1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Blizzard surprised by Diablo 3 DRM reaction

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 5 Aug 2011.

1. runbmp

runbmp What's a Dremel?

PC gamers are just used to going back to old games they loved, heck I've fired up Grim Fandango this year... Being dependent on a 3rd party server has long term consequences which everyone seems to ignore.

I mean, servers go down eventually. Its not to say Actishit - Blizzard will have the server running for another 20yrs but it would be nice to know I have my character on a back up HD.

Its a shame blizzard has lost some of its traditional values it once had. However on the other end, it leaves room for new developers to rise up and get noticed. I think Torchlight and Guild Wars 2 are looking much better now. Sadly for me, this is my first blizzard title I'll be passing up on.

2. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Absolutely! I can't wait for the sequel!

And this will be the second Blizzard game I've missed now. Sad times.

3. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

Dear Blizzard, the problem is that I would like the option to play Diablo 3 when I don't have an internet connection such as when traveling or when the internet is down or when I can't afford internet access etc etc etc etc but that is quite alright evil Activision I'm sure the community will provide a crack to allow playing without internet access.
    Why can't they just make it like SC2?
    And why no mods?
    And I heard that the auction house will charge to list an items, then will sold will take a percentage of the sale price and charge again for the sale transaction?

I will still buy Diablo 3 but this is very disappointing especially from Blizzard of all companies...suppose I can just play SC2 or Torchlight when no internet access.

4. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

I will *never* buy any game which requires a continuous Internet connection to play offline.

I own Trackmania United, which is more fun online than not, but this seems to be an exception to the rule in my books.

Whats worse, is that the Offline version of the game will probably be hacked and uploaded somewhere, so those who don't buy it will be able to play through the offline without probs.
    The only people they are shafting, are their own customers.

We do not want to be in a world where we are 24/7 online. Offline games should stay offline, anyone requiring a full time internet connection for an offline game needs to explain himself better than this guy.

Why not give the user the choice at the creation of the character ?
    "Would you like to use this character in online play ? Yes/No"
    "btw, in the case of yes, you will need to be connected all the time you play the game."
    For the rest of us, we then have the choice of playing offline, having been fully warned.

I believe they have another reason for being online in all cases.
    Statistics and information gathering among them.

Last edited: 5 Aug 2011
  5. -=ByteMan=-

-=ByteMan=- What's a Dremel?

Ive been looking forward to this game for ages, I only have 3G/HSPDA mobile internet access. Why force an always online connection requirement a single player game WTF?. Im very disappointed

6. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

Clearly the problems gamers had with Ubisoft's similar system has passed you by.

It isn't just an Internet connection that's needed, a running server at Activision/Blizzard's end has to be there (so if they don't provide enough bandwidth, don't admin the server properly or get hacked, then people can't play) and a valid account (which means having to suck up to every provision in Blizzard's EULA or risk having your account and game disabled).

However if the idea of paying to be subject to the whims and fits of an arrogant and uncaring overlord appeals to you, then Diablo 3 will almost certainly be cheaper than the more traditional means of sating such desires, and has less risk of chafing, bruising or other injuries too.

7. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

B/c when your hdd fails you do not lose your character? Although if there server fails you do... unfortunately you have more control over your own drive than their server so there is nothing you can do when they have it to better protect your data.

8. Jqim

Jqim What's a Dremel?

for me this is like saying 'what if i want to play world of warcraft offline?'
    You dont, its not how the game is designed.

If you realy tihnk that this is an invasion of civil liberties I sugest you find a new hobby and good luck finding one that dosent have its own rules and oppressors.

9. Jqim

Jqim What's a Dremel?

Also, if this game gathers 'enough' people it will probably go free to play and make money off the auction house and other sutch stuff.

Would you still be bending over then?

This will go free to play in time mark my words. (of course this would not be a good idea for blizzar/activision to tell everyone right now)

10. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Except this one WAS designed for singleplayer.

Civil liberties? OK, I think you're going slightly OTT here. Noone said anything about civil liberties.

I doubt that VERY much. They would have done it with SC2 otherwise. This will go the same way. No sales, same price years after release, etc.

No, because I'm not paying MY MONEY to have it, so I expect less from it.

I'll mark your words, sure. However This IS ActiBlizz. I doubt they will give anything for free. Christ, I imagine they'd charge to piss on you if you were on fire, then call it the "Elite" option! ;)

11. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

No, it isn't. World Of Warcraft is specifically designed to be played online. You also pay a subscription which is, in effect, a licence fee to provide you with access to their servers in order to play the game.

Diablo 3 is not an online game. Yes, is has online modes and multiplayer etc. etc., but ultimately it's a single player hack and slash dungeon crawler which has absolutely no need to be permanently hooked to a net connection.

If there was any truth to your statement then surely the whole marketing model for Diablo 3 should be changed to be subscription based. To be honest i would prefer it that way if DRM is involved because it at least gives it a point, no pay - no play. That, however, would never work since a game such as Diablo will never have anything like the amount of content required to substantiate a subscription business model.

As it is, Diablo 3 is a straight up PC game. You'll be able to walk into a shop and buy it in a box from the shelf. Therefore you are purchasing something which belongs to you. I, personally, don't give two shits what any 'needs a connection' blurb bullcrap says on the back, if i've paid for it then i want access to it whenever and however i ****ing well want. Period.

12. Jqim

Jqim What's a Dremel?

I think it will go free to play because its a game centered around loot and the urge to have better things. Acti/bliz could offer those things or in a creative way offere services like the auction house.

I think some one in accounts said 'WoW makes loads of money, make this more like wow'

If you let 100 people play for free and 10 of them spend £4 a month on micro-transactions then that still makes money.

13. KiNETiK

KiNETiK What's a Dremel?

14. Jqim

Jqim What's a Dremel?

The real money is in getting you where they want you so they can see your playing habits and motivations and pander to them.

15. fatty beef

fatty beef State Side

I was unimpressed with Star Craft II, Though you could play it "offline" you didn't get achievements and what not. There was an option though.

Storing characters online not only lets them control the hacks but maybe (100% speculation) gives them rights in their ULA to data-mine your character for items used, picked up, skills used, not used, % of people playing by themselves, % of people who play with strangers, blah blah blah. Which can be used for balancing and making the game better and also used as a marketing tool based on region, age or whatever else you have loaded in your Blizzard profile. They will be able to do a lot of powerful stuff at a insignificant cost to them which is kind of a big deal.

I do however think it is kind of silly to make a "single player" game limited to online only. It'll probably still end up being fun.

Anyways, with Dues Ex, SkyRim, the Old Republic, Arkham City, Torchlight II, ect... You could just wait until its 29.99 sometime next summer and buy it then. There is enough stuff IMO to justify not purchasing this on release day.

16. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

don't care, not buying.. waiting for guildwars 2 but they're taking their sweet time

17. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Blizzard's not surprised?

Then they shouldn't be surprised I instead preordered Rise of Isengard and reupped my sub to LOTRO, which will function well even on minimal connections.

If I wanted a new MMO, I'd look for one. Diablo should be offline, single player capable (like the last two) or I'm not interested. Constant online in an MMO is acceptable to me, it makes sense in context of the program. In Diablo, it just doesn't.

I already own Torchlight, and am eagerly awaiting Torchlight 2. There's a response for you, Blizzard. Play a different game? Sure, I'll play one of your competitors. Exclusively.

18. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

No one can resist the chance to slap a hobbit :clap:

19. salarus

salarus What's a Dremel?

I am getting increasingly disgusted by the nonsense I hear from game companies, they must think us all iditos not to see through their veiled attempts at quelling outrage over obvious intrusion into purchased products. Apparently we should all just be content with the fact that some of us won't have the ability to play our purchased products when we might want to due to circumstances outside of control.

Here's one for you Blizzard, Go To Hell.

20. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

On the strength of the video linked to this news post it looks crap. Graphics remind me of Warcraft 3.

Tags: Add Tags