1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice PC Build Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ikoda, 1 Aug 2011.

1. Ikoda

Ikoda What's a Dremel?

Hi All,

I've recently had a CPU / Mobo (Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 / ASUS P5K Deluxe Wifi/Ap) die on me (probably due to four years of overclocks), and figured it was time to upgrade.

I can salvage most of the PC components, such as the ATI Radeon 5850 and the Antec 1200 Case and Antec True Power 650w PSU.

I'm looking to spend about £400, and have come up with these two alternatives.
    What are your guys thoughts?
    Is going for the SSD really going to make an impact?

Intel:
    Intel Core-i5 2500k
    MSI P67A-GD53 (B3)
    Gelid Tranquillo Rev.2
    4 (or 8) GB DDR3 1600Mhz

Amd
    AMD Phenom II X4 955
    Asus M4A87TD/USB3
    4 (or 8) GB DDR3 1600Mhz
    Gelid Tranquillo Rev.2
    OCZ Agility 3 120GB

2. microsoftPerson

microsoftPerson What's a Dremel?

SSD's make a huge difference. If you have ever used a system with a Striped RAID configuration and are familiar with the difference in speed this makes, then imagine 2.5x that speed with a single quality SSD. I was also skeptical when I purchased my 64GB drive for my current build, it was my first SSD, but it is easily my favorite part of the new system and makes a huge difference.

Your Intel configuration will perform better and more efficiently than your proposed AMD setup. It will also overclock very well.

3. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

If you get a cheaper 60GB drive and go for 4GB ram could you not afford the intel setup? SSD is essential really but 60GB can easily be enough with some steam links. Would be well worth it if you can stretch. Look out for scan today only deals as most days they will have some sort of combo deal on mobo, cpu, ram etc. SSD is essential really but 60GB can easily be enough with some steam links.

http://www.scan.co.uk/todayonly/index.aspx

4. Chebob

Chebob What's a Dremel?

Out of the two I'd go for the AMD setup simply because of the SSD, but if theres anyway you can budget a small SSD into the first setup id go for that, the i5 overclocks better than the phenom. Your quite lucky in the sense that you have alot of parts ready to go, and the intel group you mentioned comes to around £300 so im sure you could budget for one. 4GB of ram will probably be enough but 8GB would only be around £15 more so its up to you, so long as you get 1600Mhz ram youll be fine.

5. KASxxWill

KASxxWill What's a Dremel?

I tried to make a post, but it wouldn't let me... so if someone could please answer me this, what's so special about SSD? I haven't heard to many good things about compared to to traditional HDD.

6. Ikoda

Ikoda What's a Dremel?

Including the SSD in the Intel set up takes the cost to £500, (and 8GB of DDR 3 1600mhz).

Food for thought. Won't a 60GB SSD be consumed fairly quickly by the likes of Windows 7?

7. KASxxWill

KASxxWill What's a Dremel?

I think so... doesn't Windows 7 already require 1GB+ on your hard drive?