1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New build for architecture student

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kaaa, 5 Aug 2011.

1. Kaaa

Kaaa What's a Dremel?

Helping my friend build a new computer for uni, and as it says he's doing architecture. Thinking about basing it on a i5 2500 but I'm not familiar with this kind of build. Not sure exactly what programs he'll be using but I know AutoCAD is one of them.

Budget: £600 - 800

Main uses of intended build: Architecture, ie AutoCAD etc

Parts required: Everything except monitor

Previous build information (list details of parts): Laptop, so nothing salvageable

Monitor resolution: 1920 x 1080

Storage requirements: Just 1TB hard drive should be fine

will you be overclocking: yes/no (delete as required) Probably not

Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers): n/a

TIA :)

2. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

I would suggest going for the enthusiast overclocker build fro the hardware building guide. Since he's doing CAD the CPU will be heavily taxed and overclocking it would speed up his renders.

3. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

When I specced out my laptop for school, I'm doing architecture as well. I went for processing power and RAM. So a CPU/board combo that is overclockable. Some good RAM, nice speed. A case that can easily be ventilated, since when rendering with Revit, or 3DS, your computer is going full tilt for a few hours. the current Quadros arent the lastest and greatest in architecture, so a 5XX Nvidia would get it along very nicely, but thats only if the program supports graphic card rendering to supplement the CPU.

Not sure on the pricing of things exactly, there or elsewhere for desktop components. So Im sorry for not recommending specific prices. If you really do desire a rendering graphics card, AMD Firepro is what Id go with currently.

Last edited: 6 Aug 2011
  4. Kaaa

Kaaa What's a Dremel?

Thanks guys, was thinking of using the overclocker build as a guide so I‘ll take it from there

5. llOriginll

llOriginll Minimodder

Nothing to contribute, just that I'm an Architecture student :D Tell him he's lazy for not building it himself :p

6. Kaaa

Kaaa What's a Dremel?

Haha! No problem, he knows pretty much nothing about computer parts so I‘ve been tasked with building it :laugh: What programs do you use on the course?

7. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

He'll need to when Murphy's law goes into full effect right before the projects are due.

8. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

Definitely get the 2500k pair with a asus p8p67 pro, 8gb of 1.5v ddr3 plus a gelid cooler. Set the vcore to 1.3 and clock it upto 4.5ghz.

As for storage a £40 1tb hdd for media or possibly 2TB as they have been as low as £50. Then add either a vertex 3 60gb or a crucial m4 64gb ssd for windows and programs. Go to 120gb if your budget can stretch too it.

A decent 650w psu like and antec or corsair.

Graphics card wise you need to see if the software you use can utilise it or not. Probably recommend either a Gtx560Ti or a HD6950.

Case is more of a personal choice just make sure it has decent air cooling.

Ive probably missed something but its late and that the best excuse i can come up with.:D

9. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Shhhiiiiitttt we are still using P4's with AutoCAD 2010 at work, it run pretty smooth if you don't have too many other things open

So I'd say stay within budget/don't go crazy unless you plan on rendering a lot

10. Farting Bob

Farting Bob What's a Dremel?

Oh but wait till the case is unveiled! He's spent 6 years refining the design for it!

11. Hereisphilly

Hereisphilly What's a Dremel?

If you dont need the card for gaming, drop down to a Nvidia 550. Autocad is more than enough for the card!

12. Kaaa

Kaaa What's a Dremel?

13. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

Looks decent to me, case looks to ventilate well, unlocked sandy bridge, fast ram in 4gb sticks, gigabyte motherboard. Seems good

14. Kaaa

Kaaa What's a Dremel?

Thanks :) Looking to buy it within the week, and then the fun of teaching him all about computers :hehe: