1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asus or Epox?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fowler, 13 Mar 2003.

1. Iceman

Iceman Staff

No I meant epox :rolleyes: I should know since I own every single one of them and have used around 20 8rda+'s. The Asus doens't have the soundstorm chip it uses a normal AC97 codec system. Epox 8rda+ doesn't come with the SPDIF bracket but it does have the soundstorm part of the southbridge....

2. wicked

wicked What's a Dremel?

Then what about the rojakpot article? It says there that in order to get SoundStorm certification the board must have
    but 8rda+ only has 3 audio connectors

3. Iceman

Iceman Staff

You can buy the spdif but i'm talking about the chip!! The asus doesn't even have that sound chip which is the point i'm making... AC97 on the asus is utter crap but the actual CHIP on the Epox is the Nvidia soundstorm chip.

4. wicked

wicked What's a Dremel?

Yes, the epox has the chip (i own one too) but for some reason epox has not packaged it with a complete SoundStorm solution. By that i mean extra outputs. The chip is there, but the board isn't certified.

Won't argue about the asus board.

5. Moo

Moo What's a Dremel?

Yeah theres some confusion between a soundstorm capable chip( I think its the MCP-T not MCP) and the Nvidia certified Soundstorm solution which must include an spdif output.
    Epox don't include the spdif with the board but you can buy it as an extra from them. Crazy no?

6. Iceman

Iceman Staff

Yeh certainly odd, costs £20 to get the bracket I think too. Seriously don't listen to the Asus onboard heh it's damn awful :)

7. ndtinker

ndtinker Car Washoholic

The Asus board: (A7N8X Deluxe)

1. Does NOT have onboard video, or at least I've never seen it.

2. DOES have SoundStorm (has SPDIF and tons of other connections) And it sounds great - much better than my old SB Live

3. I haven't had any "true" BIOS problems. I can't seem to OC it as fast with the latest BIOS, but I think It's my fault, not the boards.

(got my 2100 to 2700 out of the box, with watercooling, on the 1st try and thats with PC2100 RAM, which I left clocked at 133.)
    And all 3 RAM slots are populated, so no odd stability issues when doing that.

This board has hands-down been the easiest board I've ever installed. I'm having odd problems with my optical drives, but I just installed a new CDRW which I think is bad..

I have no worthwhile complaints. Get one.

8. wicked

wicked What's a Dremel?

I don't mean to threadjack, but what probs excactly? After burning cd-s and checking them, there are errors starting around 60% from the start? Or the nero scandisc shows the whole cd as yellow, damaged blocks?

edit: p.s. asus deluxe has soundstorm, non-dx hasn't...

9. Iceman

Iceman Staff

NDTinker we were talking about the non deluxe which is priced the same as the 8rda+. With regards to the problem with CDRWs goto device manager and find the nvidia hard disk controller, click update driver and install the microsoft one instead, the nvidia drivers suck.

10. ndtinker

ndtinker Car Washoholic

Aah.. I'll have to try that. Thanks!

The buffer on the CDRW fluctuates like crazy when burning at anything faster than 12x and half the time it can't read a CD when I put it in. This is for both my drives.

11. Fowler

Fowler mmm Cosworth

Yes *End argument ladies*

Shows over, thank you ladies and gentlemen!

:hip:

Thanks for all your advice guys it was useful!!