1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding acrylic cement

Discussion in 'Modding' started by sheepgoat, 13 Mar 2003.

1. sheepgoat

sheepgoat What's a Dremel?

i got my acrylic for my new case :clap: :clap:

i was wondering what type of cement i should use to glue it to itself? and where i can get it in the us. this is all i could find, i'm not sure if its what i need. us plastics cement

thanks

2. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

Use IPS Weldon #4

You can get it at delvies

US Plastics carries it too but couldn't find a direct link

Go ahead and order some Novus #1 while your at it from either one too.

3. linear

linear Minimodder

^^^ what he said.

(with that avatar, I keep expecting "fellow babies...")

4. sheepgoat

5. eddie_dane

right, the 16 is the consistancy of syrup... I know they have it but like I said, I couldn't find it easily on their site. That reminds me, you may want to order some syringes or applicator bottles too while your at it for applying the stuff. Because, as you said, it's the consistancy of water.

And now fellow babies... here's Sly and the Family Stone....I've also been asked to tell you to stop dumping your garbage on the steps of city hall... and oh yeah..... BOOOOOGGGGAAAAAAR!"

6. sheepgoat

oh ok. that dim little led just went off in the back of my head. if #4 which is like water, what would #1 be?

7. eddie_dane

... don't know... I've only seen #4 (water) and 16 (syrup)

for some reason, they start with #3

8. sheepgoat

ok, i just cannot find it.

they have it at http://www.ridoutplastics.com/ips4.html but you have to order more than $100. that's the only place online that i could find it.

i also called all the local stores, but they don't have it either.

does anyone know where i can get it?

9. linear

linear Minimodder

Also Tap Plastics and Regal Plastics.

10. sheepgoat

i feel pretty stupid, i totally missed the "you can get it at" part.

Thanks linear. my weld-on 4 is on its way!!!

*starts singing* i'm so excited ....

11. daydreamingknight

daydreamingknight What's a Dremel?

I purchased some of the Solvent Cement you listed from usplastics with my recent order. I tested it on some scrap overnight and it holds very, very well. I was impressed!

But this is my first time using it or anything like it so I don't know how it ranks amonst the cements, etc. I will be using it on the acrylic parts and judging by the test run I have no worries it will work just fine for me.

Good luck!

DDK

12. eddie_dane

the main difference between #4 and #16 are consistancy and work time. 16 is like syrup and has a short worktime meaning it cures much faster. #4 is like water and you apply it with capillary action because it is like water and cures much slower. TBH I'm not sure of the strength differences once the two are cured but I would venture a guess they are very similar, just have different work times.

13. linear

linear Minimodder

And one other tip--you can thicken up the #4 or #3 by adding some shavings of acrylic to it (like the swarf from drillling). You'll ruin your needle bottle if you do it, but you could use a disposable syringe, I kind of like the control better with that anyhow.

The downfall of the sovlent cements is their tendency to attract water. If you cement in humid conditions, you can get some clouding. My local plastics guru tells me he mixes his own cement for the day based on the relative humidity at the moment. :rock: This guy has spent the last 15 years building acrylic boxes all day long, so I guess he knows what he's talking about.

Anyway, I've never run into strength problems, I did several "test to destruction" joints with scrap and was impressed as could be with the strength of a glue joint (done correctly).

14. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

if u blew compressed air through the applicator, would it not clear it?

15. linear

linear Minimodder

depends on whether you let the glop solidify inside the needle.

16. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

Resurrecting a dead thread.

I just purchased some weldon. I will be using it for the first time this week. You guys refer to capillary action. I am assuming, by this term, that you clamped the pieces together, then used a syringe or something simliar to apply the Weldon to the seams? I am hoping for a water tight seal, is this the best way to go, or should I put the Weldon on one edge...let it soften the acrylic, then put them together?

17. ClearCaseMan

ClearCaseMan Acrylic GOD

the diffrence is the 16 has acrylic desolved in it already. it isnt actually a glue it desolves the acrylic and dries then the peices are bonded I personally use comstik or rezinbond both of which are more forgiving weldon uses wood alcohol which atracts moisture and can turn white over time

18. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

let us not forget our buddy cyanoacrylate(superglue) is good at this also...

19. ClearCaseMan

ClearCaseMan Acrylic GOD

it is good with the exception that it will make any finger prints near it turn white

20. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

Uhm, ok. I need to know the easiest application here. You guys are talking about the old discussion. My question is: if I clamp the material into final position, and then apply the Weldon to the seam will it "suck up" into the seam, or do I need to apply the Weldon, then clamp.