1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Euclideon promises unlimited graphical detail

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 2 Aug 2011.

1. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

I like the way you think.

S*D

2. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

So there is a bit of an Uncanny Valley type feeling about realistic graphics for some people eh. How odd.

I agree not all games are suited to realistic graphics. Sometimes stylised graphics work better. But things like racing games and shooters look and feel better the more realistic they get.

3. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

The thing that gets me, personally, is the growing dissonance between realistic looking worlds and characters and unrealistic elements and actions.

Mortal Kombat 9 is a perfect example of this. Something just feels really wrong about these very realistic looking characters getting their necks snapped and flesh ripped off with exposed bone, then continuing on with the fight like nothing happened. It's just not possible, there's huge amounts of realism and unrealism mixing together in a very unpleasant manner. Older games, or modern 2D fighters? No problem. They aren't real so unreal behaviour is perfectly acceptable.

It could be in any genre. The more realistic looking a racing game the more uncomfortable it feels when you crash straight into a wall and drive off like nothing happened. The more realistic an RPG the more confusing it is to jump 5ft. Advanced graphics put more pressure on the developer to properly utilize all of the tools at their disposal, they need to think about what visual style best fits their game rather than just what looks the most realistic.

4. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

anyone play with the grain effect on in mass effect 1.. on a crt?

it looked like you were in a movie, lcd the effect looks like ass.. same with crysis, try playing it on a crt sometime.. it's like your looking at real ground, leaves xD

still have a sony trinitron but it's stored.. just can't stand how much room a crt takes up anymore

5. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

An interesting perspective. I hadn't looked at it that way, nor had I really noticed these things while gaming. To me games are still so far from realistic that it is not apparent, to me anyway.

I prefer in racing games that when I crash I can keep going, it continues the fun rather than punishes. Unless it is a game like Burnout, where crashes are actually fun, and even rewarded.

Mortal Kombat I think I agree on. Not so much because it is unbelievable, it always was. But more because that style of fighter is tired and boring these days. Putting fancy graphics on MK or SF just isn't enough. Games like Soul Caliber are far more rewarding to play. They remind me of what the old 2d fighters felt like back in the day when those things were fresh-in terms of fun. Plus the rpg elements of armour, weapons, character creation and long and difficult story modes just makes them so much deeper.

Like I said in my post and you then reinforced, some games are better with a certain style rather than pushing for realistic. The advances made in the rush for realistic graphics will mean we will end up with amazing looking games in the end though. And that can't be a bad thing.

Nope, don't own a crt any more. And you're right, the film-grain effect on lcd looks nasty. I turned that crap off pretty fast!

6. dhughes

dhughes What's a Dremel?

I personally don't think anyone is misguided in the pursuit for realism but I wonder if when it actually get's "real" will it be as breath taking...

Let me explain my so called fear:

When I play beautiful computer games and then I look at something in real life, real life can often be less mesmerising. Less impactful as a game engine that is doing it's best to mimick real life.

What I possibly didn't explain is that if computer game engines get too life like they may loose that surreal majesty they have...

It's always nice being called weird but I guess that I have taken the time out to explain myself means you hit a cord. Ah well. Good luck with that.

I'll be wandering around Battlefield 3 gawping my face off getting shot at for not playing as I'm too distracted by how good it looks. ;)

7. stoff3r

stoff3r What's a Dremel?

<WTH.
    Problem with monitors these days is they have too big distance between dots. 0.2 was standard back in 2002 on smaller screens, it's gone downhill since and it's now OK to count the pixels with your bare eyes.

Ok That's a point at least. No reason to buy anything else these days. I like having unity across most gamers resolution. Makes optimizing easier for developers.

8. parallel379

parallel379 What's a Dremel?

9. Vegan Man

Vegan Man What's a Dremel?

Hello,
    If memory severs I remember reading an article in a pc games mag a while back purporting that if graphics look too real, the brain will look for more faults. As the conscious minds know that the game is a game, thus not being real, but as the game looks so real, the visual cortex becomes confused, so although it looks real, it becomes unbelievable, thus the brain tries to look for a disparity.
    Whilst this is going on inside the deep layers of the flesh the real you thinks the games is a load of pants, but actually it looks bob on. So if a game is made to look brill but not perfect then allegedly the visual cortex and the conscious mind will accept it as a game and not real life, supposedly increasing and improving the gaming experience, which of course is what it's all about.
    So no you’re not in a minority, as this has been thought about by serious boffins. I personally however would like to see this so called unlimited graphics potential. Ever seen Better than life Red Drwwwaaddddfff? GAME ON!!!
    I am up for total perfection in graphics.
    Cheers
    Vegan Man

Tags: Add Tags