1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Recommended graphics card for right now

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Soniclord, 28 Jul 2011.

1. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

True, definitely only flash an unlocked BIOS, and even then the shaders only account for a few % difference, so I'm not crying that mine didn't unlock. It still OCs like a champ though and got past 6970 clocks.

2. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Have you not tried running the game with FRAPS turned on so you can monitor whether you are getting an acceptable framerate? Reason I ask is it could turn out you're running it fine it's just the game/drivers have microstutter issues that no one can be arsed to fix. Example: Napoleon and Empire total war campaign map with an AMD card, even at 60FPS microstutter like a female dog on the campaign map when panning the camera.

3. Soniclord

Soniclord What's a Dremel?

No. I use GPU-Z to monitor the temperature when it's in game and when I exit the game I go to GPU-Z and click show highest reading and it's never much higher than 63 degrees celsius. Obviously dependant on the game I play it can be higher but I've never seen temps above 75 degrees celsius.

The one I mentioned in my first post :read:

Alice Madness Returns.

It's definitely not a heat issue, and what you say about Fallout 3/Oblivion both those games play fine with no issues for me. The only game not playing without stutter is Alice Madness Returns. I'll have a look for a patch for the game but don't think there is one. My gfx drivers are up to date.

I'm using an Enermax Revolution 850W PSU so definitely more than enough power to supply everything I have.

I'll try fraps the next time I play it, see what it tells me. :D

Last edited: 29 Jul 2011
  4. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

You could choose a 2GB GTX 560ti. I have one, it works a treat.

5. Lord Xeb

Lord Xeb Derka Derpa Derka Derp

560Ti but also what CPU do you ahve?

6. Soniclord

It's a Core i7 860 @ stock 2.8 ghz

7. Soniclord

Well going to be buying my new card soonish I think, so anyone looking for a cheapish card to replace their existing aging beast check my sig. I'm not going to be using it so money towards my new card is always welcomed :D

8. jakobfrimmel

jakobfrimmel What's a Dremel?

if u can find a Hd 6950 2gb you might be able to unlock it to a Hd 6970 .... :)

9. murraynt

murraynt Modder

If his PSU can handle a 275 then it will laugh at a 560 GTX and would even take a 570 GTX without kicking up much fuss.

I would be looking at a 6950 myself, but it looks like this is more to do with a bug than lack of gfx power.

10. Soniclord

Definitely can handle the 275 lol, it's an Enermax Revolution 850+ :D

You mean the upgrade bug? lol.

Seriously it's just so I can take advantage of Direct X 11 etc. Which I can't currently do.

11. KASxxWill

KASxxWill What's a Dremel?

For £200,
    My friend has a GTX 560 Ti, which is a little cheaper than price range.

12. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

I would try to diagnose the jerky frame rate first.

Use performance monitor and GPU-Z to see if either the GPU or CPU is maxed. If the game has poor multi- threading support maybe it is maxing one core and leaving the others un-used.

If GPU-Z is not showing the GPU load or VRAM at 100% you have a different problem and it is not your card.

After this it is time to start checking drivers - video, sound, chipset etc. A clean video driver install is often a solution. When I say clean I mean using Driver Cleaner and the reg cleaner from CC Cleaner for a 100% clean install.

Also use FRAPS to look at the FPS. If it is above 60fps most of the time and has only periodic slow downs then again it is probably not the GPU at fault.

I went from a GTX 260 to a GTX 570 and it is about twice as fast. A 275 to a 260 TI would be a nice upgrade.

Personally I would try to find the money for a 270 or at least a 260 TI with double RAM for future proofing. Crysis 2 and Shogun 2 have already maxed out my 1.3 gig VRAM at 1680 x 1050.

Good luck.

13. aNuclearPidgeon

aNuclearPidgeon Minimodder

WHAT?!??! Where is this product?!?!? I coulda saved a lotta money instead of getting a 580GTX TFIII due to its awesome cooler :mad:

14. Bede

Bede Minimodder

LOL! Scan sent me mine, but I'd be very happy with that 580, I wish I had the money for that card :D

15. aNuclearPidgeon

aNuclearPidgeon Minimodder

16. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

It is called the N560GTX-Ti Hawk on the MSI global website but it is not listed on the UK website. It is listed on the MSI EU website though.

I can't find any reputable UK based retailers selling it but Pixmania do - they are France based so hence the EU tie-in.

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/9786090/art/msi/geforce-gtx-560-ti-hawk-1.html

17. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

18. Bede

Bede Minimodder