage of the huge resolution or the quality of the panel. What about getting a Dell U2311 and putting the remainder of your budget into something else? I had a 23" screen for a few months and it is a really nice size to work with, as is 24" which I currently use - I'm sure all other 23"/24" users will agree.

As far as 27" displays go, other than the U2711 there is the Hazro 27" which costs £400 but is significantly lower in quality, even though it has the same 2560x1440 resolution and an IPS panel.