1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple sues HTC over Android

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Mar 2010.

1. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

shut up and go away. Read the article, read the patents, and if you still think that apple aren't being knobs, put £100 for every time you swumg on a swing in an envelope and send it to the guy who patented swinging on a swing.

This is the side of bit-tech I hate. F*ckwits who think that if you say something bad about apple, you must be a reterd. Steve Jobs is Jesus reborn and you are a bkaspheming devil. I can only hope it won't be long before they start blowing themselves up for their yuppie religion. Oh, and they better take their stupid macs pads pods and phones with them.

2. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

#5. Method Of Exercising a Cat
    "consists of directing a beam of invisible light ... onto the floor or wall ... then moving the laser so as to cause the bright pattern of light to move in an irregular way fascinating to cats."

LOL That's *EPIC* :D . Now that we've got funny webs about lolcats, fails, kludges, etc. it would be cool to have one about patents as well :D .

3. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

@Pieface

this the thing about forums and the internet that I love - textual hate crimes!!!!!

4. complover

complover What's a Dremel?

Well I hope Apple don't win, they're turning into a bit of a microsoft at the minute and throwing their toys out of the pram

5. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Well done. I must be an Apple "****wit" due to owning a Macbook, iPhone and iPod. Oh yes, I also own a gaming Windows computer, and spend a lot of time on there. I've also owned a macine running Ubuntu, so unlike you (Who I guess hasn't owned a Mac or iPhone) I believe I have a more experienced, and better view than you, and after owning a series of Windows laptops, I doubt I'd buy another Windows laptop. Heck, I'd never buy an iMac, but I'd buy Windows desktops for gaming. So don't call me an Apple fanboy. I owned a HTC mbile running windows, and I'd never buy another Windows mobile as the OS was too unstable. Notice how I don't resort to petty remarks about other products, even though I, unlike you probably, have used them? Because I'm open to all companies and OS', and products. If you've owned a Macbook, iPod and iPhone then yeah fine. But until you use them, don't act like a petty child dismissing products instantly without owning them.

That's like me saying I like Coca-Cola, and even though I never tried Pepsi I already hate it. You need to grow up and get out in the real world.

6. b5k

b5k What's a Dremel?

I'd never buy an Apple product again because:
    1) They're too expensive
    2) They're designed to be pretty, not practical
    3) They're locked platforms
    4) I had a Mac once, it was amazing. Then they changed it into an Intel PC at 4 times the price.
    Any professions that previously used Macs for their work (Graphic Design and Music Production lets say) are less likely to give two shits now. Why? Cause a Mac is now just a less functional PC.

5) Constant ******** and portraying technology as a "life style choice".
    Get a grip, it's a computer. It's like my screw driver set, I use it to perform tasks. It doesn't define what my life is - More of a stab at the marketing rather than products, but that's part of the company too. Does this count as a petty remark, or does this actually stand for something...

6) You don't own anything you've bought.
    As recently demonstrated by Apple banning a pair of software engineers from their Appstore for reverse engineering their software and creating tools to allow people more control of hardware they bought. They bought the phone, paid for the service and bought all their apps. Yet despite this Apple still sees fit to remove them from the store. Paying customers who support their product enough to want to do MORE with it...and they ban them from the app store. (p.s. that means you can't use the apps you paid for)

What right does the company I buy from have to take back things I've already bought. What right do they have to brick hardware I've paid for. If you spend £300 on an iPhone (or w/e they cost) only to find your hardware got bricked cause you jailbroke it so you could change your background and what ever the hell else it is you want to do, I think you'd be pretty angry.

There are numerous things Apple have done in the past to shade peoples view of their products. From my point of view it's mostly value for money but ethics also comes into it. If i pay through the nose for something, which i would with an apple product, I want the most functionality I can get out of it. It seems that Apple doesn't agree with this and wants to keep everything neatly refined and internal...Way to take your market places. This the reason for the patent troll(and that's what it is), if Google can release an open platform smartphone that's got the easy of use of an iphone? Bye bye iPhone.

"Smart Phone" will just become another device. It'll be common to have gestures with unlock icons to unlock your phone. Or sensors and processors hooked together by some form of magic to perform an action dependent on user input!

Edit: The one exception to rule #2 i found was those tiny iPod shuffles. The ones that are just like a little piece of metal. Since there's no glass on them it's pretty easy not to scratch it or make it look shitty. I've always thought that if you have to sell protective covers seperately for your devices, you're not designing them right...and looking at the number of covers for iPhones...

Last edited: 5 Mar 2010
  7. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

the US patent system seriously needs to be trashed

Cateye likes this.
  8. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Actually, Apple design their products to be very practical. That's the whole reason for the "It just works out of the box" marketing. You're capable enough to tinker within a Windows or *nix environment, and that's cool. A lot of people don't want to deal with upgrading parts or downloading drivers. They want a computer that just works, and Apple is happy to deliver. Incidentally, this addresses your other points. Because of the locked system, Apple is able to pretty much guarantee ease of use. As a result, they also are free to charge a premium for that luxury. A lot of people choose to pay the premium so that they don't have to deal with the many "features" in Windows.

I don't really see Apple doing anything different than any other computer company. Indeed, I would say they're doing the same as just about every company, in every industry. From household appliances to cars, and yes, even Windows ("I'm Bob, and I'm a PC!"), most companies market their products as lifestyle choices.

I'll concede that few, if any, people actually read the terms and conditions of the software they use, but Apple have plainly stated that you don't own anything you buy in the App Store. It's understandable to be upset that something you paid for no longer works. I'd be upset, too. I would also understand that I willingly entered the agreement. If I don't like it, I can always shop somewhere else.

Interestingly, that section goes on to outline the difference between Apple-developed apps and third-party-developed apps. If a third party app no longer works, Apple has made it clear that they are not responsible. You have to take it up with the person who developed the app. Then again, nobody reads the Terms and Conditions.

Furthermore, I bet that Microsoft have similar things in their Terms and Conditions, as will just about all the smart phone app marketplaces. That is not unique to Apple.

Incidentally, here is the important bit from XP Pro's terms (bold emphasis is mine):
    I think people would be amazed at how many things they paid for, but don't really own.

Sorry, but you can buy an accessorizing cover for every device. Again, that is not unique to Apple.

9. alastor

alastor Minimodder

10. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

11. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

12. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Maemo.

13. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

apple suck balls

14. sompo

sompo What's a Dremel?

yeah...HTC is the best in the world......love it.

Tags: Add Tags