1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases Define R3, CM 690 II Advanced, HAF 912 or?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by anotherusername, 5 Aug 2011.

1. _Vermin

_Vermin Fallout

I think the HAF 912 in my opinion.
    Sleek design, good cooling, even through you only get 2 fans with the case, and some really good features like the SSD cage and the HDD caddy.

2. CopperX

CopperX IT Support BOFH @ a Uni.

As someone has already said, it's all down to personal preference.

I'd consider the R3 as my next case purely down to that it looks good, does a very good job of keeping stuff cool and quiet whilst also not being too 'shouty' or in your face about what it does. Love it's subtle looks.

3. anotherusername

anotherusername What's a Dremel?

I've just placed an order for the R3 with CCL (it's on special offer at £64 with them at moment in case anyone else is thinking of getting one). My main concern was that it wouldn't be much good at cooling, but as it seems like it will do fine at that I'm going for the quieter option.

Thanks for all your input everyone :) I'll let you know how I get on with it, though it will be a little while before I build a computer inside it (will be going away later this month so thought I'd better wait till I get back).

4. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Positive pressure in the case is key. If you want to get really serious then two 120mm Silverstone Air Penetrators up front and a 120mm Be Quiet! USC Silent Wings fan in the bottom all set as intakes is the way to go. This way all the intakes are properly filtered and a 120mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon in the rear can ditch excess heat build up, job done!

Also for £64 you can't go far wrong with an R3!

5. Meaty Pete

Meaty Pete King of the Potato People

I would go for the R3 no question good cooling best looking and quietest of the bunch

6. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

Personally I want to like the R3, but I just HATE cases with doors--I always end up ripping them off.

I have a 690 II Advanced and I'm completely satisfied with it, absolutely recommend it in every way. Very solid quality construction and finish, excellent airflow and good WC potential, all the little features you'd expect and all at a great price. Doesn't look complete butt like an HAF either :p

7. Meaty Pete

Meaty Pete King of the Potato People

Plus I think u will go off aggressive styled cases quicker than the R3

8. anotherusername

anotherusername What's a Dremel?

I'm now back from holiday and have my new R3 waiting for me to do something with it. First impressions (just from looking at it, not started building the computer in it yet) are similar to what I expected - I'm not a huge fan of the door as it is rather plain looking and gives that bit of extra hassle with disk access, but I think I can live with it if it helps make the case quiet.

The build quality is quite good but not great - particularly bothering me is that the side panel doesn't seem to fit very tightly against the case. I.e. it's as if there wasn't the centre clips, or whatever those things are called, holding the panel in, but just the end ones. I first thought I hadn't fitted it right, but I checked 3 times and I'm sure that's how it is. Wasn't bad enough for me to return it, and I'm sure I'll stop noticing it when I'm not inspecting, but I wonder if others have had this problem? I do like the textured metal finish though, and I love having the unused fan grills covered - a simple but very useful idea.

The main test of course will come when I actually use the thing, as I'm more interested in how it performs than looks. I've started ordering some parts that will work in any system (the things like the disk drives - couldn't resist a crucial M4 SSD), and now I'm holding out to see what Bulldozer is like.