1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress WHY PLY 9th July 2011 (7th August Walnut COMPLETED)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Bugste81, 9 Jul 2011.

1. Karrek

Karrek Minimodder

I wonder how hard it would be to mod the PSU so that the plug comes out a different side...? (I don't have one near me to pull apart and look inside). of course, you would be voiding the warranty...

If you don't have more veneer, you could always put a trim around the edges, either wood or maybe a angle aluminum painted white... just a thought.

2. Karrek

Karrek Minimodder

by the way, I think that it is incredible that we are still on the first page of posts, and already seen 3-4 revisions of the case! Nice job! That is quick work.

3. Bugste81

Bugste81 Stephen

That's a really good idea regarding the Trim. I'll have a look into that. I was considering painting the 4mm side panel edges white. I've also got spare power leads so no harm done having a look at modding one. Thanks

4. Omoobhs

Omoobhs One giant fsb hole

What a transformation! The finish & the white grills look great together.

As for that screw, I think you should melt it down after the headache it has caused you. ;)
    Looking forward to seeing more!

5. Bugste81

Bugste81 Stephen

WHY PLY (Completed Walnut Case 7th August 2011)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

System Specs UPDATE

CPU: Intel Core i7-930 clocked 4 GHz
    GPU: Gainward GTX 480 + ASUS GTX 480 (SLI)
    Hard disks: 3x 1TB Samsung F3, 1x 500GB Samsung F1
    Memory: 6GB Corsair 1600GHz
    Motherboard: Asus P6X58D-E
    Sound card: Creative X-FI Titanium Pro Fatal1ty
    Power Supply: Antec Quattro 1000W
    Cooling: 2x Silver stone 180mm Air Penetrator, 2x 120mm Sharkoon Silent Eagle
    Display: Dell U2711

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The case is ready for the swap over.
    [​IMG]
    The remade side panel edges were sprayed white to give a more finished appearance. Although I wanted to be able to put any component in without modification I made an exception for the DVD writer. It just looked better.
    [​IMG]
    By popular demand the case stickers have made a welcome comeback.
    [​IMG]
    Building on the helpful idea of long thumb screws to support the graphics and sound card I used some 3mm threaded bar and nuts.
    [​IMG]
    Between the Birch Plywood and Walnut build I upgraded to a second GTX 480 Graphics Card. After experiencing SLI with my old GTX 280's I was equally impressed with the new upgrade. I wouldn't hesitate recommending it particularly if you can source one second hand. As two cards share the load they're not being stressed as much as one card so the fan's aren't revving up in the same way making it quieter. There is the power draw to factor in but least the heating is taken care of in the winter.
    [​IMG]
    Much more care and attention was spent on the wiring this time!
    [​IMG]
    18 screws are used per side panel. Hopefully this should deter me trying to upgrade again any time soon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It takes much longer to spray things white than it does black!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not sure if the back really needed the extra ventilation?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As the idea of making my own case came to me last April I've spent the last three and a half month on and off designing and making this case. That is along time to spend on any one design but the satisfaction of seeing it finished and knowing that I'll still be using it for years to come is well worth the effort. Although I'd planned on the Birch Plywood case being the final article it would have niggled that it didn't have that finished feel to it. I'd like to thank my Fiancé for her patience even though it did crack a couple of times. And thanks for looking and taking an interest in my case build.

6. MeddlE

MeddlE Norwegian Blue

Really nice work although I personally preferred the birch ply finish.

7. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

Really nice work, my only concern is what happens when you mouse has a fit and you need to undo 18 screws in order to wiggle the usb around :S

I'm sure your well under way with modding you desk with walnut :p

Nice Build and Grats on the speedy construction!

8. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

id also see if you cant move the 2nd GPU, while sli is good, you wanna beware that you dont starve the 'top' card of fresh air ;)
    great project tho, keep it up :rock: :rock:

9. Bugste81

Bugste81 Stephen

Thanks for the response. It's fairly straight forward to sort the cables. The white mesh on the top can be easily moved. Sli wise I've got MSI Afterburner installed which balances the temps and fans speed pretty well. The cooling blowing upwards works better than I was expecting. Going to keep the desk Birch ply. Keeps everyone happy that way plus I've really got to get more wedding plans sorted or there won't be one.